1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Costa to IR; OT Darrion Weems signed

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mortboy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,784 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    [youtubehd]smXSnRluRT0[/youtubehd]
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Now you switch to pumping Brenadeau.

How about drafting a bona fide centre as opposed to putting stop-gaps in there.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,774 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Nice. He takes his man all the way down to the sideline.

I don't know anything about Weems, but I like that signed someone for the OL.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,404 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I guess the plan was to see how Costa responded to treatment. He's been a fast healer in the past. I figured he would have been on IR (at least the one you can come back from) right after he was hurt.

Regardless, this is the time of the year when it is a good idea to steal a few PS guys. You effectively end up with more roster flexibility as it becomes reasonable to throw guys on IR with more minor injuries.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,404 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Bern has improved as the season has worn on so some of what we saw early may have been a result of his two off-season surgeries. Jury is still out on him but at worst we have at least found a decent backup
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    His ankle was DISLOCATED. No one really thought he could make it back. It was just another example of the poor management on this team that it took them THIS long to figure that out.
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    949 Likes Received
    This.

I mentioned this before but I always thought "Bern" and Livings were brought in to compete this year but that, long term, they were both not the answer as starters; they were stop-gap measures to make the team competitive.

I truly believe Dallas plans to draft a stud guard/center this spring.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,838 Messages
    5,557 Likes Received
    Yep. That's what stinks most.

At least, we'll have an OG spot open (Dockery) where we can get a decent interior OL who can both work in the OG rotation and, hopefully, play C well enough in both pass protection and the running game. Mack actually did a pretty good job in there for two games--considering he was unable to focus on that in camp, and I know the team thought his more natural position might be C at one point. Kowalski, too, can play all the interior OL positions. Neither are good enough that we can afford to forego the position in the offseason, though. I do like that we're getting players in who can play multiple positions, at least.
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    There is just no way the FO should pass on Barrett Jones. He is so versatile on the OL.
  10. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Apparently Costs is NOT on the IR...yet.

Just tweeted...

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr

The cowboys have not put center Phil costa on injured reserve. Not yet anyway.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,788 Likes Received
    Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr

The cowboys have not put center Phil costa on injured reserve. Not yet anyway.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Beat ya! :D
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,876 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Ok-let's have the Cowboys draft five olineman and replace the current starters like you think they should....happy now??

I was hoping to see Costa in a few more games which is what I repeatedley said in past threads.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,784 Messages
    4,336 Likes Received
    He didn't go to the combine and he didn't run at his Pro Day due to a Hamstring injury.

If you're going by nfldraftscout, then this is just an estimate:
    40 Low:5.20 40 Time:5.40 40 High:5.56
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,788 Likes Received
    Grr... :banghead:

:)
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Just looking at the highlights he is not much of a drive blocker but is a good positional blocker. I actually really like his ability to get at the second level and make blocks. He also was quite good on the move which is unusual for most tall OLs like OTs. He didn't have the greatest feet in pass protection and looked a bit susceptible to the bull rush. I think he could have a future at OG if he gets a bit stronger but I"m not sure he could cope at RT let alone LT.

I like the move - he looks world's better than Dockery who is currently backing up Parnell.

He definitely looks like a good fit for a zone blocking scheme even though his athleticism is a bit limited.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Todd Archer came out with it a about an hour ago as well. Bet these guys just look at what each other posts rather then actually check with the teams.
  18. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,664 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    He got pushed around a little by that big nose tackle from GA in the SEC championship game. However, I like him!
  19. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Where did I say we should replace all five starters????

Bernadeau has never been a centre until pressed into service because we had no other choice.

You keep thinking all it takes is time to turn these pigs’ ears into silk purses and each time your pet cat goes belly up you shift along to the next great hope.

Sometime you’ll realize other people’s castoffs and undrafted free agents just won’t get it done.
  20. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    You mean, like Kosier and Colombo?