1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Costa to IR; OT Darrion Weems signed

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mortboy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Am I the only guy who wants to see Arkin there?
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I’d love to see Arkin out there, but the prognosis doesn’t look good does it?

I mean he took quite a number of snaps at C during training camp yet we still put Bernadeau at C when Cook and Costa couldn’t go.

It seems that they’ll try anybody but Arkin on the field so who knows. :confused:
  3. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

935 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Weems is a guy you will have to develop for a few years. He has to get stronger everywhere.Has the intangibles, but is not going to be ready for awhile.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,196 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    Arkin came from a college team that did not have ANY W/T program at all. Barely had a gym and machines. So it was known he would have to be pretty much redone from a WT point of view. Which was why last year no one thought he would do anything. After a full year they did see progress but not enough to put him in regular season games this year.

I really wished they would have used the same standards for Costa LAST YEAR. Whoever thought he could start should have been run right out of Valley Ranch.
  5. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Just pointing out he wouldn't have been that great a help this year.

Btw-how quickly you make a 90's Cowboys reference to defend your point but disregard that very team's oline which goes completely against your "draft a bunch of olineman early" premise. You do realize Mark Tuinei was undrafted, Newton was cut originally in the NFL, went to the USFL before signing as an FA, Step was a second rounder, Gogan was a FA and Erick Williams was a third rd pick. Maybe the most dominant oline in the history of football over a five year period was made up of three free agents and a couple of reasonably high picks. There is more than one way to build an oline is all I am saying.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,520 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    That's hyperbole. They may not have a D1 level weight room, but it's a weight room.

[IMG]

If he was self motivated, he could have done himself a lot of good, I just don't think he was. He faced poor competition both on the field and in practice and probably was one of the stronger guys on the team, so why push it?

Clay Harbor came out of the same program and he was well ahead of Arkin physically.
  7. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Does everything have to be spelled out for you???

The reference to Ken Norton Jr. was to point out that some players that start out slowly turn out to be very good in the end.

I could just have easily pointed out Randy White but obviously you’re scratching around for any thin argument to justify your position against drafting OL in the first round.

So exactly what does the Cowboys line of the early 90’s have to do with how good DeCastro could be with today’s team?