1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cooper/Warmack

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Rack Bauer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I would normally agree, but this is a weaker draft at the top end. Joekel would have had a tought time cracking the top eight a year ago.
    In the end, I'm betting one of the two guards is available at #18.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,517 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    They MAY go Top 15, but I (like you) find that highly unlikely.

On draft day, pass rushers rise, tackles rise, secondary rises, qb's rise, etc.

Mike Iupati rose like a rocketship leading into the draft and he still wasn't picked till 17th overall. And even then, the 49ers only pounced because they had taken an OT 7 picks earlier.

Speaking of which - props to the 49ers for having the testicular fortitude to spend two first rounders on the offensive line in a single draft. I couldn't even imagine Jerry allowing something like that, two first rounders and not a single one is going to be scoring touchdowns and starring in Papa John's commericals? He'd lose his mind.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I have to agree with this, overall this draft appears to be soft so far at the top so the guards could actually rise this time. You have to look at the strength of a draft at premium positions in order to determine where players will fall early in that draft, and this draft is really weak at QB and CB (at least so far) so others will move up.

The grades are nowhere near finished but the top 5-6 players in last years draft would probably go in that order again in this draft with almost all these guys falling after them.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,367 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    You can stop the Warmack/Cooper debate. Jerry said he is looking skill positions first. Lets hope for devine intervention.
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,220 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  6. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

897 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    Smokescreens
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,367 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Dont think so. I always thought this draft would go 1) DL 2) S/skill 3) OL, now I really think that. I definitely dont think OL unless by some miracle Fisher or Johnson is there at 18. DL has to be round one because Spencer is gone and they didnt have the bodies there to start with.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,367 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Say hello to your new 1st rounder Cordarell Patterson.
  9. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

715 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    it's silly to put any stock whatsoever in anything anyone says this time of year regarding the draft
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,408 Messages
    1,795 Likes Received
    most bestestist...
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,324 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Every team knows every other team's needs.

I don't believe in smokescreens and I don't believe people at the top do either. They may try to hide interest in particular players, but they won't in regards to position.

Jerry's telling the truth.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    They won't go in the Top 17. Neither one of those guys is that special, and no one wants to spend a Top 15 draft pick on a guard if there are guys at higher premium positions worthy of the pick. Warmack is a stubby fat plodding phonebooth mauler. There's nothing premium or unique about that skill set. You can find guys in the 3rd round who that skillset. Just take a big slow footed college right tackle and move him inside.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    You have no clue what youre talking about.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    People said that last year when I said "the bestestests guard who ever guarded" wouldn't get drafted with a Top 15 pick. Turns out I shot too high. Here's the thing about guards ... every college starts two of them, and most college tackles can be moved inside for the NFL. There's just more supply of people who can do that job compared to elite pass rushers, blinside tackles, cover cornerbacks and cataclysmic offensive playmakers. Look up the history. It's been well over a decade since a team took a guard with a Top 15 pick. A NFL team taking a guard with a Top 15 pick is an anomaly, I wouldn't count on two anomalies happening in the same year. Neither of these guys are in the Steve Hutchinson category of "all around" no brainer, and they both have holes in their game.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,644 Messages
    404 Likes Received

Not arguing with you on where they will get drafted.....your ridiculous evaluation of Warmack is the part where you have no idea what you are talking about. I hope there was a lot of sarcasm in that post.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,572 Messages
    2,738 Likes Received
    This is exactly right. One of the guards might be off the board before Dallas picks, but it's unlikely. And we wouldn't take the other, anyway. We'll wait until the second, or even the third round to take one, depending how things shake out.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,517 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    He's right that guards drop but obviously has no idea about the talent.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    What would be sarcastic? That Warmack is short, fat slow footed phone booth guy? He's all those things. He's 6'2", plays with a huge gunt hanging over his belt and he ran a 5.5 among the slowest of all offensive linemen at the Combine. He's going to struggle in the NFL in space blocking athletic linebackers on the 2nd level, he's going to probably be a liability in the screen game and he's going to be a bad fit in any zone blocking system. He's not nearly the all around player that Steve Hutchinson was who could dominate in-line and on the move. Again, those phonebooth blocker skillsets are just generally not that rare. You can take a big slow college RT and move him inside and provide that skillset. The Ravens have bookend guards doing exactly that.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,517 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Now why didn't we think of that?
  20. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Then if you don’t have the bodies to start with (or very nearly) then you shouldn’t be attempting the move to a Kiffin 4-3 scheme in one year.

What happens if you don’t get the guys you want in the draft?