1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Brockers play NT in 3-4 well?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

511 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    I wasn't real high on Brockers at #14.

I don't think Brockers is dynamic enough
    as a DE but as a NT, he could be what we've been
    looking for. A 2 gap run stuffing, pocket pushing presence
    with a wing-span to knock down passes.

He's young and can put on more weight. Now
    he's 322, and he could easily get up to 335.

Do you think he could play it?

I'd much rather have him than
    Poe. I think Poe must be just smoke.
  2. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,312 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I am not that high on Brockers but would take him over Poe.

It seems most people(scout,media) like Brockers and his potential. I just don't see it as much.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,729 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    No. Too tall, no natural leverage. There are no 6'6" NT's for a reason.
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I don't see a reason to move Brockers to NT, he's a 5Tech all the way and last I checked we have a need there.
  5. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    gawd get Josh Chapman
  6. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,899 Messages
    3,045 Likes Received
    Not a candidate for NT. As someone pointed out he's too tall. He's also not got that body type.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Richard Seymour's 6ft 6in frame dispelled any rumor long ago that a tall 3/4 NT couldn't make it in the NFL.
  8. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Michael Brockers fits the prototype at the 5 technique. He did line up at NT (in a 3 man line) some at LSU. Brockers can line up inside (at DT) and push the pocket with Jay Ratliff (in nickel).

Brockers is already a strong run defender, and I seem to recall LeSean McCoy, Brandon Jacobs, and Marshawn Lynch torching the Cowboys last year. Two of those games came inside the division. Again, Brockers is a day one starter at the 5 technique. He would give Dallas' underwhelming defensive linemen a real shot in the arm.

If Brockers develops as a pass rusher, you should have a Richard Seymour type player anchoring your defensive line for many years to come.

Honestly, the legend of Fletcher Cox has risen to epic proportions, not just here. Cox is a good player, but I think he is best suited to play the 3 technique in a 43, especially as a rookie. I don't think Cox is a lock to start day one at the 5 technique at all. Dallas needs a front line guy, and Brockers (the prototype) has a high ceiling.

Cox and Poe are raw pass rushers, too. Brockers is ready to play the run strong (at the 5 technique), right now. Brockers should be able to push the pocket, right now. That includes the nickel.

If I'm choosing between Brockers, Poe, and Cox, I'm taking Brockers every single time. I think Dallas would, too. I think the Patriots would, too. If Brockers clears Carolina and Kansas City, I think Dallas feeds the d-line with Brockers. If Brockers is gone, I think Dallas looks to trade down for Kirkpatrick/Gilmore/Barron or Konz. I think Upshaw is a wild-card, but he looks like a 43 DE to me. Time will tell. Melvin Ingram is lurking, but I don't know how the team views him. Ingram hasn't been invited to Dallas. Is that a smokescreen? I don't know. I think the two SEC pass rushers are wild-cards, but I think Brockers trumps them both at 14.

LSU has produced some talented, quality defensive linemen even if a few appear to have been over-drafted. Brockers is a more physically imposing, more talented player than Spears or Tyson Jackson, imso. Plus, Brockers' upside is significant. Dorsey is a true 43 player who was very good at LSU.

How many good defensive linemen have Mississippi State and Memphis sent into the NFL lately?

Georgia hasn't had another Richard Seymour, and Brockers could be that type of player, only from LSU.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    neither cox nor brockers are worth a first round pick
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,312 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    How did you come to this conclusion?
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah, kinda like the DeCastro love, but really I think Cox is more of a WDE than a SDE in the 3-4. He tends to penetrate more and doesn't hold up as well against doubles.

If we do draft him, I would rather it be in Hatch's spot, which isn't as much of a need.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    This is true, Kenyon freakin Coleman started for us at SDE last year. Brockers would be a massive upgrade.
  13. ckalch

ckalch Member

94 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    How can ANYONE be sure about Brockers? I am a huge LSU fan and watched Brockers in person. LSU's D-Line was absolutely stacked across the board; we were able to bring guys on and off the field enough to keep everyone fresh. There is one truly elite starting D-Lineman for LSU and he didn't declare for the draft (Sam Montgomery).
  14. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :huh:
  15. tunahelper

tunahelper Active Member

3,902 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Brockers = spears
  16. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,153 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    LSU Hype Machine = Overrated Players

Very few LSU players have lived up to the hype.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,899 Messages
    3,045 Likes Received
    Seymour is one guy and not a full time NT.
  18. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    This is very true. Cox is a WDE today if he does not grow bigger. When playing a team like the Giants, Packers, Saints etc. I would play Cox and Hatcher together. I would not if I were playing the Eagles, Seattle or a good primary run team.

I think Brockers is a player with a dominant trait at an early age. I'm not sure if he ever develops a second skill with the pass rush. If he does he'll be one of the best 5 players in this draft because he absorbs double teams about as good as an 20 year old guy can, especially given his growth from linebacker to DT. I doubt he develops pass rush skills, so I'd rather have Cox. But I'm not going to throw beer at the tv if Brockers is the pick.
  19. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received

That is exactly what the Cowboys 3/4 needs for the next Decade.

Even worse than a Saftey.
  20. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    exactly