1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Costa and Lissemore

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by neosapien23, Nov 25, 2012.

1. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Does anyone out there have any information on the return of Phil Costa or Sean Lissemore? I know the season is over, but I would still like to see if Costa can man down the center spot and if Lissemore can get pressure starting with Hatcher and Ratliff. It would be really great if those players and Parnell could lock down spots. Dallas would still have to draft Oline hard, but if Costa was a solid center and Parnell was a solid RT it gives hope for next year. If Lissemore turns out to be a good player than the Dline would go from mediocre to good.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,108 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    You make some good points.

We need to see both players back and how they perform... If both can show something it makes the offseason a little less difficult.
  3. OklahomaCowboy88

OklahomaCowboy88 Benched

265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need a new center. Costa will always deal with injuries. And I wouldn't really call him a quality center anyways.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    You could tender Costa as a RFA and let him battle it out with Kowalski and Bernadeau.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,442 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Right now we need a RG but I suspect they will look for a tackle and both G/C in FA and the draft.

DL, OLB and DB particular S on D. You always look for CBs.
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Personally, I'd look for a guy who had the versatility to play both OC and OG in the Draft/FA. There is a shot that Bern could end up being a decent OC, for example.

Also, I'd look to draft a guy who could play either RT and OG.

If we get 2 versatile guys, most of our needs should be covered in case Costa, Bern, Free, and/or Parnell can't get it together.

If we can get 2 starters this off-season, at least we should have better depth as well assuming we keep Bern, Parnell, and Costa.
  7. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Cook has a really friendly contract for next season.

Despite his horrible play at center in the running game he does play with some "fight" in pass protection.

He should get a chance there.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'd like to see Costa again because he looked vastly improved in the time he played.

I'm not convinced he is injury prone. He was rushed back too early from his back injury and it recurred. That is not unusual at all and could be expected based on the timelines. He played great when he was back and then injured his ankle. If his back holds up over the rest of his games we can probably conclude that the injured part has healed successfullly and the ankle should heal well enough not to affect his play going forward.

As for Lissemore, he looks more like a rotational player than a starter to me. Right now we have only 3 reliable DL in Hatcher, Brent and Crawford. Coleman is done and Spears is nearly done with his knee problems. Bass is an unknown. So DL is a huge need this offseason as I expect Spears and Ratliff to be cut (and people really gave me heck over arguing Ratliff's extension was a dumb move because of his age and declining play with 2 years left on the deal).

I hope Cowboys don't go the stick their head in the sand route here and continue pretending Ratliff, Austin and Free can be ongoing contributors that are worth their salaries. It is better just to cut the rubbish and rebuild for the future.

Oh, and hire a GM to make rational contract decisions - that would include no monster deal for Anthony Spencer after a couple of good games.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,296 Likes Received
    Costa was up against an injured Ngata- and even then he did not play 'great'
  10. jobberone

35,442 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I agree Cook should get a chance to compete. He can play C, G and T and he does it.

I'd take these to camp:

Parnell, Free, and Smith (Cook) + FA +?Draft = T
    Costa, Ski, Bernie, (Cook) + FA/D = C
    Livings, Bernie, (Cook), + FA/D X 2 = G

I don't know where Leary and Arkin fit. I wouldn't bring Dockery back.
  11. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,418 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

If you do indeed watch the broadcast, then you'll hear Moose talking in the Carolina game about how many people around the league felt Costa played the best of any lineman on both teams.

An opinion that people had ridiculed on this board right after the game.

Regardless of opinion, I want to see Costa finish out the season to really get a feel for the state of this line.
  12. jobberone

35,442 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I'm not opposed to bringing Spears or Coleman to camp to compete although I don't know their contracts.

I agree Lissemore is more rotational but I like the platoon system. I expect Crawford, Hatcher and Rat to start next year. We should draft a couple of DL and look for a rotational pass rusher in FA.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,323 Messages
    2,880 Likes Received
    :signmast:

Someone forward to Jerry.
  14. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,553 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Didn't we have one of our best rushing days against them? Also I think PFF or some other stat site gave costa the game ball for that game becauseof his outstanding play. Of course those sites always need to be taken with a grain of salt.
  15. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    182 Likes Received

Keeping Ratliff and relegating him as a part time pass rusher would help the rotation of the line.

Brent is more capable than Ratliff as a run down player and plays more zero technique as well. Brent's flashed some potential at being a pressure player so that is also something he can build on next offseason.

Costa also played fairly well before getting hurt in the CAR game. They were getting good yardage running the ball and then went back to square one when he left the game.
  16. jobberone

35,442 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I don't know the contracts of Austin, Free, and Rat. I'm not sure you can part with Free until you know you have an adequate replacement. We don't have any wiggle room at T. Austin is not dependable but again you don't have his replacement on board. This isn't a run to daylight and look for the ball offense. It takes time to learn. I'm afraid he isn't going anywhere. Rat could be traded IMO. Or use him rotationally. He's still a force when he's in there.

I wouldn't count on any not going to camp to compete.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I hope we learn that Liss and Costa just aren't NFL quality players. They aren't. Neither is strong enough to be consistently succesful in this league and the whole team, especially the lines, need an infusion of new blood.
  18. MichaelWinicki

31,108 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Gotta say Future, that's about the most negative view I've read on this board concerning those two players together. Costa has been bashed plenty over the last year and half, but Lissmore has gotten props by many folks.

Costa has had issues getting out of his stance quickly enough to move laterally, but his strength hasn't been an issue. Couchscout has said that on numerous occasions... playing NT's heads-up, and Costa does very well.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I know I'm in the minority, especially on Lissemore, but I just don't like either one. Costa is always hurt, which to me is a part of not being strong. I didn't entirely mean strength at the point of attack. Lissemore I think IS weak at the point of attack. He makes a lot of tackles and has a high motor, which is admirable, but he makes a bunch of tackles after 4 yard runs and the like. Maybe he's a situational/rotational player, but the trenches need an overhaul, and those two guys are very expendable to me.
  20. MichaelWinicki

31,108 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Regardless, I think RT and RG will be first on the "hit list" with center farther down stream.

I agree that another DL is needed.