1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could Free move to guard if starting OT is drafted?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Corleone, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

450 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I'm inclined to agree with you. This team has been drafted well with the higher draft picks on the line (Smith and Frederick). I am 100% on board with another 1st round linemen or very high 2nd round pick.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    I want DL in the first but things might break badly and we end up with no ability to trade down. and nothing on the D line worth the #16
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    They could trade back to the end of the 1st and take Morgan Moses from Virginia. If a QB is there at #16, maybe that rumor of Cleveland giving up the 26th and 30 something pick is legit.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    I strongly doubt we would pay him like a starter to be the swing tackle.
    Hoofbite likes this.
  5. Alexander

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    If someone is trading up for a QB, I would hope we get what have in the past for similar trade ups and that is a first round pick in 2015 at minimum. If we trade a trade in line with the chart we used for the Reid trade last year, I'd rather just take the QB for ourselves.
    Hoofbite likes this.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,999 Messages
    4,529 Likes Received
    Or S or WR
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    That is the new chart. Jimmy's chart for 20 years ago is outdated.
  8. Alexander

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    Tell that to teams that still use it and do not get undercut in trades. New England still uses the same chart Johnson developed years ago.
    Hoofbite likes this.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    Good for them, I guess if true.
  10. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Only Dallas would be crazy to draft an OT in the first and then move Free over to guard. Then come to find out that Free can't play guard and Berny would actually outplay him. Thus causing more chaos to an oline that was coming to its own. Frankly, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Online was a bright spot last year and to mess it up by moving Free to guard would be silly.

What would be worst is that we can't get a replacement for Ware and our defense ends up being worst than last years. The players that we could have drafted instead of a tackle end up having a great year.

But who knows. Dallas has drafted pretty badly throughout the years. I wouldn't discount them drafting an OT and moving Free to guard. Just another Jerry move which ends up setting back the team for another 2-3 years.
  11. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,358 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    Anybody who is drafted for the OL would be depth unless he wins the job at camp - not likely.
  12. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,653 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    He has the footwork to play guard in our zone blocking scheme. It's more important to move laterally in our scheme than brute strength. I think he might actually be a better fit there. Robert Gallery was somewhat able to salvage his career after being a bust at tackle then moving to guard in a zone blocking scheme.
  13. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,793 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Why draft someone in first round too be a back up? We need help on the DL, I rather trade back get an extra pick and go DL or BPA of course that's my opinion. If we draft a tackle depends who it is they might b the better option inside.
  14. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    Because of the higher ups at Dallas think that switching people around in a position they can't play would solve problems. Unfortunately someone up there in the FO doesn't have a clue and that they think if they can easily switch people around that easily.

Free can't play guard. I think he played well last year as a tackle. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But that rule doesn't apply to the Cowboys. They're a team that doesn't fix whats broken and loves to ticker with things which starts to work and mess things up. Dysfunctional at its finest!
    Cowboy06 likes this.
  15. Rhubarb

Rhubarb Member

199 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    If we get a new tackle we should just move Free to Left Out
    JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,597 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    I am sure that specifics as to how we rank players from anonymous sources are to be trusted.

I am more curious as to what OL we bring in for interviews. We have recently drafted Frederick and valued him highly. I see Martin in much of the same mold from how his technique is polished and in how he finishes blocks. He has a good shuttle score which the Cowboys are known to value in their OL as well.
    Corso likes this.
  17. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

It would be a luxury worth the cap space to have a swing tackle like Doug Free whom we all could start at RT effectively. Despite what many posters have said he has some value as a Guard as well.

Still rather take OL late in a very rich OL Draft.
    Corso likes this.
  18. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,589 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Part of why he seemed like a "better player" was the fact that people weren't fixated on his contract. He was probably going to be a better player in a lot of peoples eyes no matter what just because he accepted a pay-cut. I thought his play was improved, but not by these leaps and bounds it has turned in to.

The same thing would have happened to Ware had he stayed and took a pay-cut. He would have had equal production and it would have turned into "Ware is back!!"
  19. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,589 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    If that's the case, then we should not draft any position in the first round other than D-line or Safety, no other pick would start on this team.
  20. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I don't believe anyone knows if the Patriots still use the Johnson value chart. I've read some speculation among Patriots watchers that they've gotten much more sophisticated in their draft values. Having read a little about Ernie Adams, the Patriots mystery man "football researcher", I'd be really surprised if they still stick to the Johnson chart.

The Johnson chart just quantified an average of how teams had been valuing draft picks for the years previous to Jimmy's chart. It did nothing more than reflect and put numbers to the popular thinking of the day. It got widely accepted so was taken as the gospel, and so for many years most teams tried to match those values in their trades. There has been a lot of speculation that teams have developed their own proprietary value charts over the past several years, using some pretty fancy mathematics and analysis. But the media and fans still grade all trades by the Johnson chart.
    dogberry likes this.