1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cost to keep or cut Doug Free

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    Between Bern and Costa you should have a starting OC.

Right Guard will need to be addressed but is a far lesser priority than RT which is probably the 1st or 2nd priority depending upon what happens with Spencer.

Would be very, very nice to have Bern as your Interior Swing OL and Parnell as your 3rd OT. I'd brign Cook back as my 8th OL and last active OL weekly. Hopefully he could play some TE on goal line and short yardage. Dallas is about two solid OL away from being sound there. But even then they need to get some breaks with health. They can't have 4 or 5 guys go down by mid-season.

Another good draft and free agency year will go a long way. But they absolutely have to get better injury results than this year.
  2. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,053 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    I think that is exactly what he will do. Callahan didn't scout him or draft him. He wasn't here when Free was signed to a ridiculous extension. He has no culpability unless he actually says "I can fix him." Far easier to say "I never would have taken him or extended him" which is probably true looking at Free flounder out there now.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    Gogan didnt make 8 mil per year.

Money is the bigger issue.
  4. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    949 Likes Received
    Maybe he can earn his chow as a guard?

Why cut him before at least giving him an opportunity to compete somewhere on the line.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I would have to look at free agency for the replacement or early in the draft, round 1 or 2 for a starting RT. Loadholt would be top on my list for a free agent but he will cost some money to get. Also OG and center can be looked at in the draft. You can find a day one starting OG in the second round. I would look for a veteran center and also look in tje first three rounds for a center.

If we can get a defensive play maker in the first then trade back and stock pile picks and collect OL and DL
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    I am 99.99% sure Free will be a June 1st cut.
    The cap savings is just insane.
    Dallas would probably cut him even if was a solid RT.

With 7 mil in cap savings Dallas can literally sign the best RT available.
    We gave Carr 50m and he is costing us 3 on this year's cap.
    We signed Free before the nastier, tighter cap and when we thought he was a LT.
    Dallas grabbed Tyron Smith because they wanted to add a bellcow but expected at the time Free could be the LT and Smith the RT. Free's freefall meant that couldn't happen long-term.
    Free's money has to be totally off the books before we extend Smith.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    Nobody can truly earn 8m per at OG.
    That is the issue.

Even if Free were Larry Allen we can't pay everyone tons of money.
    Next year Dallas will have the Romo restructure working to keep the cap down so they can use some cash to "re-set" the roster in line with this new cap reality. That likely means adios to Miles and Free. Jay Ratliff may get a look as could Scandrick (especially if Jenkins looks good in the slot this last month plus).
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,860 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    I agree with JT.

Unless there is a miraculous turn-around Free is gone.

Austin is probably gone too.

I'd go 50/50 on Ratliff and Scandrick.
  9. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    You are not explaining anything I don't already know...

Have you looked at a lot of NFL contracts? Almost EVERY contract is built that way: First 2 years guaranteed, with the vast majority of that guarantee coming as a signing bonus and very little base salary in the first 2 years. What determines if a player is or is not going to be cut is primarily what the amount of base salary is (unless a team has done a terrible job with their cap situation) for those additional years.

Miles Austin's contract. 2011: $17.078 million 2012: $1.15 million, 2013: $6.732 million, 2014: $5.5 million, 2015: $6.888 million, 2016: $11.38 million

Look at the 2016 salary. Clearly, he is going to be cut at the end of 2015. That's how contracts designed for cuts are designed.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    949 Likes Received
    I am good with all players mentioned above being gone given their lack of production this season. Next man up! :D
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,404 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    A nice example of the contract structures that I've mentioned a few times in other threads. Too bad lots of folks here don't get it.

What is interesting is the first year cap hit. Notice how for even a really big deal that hit is very low. It isn't even half of his 8 mill a year average. When people scream about how dead money keeps us from signing guys, it really makes me wonder if they understand that when you sign guys, the first year or two tend to be very cap friendly.

All that said, I think that we do want to keep Free but are going to ask him to take a salary cut. Even if he cuts his base down to 2 mill a year, it is likely more than he'll get on the "Free" market -- that would cut 5 and 6 mill off his cap charge in each year
  12. MichaelWinicki

31,860 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    I think the chances are very good that there is discussion concerning Free taking a salary cut.

Given his play he's not going to get any large deals elsewhere.

As of today Doug Free is the 64th rated tackle in the NFL (out of 74) per PFF.
  13. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I'm not very high on Costa. Anyway you slice it though you are going to have to get better up front in whatever combination that makes sense.

Craig
  14. craig71

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received

Maybe so.

As long as the line gets addressed I am fine with however they go about it.

Craig
  15. craig71

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received

I'd lean toward Ratliff being cut before Scandrick.

Craig
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,404 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    What continues to intrigue me about the guy is that he does have some good games -- he was good on Thursday - yet the Brown's game saw him put in a terrible performance.

Something mental is going on here and I hope the team can get him with the right kind of resources to fix that
  17. demdcowboys#1

demdcowboys#1 New Member

1,453 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He'll be gone.
  18. MichaelWinicki

31,860 Messages
    2,584 Likes Received
    You're right.

The OT's were not the issue vs the Redskins.

All 3 inside guys were awful.
  19. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Ratliff isn't going anywhere.
    He wilk be a 7 million cap hit next year.
    If we release him he will be a 10.375 million cap hit.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    nope.

we only owe ratliff 6m in signing bonus after this year.

if we cut him the day after the season we pay 6m in cap hit in 2013.
    he has a 5m base salary that would come off the books so he'd be a nett add of 1m to release in 2013 if we wanted to move early. and there would be zero charge going forward.

BUT we could release him June 1st and SAVE 2m on the 2013 Cap for releasing him.

We'd owe 3m in dead money in 2014 but still save his 2014 base of 5.5m.