1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cory Procter Capable Of Drumming To His Own Beat

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Angus, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Procter Capable Of Drumming To His Own Beat
    05:33 Mon 07-12-10 | by Andy Kent

Understanding cadence is a responsibility of an NFL offensive lineman that often gets overlooked, but new Miami Dolphins guard Cory Procter has a strong grasp of this on and off the field.

During a game, Procter, 27, and his line mates have to be familiar with the cadence of quarterback Chad Henne’s voice so that when he’s barking out the signals under center they don’t get whistled for a false start. When he’s not lifting weights, running sprints or practicing his blocking techniques under the watchful eyes of Head Coach Tony Sparano and offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, Procter likes to hone his own cadence skills on the drums.

What started as a fun side hobby in middle school during music class after his teacher moved him from the saxophone section to the percussion section has developed into the makings of a legitimate post-football career for the Gig Harbor, Washington native. He is the drummer for Free Reign, a Texas-based heavy metal band comprised of himself, Dallas Cowboys offensive linemen Marc Columbo and Leonard Davis and Davis’ good friend since high school, Justin Chapman.

“It wasn’t until my second offseason in the league and first in Dallas that I found out that Marc Columbo was in a band in Chicago when he was there,” said Procter, who spent four seasons with the Cowboys from 2006-09 before being released in May and signed by Miami as a free agent in June. “So he had an old beater kit that I banged around on and we had a lot of fun with it just jamming on our own. It kind of progressed on its own without us really pushing it before Leonard got involved.”

As a duo, Procter and Columbo, who sings lead vocals and plays rhythm guitar, first played a charity event for Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman at a small bar and restaurant. They then got invited by head coach Wade Phillips to perform at a team family day during one of the mini-camps, and that’s where Davis felt compelled to break out his bass guitar and join the group.

From small functions with friends and family in the audience, the trio moved up to performing at bigger venues like the House of Blues for a charity gig and after lead guitarist Chapman made it a legitimate foursome, the Granada Theater in Dallas. They soon developed a cult following and started taking their music more seriously with long practice sessions and time spent writing their own music – all while Procter, Columbo and Davis still had to stay in football shape and be ready for the grind of a regular season.

“During the season, it’s non-existent,” Procter said. “We talk about the band and maybe on a day off I could get on the drums. The drums are the physical one, especially the kind of music we play because it’s not really quiet music. Our genre’s metal with a lot of heavy riffs, heavy guitars, big drums and a lot of screaming. Columbo does the screaming, but the thing is, he’s good at it and his vocals have come a long way. All of us have, and there used to be a big gap between Justin and the rest of us but now we’re all pretty close.”

It was Chapman who pushed the band to take their music to the next level and pursue a recording contract, which they landed last year with an Australian record label. They released a five-song EP called “Tragedy,” and are close to finishing up the full-length album with eight songs. Procter actually was in the studio in Dallas laying down the drum tracks when he was released by the Cowboys, so now he’s in South Florida while the rest of the band is back in Texas.

One benefit of having three members of the band as physically imposing as Procter, Columbo and Davis is the fact that heckling from the crowd is a rarity. Chapman, who has been a serious musician most of his life, has enjoyed the unique experience of playing live music with three professional football players, but he doesn’t consider Free Reign to be a novelty act. In fact, he has been thoroughly impressed with Procter’s talent as a drummer.

“To me, Cory’s probably the most talented one in the band. He’s probably the best at what he does than the rest of us,” Chapman said. “I would say he’s easily the best drummer that I’ve ever played with, and I’ve played with quite a few drummers. It’s just easier to write songs with him and work with him. He’s real easy to work with, and the drummers I’ve played with in the past have been temperamental and had issues, but Cory, he’s got the skills, he’s a nice guy and he’s just easy to work with.”

Procter is just as complimentary of Chapman, Columbo and Davis, which makes the current separation even more difficult. He considers playing music his escape from football and his way of having fun. He took fun to a new level with Columbo and Davis when they got to meet Metallica backstage. Pantera drummer Vinny Paul has come to two of Free Reign’s shows, one in Las Vegas at the House of Blues. They also played a big rock festival in San Antonio and attended the Golden God Awards, where they were presented with the award for Most Metal Athletes by Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine, and Chapman, who missed meeting Metallica, got to go to the Playboy Mansion.

Of course discipline and commitment are the keys to being a successful music act, just as they are to being a successful athlete, so Chapman realizes that how far Free Reign can go is limited by the football responsibilities of his three fellow band members. He considers all of them legitimate musicians and capable of being competitive in the industry, but for now, Procter is content with having fun being a heavy metal drummer by night and a football player by day. And his new teammates are eager to see that other side.

“Actually, a number of guys asked me when am I going to do a show down here,” Procter said. “You never know. One of these days it might happen. That would be pretty sweet.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/procter-capable-drumming-his-own-beat
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,429 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    So glad this guy isn't in Dallas anymore.