1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Court rejects death penalty for raping children *merged*

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    U.S. Supreme Court Strikes Down Louisiana Law Allowing Execution for Child Rape

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court has struck down a Louisiana law that allows the execution of people convicted of a raping a child.

In a 5-4 vote, the court says the law allowing the death penalty to be imposed in cases of child rape violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  2. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Nah let's put em in a cage, probe them and study them we say...;)
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    grrrrrrrrr
  4. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court has struck down a Louisiana law that allows the execution of people convicted of a raping a child.

In a 5-4 vote, the court says the law allowing the death penalty to be imposed in cases of child rape violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

"The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion. His four liberal colleagues joined him, while the four more conservative justices dissented.

There has not been an execution in the United States for a crime that did not also involve the death of the victim in 44 years.
  5. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Didn't see this was already posted.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,744 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    I think most know how I feel about child rapists and in most part the death penalty. So I am not happy about that decision, although I don't know all the circumstances behind it...seems like a crappy decision.

However, sadly it would not make me vote for Bush or half of the other republicans in office right now, then again it would not get me to vote for hillary, obama or half the dems in office either.

But I love me some fear tactics, I do I do, love em love em.
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    If you make the penalty for rape no different than the penalty for killing someone, you are increasing the chances that the child will be killed as well.

Do you really want to do that?

And, if you throw these guys into the jail population, there will be some hard justice done.

Now if you were to come up on trial for taking someone out who had brutally raped your kid, and you had actually gotten the right perp (one of the big problems with vigilante justice considering the number of folks getting cleared on DNA evidence lately), I would be fine with jury no billing you, or playing the extenuating circumstances card.
  8. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,802 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Child Molesters shouldn't get the Death Penalty....

They should be castrated without anesthesia, left in prison to rot and receive daily crow bar rectum rips...
  9. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It appears Justice Kennedy is doing his best to get John McCain elected.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    no one issue would ever push me to either side. it's just not that simple. if one issue is that important to an individual, fine. but as a country where would it fall?

on the flip side, if they executed for rape, then the people they rape would just be killed anyway likely (maybe) because there's no difference in the penalty.

would you let your rape victim go tell on you so you can get killed, or do you just committ another crime, killing your victim because the pentalty is the same and you stand a better chance getting awa with it cause there are no witnesses?
  11. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    i'm a little late. : )
  12. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well after this and the Exxon Valdez decision...I can see that the Supreme Court is real popular around here today.
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I know it's not popular but you do have a good point.
  14. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    i was on the "kill him now" camp last time this came up and i guess it was argle who made this argument and i had to stop and think about it. it's a very valid point that while doesn't fix the immediate emotional rage, is the better of the two crappy choices.
  15. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Well with that logic lets stop giving the death penalty for murderers. That should stop all the murders. There was a day in this country when if you stole someone's horse you were hung. Nowadays if you steal someone's car you might spend a few months in jail. No one takes responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone else's fault they do what they do.
  16. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    well with that lack of logic, not sure what to say.

if hitting someone upside the head with a 2x4 got you put to death, and killing got you put to death also, wouldn't you just keep hitting cause the penalty wil be the same?

you don't seem to grasp that if the rapist is going to be killed anyway, he's more likely to murder his victim to reduce his own chances of getting caught. but if he spends time in jail if caught, he's less likely (i would think) to kill the rape victim.
  17. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Like I said it's probably not popular but it IS a very valid point.

If there is no difference in sentence...why would you let the child live...especially if they could finger you.

And it will happen...a person who wouldn't have killed for whatever reason will now.

It's obviously an awful situation but the child living...is better than him/her being dead.
  18. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I can see your point. I really can. I just think these people who hurt children get off way to easy. Now if they would make the sentance mandatory life in prison and mean it. I would be fine with that. But why would you let a child molester back out on the street to do it again?
  19. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    it's not an easy sitaution, heavyg. i'm like you in that i never want to give that person another chance to ruin a childs life. NO SECOND CHANCE.

but if we make the 1st chance also a death penalty for the kid, are we really punishing ONLY the rapist, or the child too with laws that encourage their murder?

put 'em in general population in the worst prisons out there. they'll be a boy-toy in no time flat and in some ways that's worse than death.
  20. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    If thats what would happen I would be all for it. I used to hate working in R&R. You have to look at the files as inmates come in. When you get a child molester in you have to flag em and put them in PC