1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Free move to guard if starting OT is drafted?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Corleone, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    The part about Free moving to guard if they were to draft a tackle in the first round is interesting, I haven't heard much about it. I've only read that the tackle would simply be a backup until Free is gone. Would Free be better than Bernie or Leary? Would this move make the line better with Free at G and another young stud(if one were to fall) at tackle rather than the current setup?
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    They worked Free at OG last year but had to keep him at RT when Parnell got hurt.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Hasn't this been discussed plenty? Free would spend the majority of the time flat on his back. Simply not strong enough to play guard
    Cowboy06 and Future like this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,273 Messages
    5,521 Likes Received
    Depends on who you are talking about as the OT in the first round.

If it is Lewan, sure. If it is Martin, I would rather kick him inside to LG than move Free, then flop him over when Free is gone.

Ron Leary did an okay job last year, but he is just as replaceable as Bernadeau.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,163 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    I think he could be serviceable at guard.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,002 Messages
    1,538 Likes Received
    I think the idea of picking an OT with #16 just gives the team additional options...either they get a RT and move Free over, or they say that they are going to pick the fictitious available Tackle in hopes of a trade down scenario....I could see the trade down scenario just as much for QB or WR if they obvious players are available
  7. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,689 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Smoke screen
    Vanilla2 and Idgit like this.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Free played pretty darn good last year and was a team player. He really turned it around, in fact he didn't even look like the same player from the previous season. This dude gets no love.

I understand BPA, but at least get one where there is a void. I heard somebody mention corner earlier, are you kidding me??? This scouting department is horrible at finding corners with the exception of Oscan.
    OhSnap likes this.
  9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,856 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Most thought that last year until he played decent at guard in the little we saw him there during the preseason. Guards have to move and pull a little to be successful. What Free doesn't do well in one aspect can be made up for in another aspect. OL need a good mix of strength and quickness. One who lacks strength can make up for it with good angles, speed, and leverage.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,163 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Taking an OT in the 1st round, while never the sexy pick, is just about the safest thing a team can do.
    OhSnap, Gaede, chagus and 1 other person like this.
  12. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Does anybody discount Jerry?
  13. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,625 Messages
    1,040 Likes Received
    Sounds like a plan. Free could go through training camp at guard and get used to playing the position. Although we have a pressing need at DL, I'm not going to complain if Jerry picks OL. If we can dominate in the trenches, it will help us get to where we need to be - in the playoffs.
  14. DallasInDC

DallasInDC Well-Known Member

2,048 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    I have no problem with that approach. When your franchise qb is coming off his second back surgery, any additional protection you can provide along with opening up more running lanes would only be a good thing
    theSHOW likes this.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,624 Messages
    2,177 Likes Received
    I like it, especially over a LB.
    Vanilla2 and Nation like this.
  16. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Active Member

297 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Jerry could ensure the constant national media attention he craves by signing Icognito and then drafting Lewan and Michael Sam. ;)
  17. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,508 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    LB is likely not the BPA @ 16.

If the massive LT Lewan falls to 16 he will be the highest rated or best player available to Draft, even if WR Mike Evans or TE Eric Ebron are still on the board.

However, OT/G Zack Martin may be the safest pick in the NFL Draft.
    chagus likes this.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    See I don't think so about Martin. I don't think he's an OT at the next level. And certainly not an upper echelon one. And I think there are guards available after Martin who are just as good.
    sbark, jobberone, Verdict and 2 others like this.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I dunno.

I'm not seeing a DT or DE available at 16 who's going to be worth taking if Donald is gone.

I think an OL could be the choice... If they don't trade down.
    jobberone and Verdict like this.
  20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Yeah, just ask Chicago with Carimi...
    casmith07 and Nation like this.