1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Costa to IR; OT Darrion Weems signed

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mortboy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    they just as well cut him

IMO

and draft a real center

he will never be the same player with the back injury

wait an see he will go down next year
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,471 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Gee, the MRI on that injury didn't show any structural damage.

The dude simply hurt his back. He's not crippled. You do know he is on IR for his ankle, right?
  3. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Got to better than free:laugh2:
  4. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,264 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Tape doesn't indicate that. See above.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,510 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    He got beat up against TAMU far more than even UGA.
    Not sure he is a day 1 upgrade over Cook much less others.

I no longer think he is a round 1 lock. probably 25-40 range now.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    if we are going to spend a high pick on an O lineman it has to be someone that can DOMINATE a position. I do not any longer think that Jones can do that in the NFL
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    We don't know exactly what the MRI revealed, I think they worded it as significant damage which is different than no damage.

The issue with low back injuries is that the avascular disc often will not completely heal after an injury. The injury may be so small as to be indetectable on scanning. So what happens in some cases is the disc mostly heals normally but pain fibers invade it and become hypersensitive and irritable on him. Or the disc may heal suboptimally and become weakened but stable and more prone to re-injury.

At this point I wouldn't be confident in believing that Costa will not have major ongoing back problems that interfere with his ability to play football. The position he plays is very demanding on low backs so only time will give us an ultimate answer and we'll need to hedge our bets with a viable backup Center (or two) for next season.

I hope the kid is healthy and the back issue doesn't pop up again but that is only true in the minority of people.
  8. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    someone explain to me why we signed an OT? when we have Parnell who cant see the field, or should i say this team is to stubborn to bench Free.
  9. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    I agree:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  10. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received

Costa started three games but was forced out of the season opener after one series because of a back injury that plagued him in training camp

hmmmmm wonder what that means ?

sounds like a back problem
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,009 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I wouldnt call either dominant, serviceable yes.

Costa healthy is still our best option at center and when he played he played very well this season. I think anyone we add at that position will be for depth not intended to start there.
  12. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Yes they were decent players but we got lucky with Colombo who if it wasn’t for chronic injuries would never have been allowed to leave the Bears.

I don’t see you mention all the other scrubs we’ve had in over the years!

Judicious use of free agents is fine and dandy but basing the majority of your OL on them will usually lead to trouble, which is exactly what we’ve had in Dallas.
  13. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    well stupid is as stupid does so that would not surprise me at all; jerruh deluding himself again
  14. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    argle is one of those that kept claiming our O line had plenty of talent as it was. So no surprise that he thinks we do not need to do much at all.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,772 Messages
    2,491 Likes Received
    Every time we signed someone this year to the PS or the 53 man roster someone has asked why it wasn't OL. Now we sign someone on the OL and we wonder why. I swear fans are neurotic.
  16. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,705 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    rightttt
  17. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    Frankly I would have rather had a guard we KNOW is good like Holland.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,792 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    I'm thrilled that they're doing anything with the offensive line.

I complained when they didn't, only right that I commend them when they did.

But I would still be inquiring about Jeff Otah's progress...
  19. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,439 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Maybe Killer gets in at center and Cook moves out to RT when Free starts stinking it up again? Cook played some RT didn't he? It's an option, but probably won't be explored unless Free went down with injury.
  20. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    So the trouble is the Free agents?? Free, Arkin, Smith, Rogers, Peterman, Marten, Brewster, Sam Young, Nagy all drafted by the Cowboys over the last seven years. Smith has been ok and Free is the worst player of all the starters. The rest are either non-starters, playing for another team or out of the league.