1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cost to keep or cut Doug Free

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Nov 27, 2012.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,571 Messages
    1,855 Likes Received
    It appears that they may have intended to just sign him to a 2-year contract for 8.5 mil per year while pushing about half of the salary cap charge to 2013 and 2014.

Free’s contract had a 10.3 mil signing bonus that would be prorated over 4 years. It had a 4.8 mil “restructure” bonus in 2012 that would be prorated over 3 years. His 2011 (0.7 mil) and 2012 (1.2 mil) salary were guaranteed.

If Free is cut after 2012, then you could consider his contract as:
    2 years at 8.5 mil per year (17 mil total contract value)

The Salary Cap charges for each year would be:

If cut after 2012:

2011 - 3.275 mil
    2012 - 5.375 mil
    2013 - 4.175 mil
    2014 - 4.175 mil

If kept for all 4 seasons:
    2011 - 3.275 mil
    2012 - 5.375 mil
    2013 – 11.175 mil
    2014 – 12.175 mil
  2. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The way that he's played this year I believe the team must/will cut their losses with him. I just don't see it being too difficult to replace his performance. He's getting manhandled on a regular basis. Many of us thought his signing was a good move at the time.
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,390 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    andddddd he's gone. No way he is in a cowboys uniform next year. Should have let him go to the bucs when they were trying to sign him.
  4. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

791 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    If I'm not mistaken his 2013 base salary is 7 million and his 2014 is 8 million so it would be 7.5 million per year.

Doug Free signed a 4 year 32 million dollar contract at the age of 27. The first two years were guaranteed at 17 million, the next two years are unguaranteed at 15 million (this remains the case even after restructure, it just distributes where the cap hit goes).

This contract was DEFINITELY NOT designed to cut him after two years. It is a very normal looking contract, with slightly less in the final two years than the first two years. Most NFL contracts do not have guarantees past the first two years. He was a young lineman, we made a contract to keep him during all four of his peak years.

A contract designed to cut someone would look like this: 4 years, 32 million, 12 million guaranteed. 10 million dollar signing bonus. Base salaries: 2011: 1 million 2012: 1 million 2013: 10 million 204: 10 million

Having said that, he is a bust, and we should cut him after two years.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,160 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    If free is released, then is will be a 8.35 million cap hit next here or you can make him a june 1st cut and spread that 8.35 over two years.

I say cut him after June 1st. The cap hit is over 11 million if we keep him.

Were you getting 17.5 million, you only get hit with the remaining signing bonus left
    We already paid the 2011 and 2012
  6. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,446 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    Jerry seems to think the line is amazing. Don't count on serious changes.
  7. SDCowboy85

14,446 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    So if Free and Miles are cut, it will save almost $9m on the cap next season? Going to be an interesting off season.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,223 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    He is NOT worth over $11 million as he has played this season. So to keep him for 2013 the staff would have to think he can get a LOT better then he has shown this year
  9. Dallas4ever

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No argument there. Jerry believed Free was the first piece to stabilizing the Oline. No way he was thinking of having to replace him after two years. I'm willing to bet that he has "buyers remorse" now.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,566 Messages
    1,883 Likes Received
    I don't know what they are going to do. Cutting him is risky as I don't know if we have an adequate replacement. And I hate to go into another year by adding questions. However, I don't know they can pay him that much money. This is what happens when you don't draft well.
  11. Dallas4ever

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received

I'm not. I'll enter next year the same as this one if they don't. Hopeful, but not hardly surprised by poor results. You don't need Sherlock Holmes to figure out this crime. The suspect is still holding the weapon. :D
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,223 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    Free was the ONLY starter that we developed on the O line from a pick that was not at least from the second round since the 1990's.
    And now he has fallen off the cliff.

That is epic fail
  13. Dallas4ever

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received

This is the main issue. The team clearly will not be in a position to pay him that salary.
  14. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

119 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Free isn't getting cut. Callahan is going to tell Jerry he can fix him.

As much as I can't stand Jerry and his act, I'm quite sure he didn't find Livings and Bernadeau on tape all on his own and determine that those two would be the saviors of the o-line.

He had help there. I doubt Callahan is going to throw his arms up and proclaim he can't work with Free.

Jerry will believe he can fix him because that what he wants to believe.

They aren't taking the cap hit on Free, he'll be here.
  15. SDCowboy85

14,446 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    After the way this oline has performed this season, Callahan can hit the road with him.
  16. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The way I see it is that Free is only 1/3 of the problem. You still are going to need better pieces at center and right guard as well. Might have to give Parnell a shot at RT while spending resources at the other two spots. So many turkeys with so few shells.

Craig
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,571 Messages
    1,855 Likes Received
    I doubt that it is worth explaining again; however, his base salaries are:
    2011 - 0.7 mil
    2012 - 1.2 mil
    2013 - 7 mil
    2014 - 8 mil

The 1st 2 years of base salary were guaranteed and there was a 2011 signing bonus of 10.3 million and a 2012 restructuring bonus of 4.8 million. The 0.7 + 1.2 + 10.3 + 4.8 equal the 17 million guaranteed.

All of the guaranteed money will have been paid to Free by the end of the 2012 season; HOWEVER, from a Salary Cap perspective only 8.65 mil of the 17 mil has been charged to the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

There is 8.35 mil of the prorated bonus money that will be charged to the 2013 and 2014 seasons with or without Free on the Team.

The 2013 (7 mil) and 2014 (8 mil) base salaries will only be paid and will only be applied to the 2013/2014 Salary Caps if he remains on the team.

This is correct!
  18. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,160 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    If Free is cut he will be a 2.825 million cap saving. If he is cut after June 1st he will be a 7 million cap savings but will still hit the team with a 4 million cap hit in 2014.

If Austin is cut he will be a 3.592 cap savings.

Total together will be 6.417 or 10.592 if free is a June 1st cut.

Now you have to worry about a replacement. Free agent OTs are expensive but its hard to find a day one starting RT in the draft last the 1st round.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,179 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Not sure what this has to do with drafting? Young players ascend and you either pay them or don't. We paid Free (who was a very good draft pick) and he apparently stopped working as hard. There was the lockout in there as well but he looks slower and weaker in every area. Typical "got his money" scenario imho.

Free is a marginal NFL starter at RT. Sadly, there actually are worse starters.

He just isn't worth LT money which is what he was paid. Tampa was going to sign him as an LT.

Were Free making 2.5-3m a year we could build the OL at other positions around him or add a dominant blocking TE to help. But he can't eat as much of the cap as he does to suck.
  20. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    Give him a chance at guard before cutting him.

The Cowboys considered cutting Kevin Gogan (played RT) before they moved him to guard and he turned into a pretty good player.