1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Courtney Upshaw is who we need

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 2, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    sign me up for the BAD A draft plan...Best Alabama Defender Available

tops on my list is probably Courtney Upshaw..not many people on here like him...but he is EXACTLY what this team is missing..he is a bad *** dude! this team needs some mean, physically imposing players..we dont have any..Upshaw is precisely what I have been looking for, for this defense for the last few years...he isnt the most athletic player out there, but the kid is ferocious and has a non stop motor!

lol @ the anthony spencer comparisons..not even close
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,398 Messages
    8,300 Likes Received
    It's amazing how all over the map we are with the draft this year. There still is yet to be a common theme and we've already reached April.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    unbelievable..i absolutely hate it...but its a good thing...its good because its absolutely ******** if we know who the team will take..which is usually the case..not this year..if we know, then the whole world knows
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,398 Messages
    8,300 Likes Received
    Yeah, I really like not knowing. Makes the actual draft much more interesting. It's why I usually like the mid to late rounds even more because it's more of a guessing game.

I just got done reading a thread that called Upshaw a product of the Alabama defense and maybe the 8th best OLB prospect in this draft. Then I click on your thread for an exact opposite view. This basically happens daily.

One thing's for sure, there are going to be a lot of happy and angry people around here the night of April 26th.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    upshaws motor is non stop..kid is a product of his motor and brute strength..but i can see why the haters hate..he isnt flashy..he just produces..
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,383 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    At 280 pounds and stiff in coverage he figures as 4-3 LDE IMO. Unless the team plans to go back to a base 4-3 I dont see him being the pick.
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,715 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Pretty much how I see it.
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    That happens every year...
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because this draft class is weak, almost void of any real first round talnet.
  10. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
  11. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,770 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No Thanks to Upshaw.
  12. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,016 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Funny I see the same thing in Dont'a Hightower only more athletic and quicker. Lots of different opinions this year.

We were all spoiled those years of Darren McFadden, and Patrick Peterson. We all wanted to trade our first three picks for those sure things, no real sure things after the first four selections this year for us to covet.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Why draft Courney Upshaw to play OLB when we already have Marcus Spears to play OLB. :muttley:
  14. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,461 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    There are a lot to like about this years prospects if you select them properly.

DL and LB is good at the top of the Draft but tails off quickly. While OL can be had on day 3.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,444 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    Upshaw could end up 295 and a perfect 3-4 DE. He certainly has the motor and plays with legit hunger to inflict damage.

You could also use him easily as a 4-3 SDE.

I do believe he is a fit here for us.

But athletically he is probably a 25th area player. Do we rate his intangibles high enough to grab him at 14? I'd guess not quite but could target him after a trade down provided Cox or other targets have been selected before 14.

I'd rate Upshaw 3rd at 3-4 DE. Behind Cox and Brockers. Less upside than either but a fairly safe pick.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, but will *only* brute force and motor work at the NFL level? He isn't Suh.

I think the kid will play at the NFL level, I just don't think he will be an OLB.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,108 Messages
    2,743 Likes Received
    Yep... "BAD" is what I thought when I read the OP.
  18. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received

I agree that is where he fits but I think he is a higher risk than Cox because he has never done what you are going to be asking him to do. I have no idea if he can play inside the tackle and get penetration. I think he can but that is riskier than most.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He is also 6-2 and that is far shorter than most of the successful 5 techniques.
  20. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    No way he's playing 5tech