1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Could You Be Talked Into Vontaze Burfict and Melvin Ingram?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Oct 10, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,990 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Lets say it shakes out that they can pickup a good guard in free agency and Sensy/Elam dont screw up enough that they are worth another go.

With holes still at G/C and CB would you be willing to invest two more high picks into the front 7?

Vontaze Burfict is the meanest player I have seen in years. I would play him all around since hes shown he can rush the passer, drop in coverage, and stop the run. Spencer can still be re-signed if the price is right.

Melvin Ingram is leading the SEC in sacks and has made countless huge plays and scoring a few times. Hes a former LB and still has the athleticism to drop back. Hes only about 6'2" 280.
  2. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

325 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I really like Burfict, a nasty player and a area of need; however, do we already have James' replacement on the team? Did the Cowboys draft Bruce Carter to take over for James or Spencer? Hopefully Carter shows the coaching staff something in these last 12 games. I think Jerry will extend Spencer's contract after the season.
    My two areas of concern are the interior offensive linemen and Newman's replacement. I think next season OG David Arkin will challenge for a starting position. I would not be upset to see Jerry draft a centre in the first round. The centre (Konz) for Wisconsin looks good. With the weapons we have on Offence; if Romo is able to have a solid running attack and time to pass, Scary!

Newman is not getting any younger and has been injured the last few years. I like Claiborne, Kirkpatrcik and Denard. Now Jerry's wallet can address my concerns and we may be talking about some other positions in April.
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,292 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    We already have two high picks invested at ILB.

We aren't going to use another.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,754 Messages
    10,051 Likes Received
    I don't have to be talked into taking the BPA.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Burfict is a beast, but we aready have Sean Lee and Bruce Carter.

Depends on if someone wanted to move Burfict to OLB, but I don't see it.
  6. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,292 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Konz = Mangold

DeCastro = Faneca

Minnifield = Revis

Burfict = Ray Ray

Which one of those is closest to being accurate. Rank them 1-4.
  7. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,787 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Konz = Mangold 1

DeCastro = Faneca 3

Minnifield = Revis 708

Burfict = Ray Ray 2
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,550 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    It would be hard to spend another pick at ILB. I don't think Carter or Lee can play outside in this defense.

I could see us spending a pick on a monster type 3-4 NT but I don't think there is one in this draft. I'd been hoping that guy in Washington would step up this year but it sounds like he hasn't thus far.

I think the top picks should be spent at interior OL, CB, Safety or future QB. i don't want us to use these picks at ILB, TE, WR or DE. I would always make exceptions for All-Pro quality players depending on the context and choices available to us.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Burfict is the BPA then I want to take him. This team needs depth at ILB moving forward. Brooking is done, James is declining and who else do we have behind them? Orie Lemon?

I would be fine with having a guy like Carter play a role like Kevin Burnett did for us. The truth is nickel linebackers are on the field constantly.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,949 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    I'm on board with having Burfict if he's the BPA when we draft. I don't have to be talked into that at all.
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

11,990 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Even if Spencer is back theres plenty of room for for all these guys.

Imagine the chaos with Ware, Lee, Carter, 'Taze, Spencer, Ingram, and Ratliff on a 3rd down in the amoeba defense.

Not hearing anyones thoughts on that part. Melvin Ingram.
  14. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,216 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Agree. I think nickel is what Carter is best suited for, and I wouldn't let the clock get to .02 before I was handing the commissioner the card with Burfict written across it.
  15. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,883 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    I haven't seen Burflict play yet. I'll be watching Saturday.

Everything I read about him tells me we can't pass on him, but that he won't be there anyway.
  16. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,510 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Melvin Ingram is a beast, if Spencer walks after this year I'd be all for Ingram in the 1st.

Burfict on the other hand is overrated and a head case, I'll stick with Bruce Carter no question.
  17. MarionBarberThe4th

11,990 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Yea, pretty good showcase for him. Good competition, speedy offense, and also the game is good its not like doing homework to watch.

See what I like about both is that they can lineup everywhere. The Cowboys would really have one of the more versatile defenses and easily the scariest in the league. I dont think Vontaze would get in Bruce Carters way.
  18. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    I think there are 2 ILBs that if they are there you have to consider.
    Burfict and Kuechly are way to good.
  19. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,833 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    I'm afraid Burfict would get the Dez treatment by the media if he came to Dallas.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not that enamored with Melvin Ingram. If he comes out for the draft and his size is the same (6'2" 280 lbs), he'll be truely a tweener. He's pretty quick for a lineman, but if you're trying to project him as is to OLB, I don't see the type of dynamic speed/quickness/athleticism needed for the move.

I think his best move would be to drop down into the high 250s/low 260s range ala Lamar Woodley. I think he projects a lot better as an OLB at that size than trying to max out his frame and playing as a DE at the next level.