1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cover 32: Should The Cowboys Draft a WR High?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,902 Messages
    1,050 Likes Received
    Exactly right.
    If that is the best situation to go with- go with it.
    Don't go reaching if that's your only other option.

There is such a thing as a second round and a third and trading picks as the draft goes and so on...

No? Doesn't happen? Watch. Yo minds about to get blown!
    Would it get done correctly? Well now... Jerry's running this outfit so you never can tell with him, but...

It's been done before- even by Hoss Jones himself.
    Zimmy Lives and Vanilla2 like this.
  2. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Better than drafting a high WR.

[IMG]
  3. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

501 Messages
    397 Likes Received
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,322 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    When he gets healthy and put into a situation where he can use his talent, I'll get back with you. Until then no one knows.
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,427 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    I'm hoping he slides to the Cowboys. Highly, highly, highly unlikely. But, hey Dez slid. I ran many mock simulations at first-pick.com and have yet to see Sammy Watkins get past Detroit. Usually he is taken with the 3rd - 8th pick. I'm glad he isn't going to the NYG, Wash, or Philly.
  6. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    [IMG] A #1 wide reciever? ? [IMG]..Sure
    Richmond Cowboy likes this.
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,388 Messages
    1,378 Likes Received
    If Sammy Watkins is still there, grab him and don't look back! He won't be unless he doesn't perform well at the combine or gets a low score on his test.

I don't see another WR coming out like Dez the man-child did and fell to us.

If it comes to our pick with good to mediocre DL talent and a top-notch WR, go with the WR IMO. I like Kelvin Benjamin(FSU) too but I am not sure it is worth it to draft him and pass on a defensive player, but Watkins would be worth it.
    Corso likes this.
  8. radioactivecowboy88

radioactivecowboy88 Active Member

294 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    IN A F******* HEART BEAT!!!! if it was dez bryants twin brother Dwyane bryant lol

No...
  9. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

761 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Noooooooooooooooo...
  10. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

244 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    if its BPA
  11. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,277 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    (sigh)...no thank you on WR....BPA should be used but only in the sense that it should be BPA that is a DL or OL (or possibly LB, although none will be there worth taking with the 1st pick)
  12. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,921 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Jerry is that you?
  13. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,921 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    This team isn't good enough to take BPA. Too many needs on the defensive side of the ball.
  14. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,705 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    If it came down to choosing between a mediocre d-lineman or an elite WR, the choice is to take the elite guy. Drafting primarily for position is a losing proposition. Average can be had in later rounds. Not so with the elite players who might easily impact many seasons thereafter.
    Corso and Eanwen like this.
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    If said WR is the 2nd coming of Calvin Johnson, then absolutely you draft him. Anyone else would be a wasted pick considering the Cowboys other needs.
  16. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    WR is one of our biggest strengths, we need to let Harris and Williams get their turn. Let's focus on the defense side of the ball. Lord knows we need it.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,209 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    They rank players by tiers. There is a very low probability that a WR is available that they have ranking a full tier above all other available players.

The primary purpose of trades is to match BPA with need. If the Cowboys have that WR ranked that high, there is a high probability that a team that needs a WR also has him ranked high. If the Cowboys are only team that has him ranking that high, then as a fan, you probably don't want them to draft him.

It's something to blog about, but it's about a 1% chance that they end up in the situation to make that decision.
    theSHOW likes this.
  18. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

616 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I don't believe in pure BPA. Suppose the BPA is a WR in the 1st round, and you already have a solid, young No. 1 WR on the roster. Then, in the second round, BPA is again a WR. Do you take him? What if it were 2 QBs in a row, to add to your established young star starter? TEs? Maybe in the pre-salary cap days, when trading actual players was easier.

In today's economic structure, I think you have to go modified BPA: prioritize positions, and go BPA only in those positions. Don't lock yourself into one position (e.g., DT) or even one category (e.g., D-line). But focus on BPA where the needs are greatest.
  19. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,801 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I can see the quote now.

Jerry, "We wanted to make a splash."
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,185 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:you do this pretty much every year
    i remember last year you were hot on us drafting the next 'game changer', tavon austin, how would that have worked out for us in place of frederick and williams?

football 101
    build the trenches
    we have enough flash and sizzle
    Richmond Cowboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.