1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys’ Smith missing $1 million, lawyer says; mom denies anything taken without OK

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Nov 1, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    IRVING — A lawyer representing Cowboys offensive tackle Tyron Smith says that the budding NFL star’s family has not only continually demanded money from his client but also has taken a substantial amount from the 21-year-old.

Dallas-based attorney John Schorsch said he will have a forensic accountant review Smith’s finances in an effort to find where more than $1 million has gone and likely will pursue legal action.

When reached by phone late Thursday, Frankie Pinkney, Smith’s mother, strongly denied that the family took any of Smith’s money without his authorization or harassed or threatened him in any way.

“I don’t know anything about any missing money,” Pinkney said. “The money that we did receive from Tyron was all accounted for and everything is in writing, and he’s authorized all of it.”

On Tuesday afternoon, Dallas police responded to a 911 call to Smith’s North Dallas home, where siblings showed up to “harass and torment” him “in the pursuit of collecting financial gain,” according to the police report.

Smith has three stepsisters and two stepbrothers. Two of the stepsisters, Tiari Dennis and Brittany Pinkney, were among at least three people who showed up at Smith’s home Saturday and Tuesday, Frankie Pinkney confirmed. The police report did not name the individuals.

It is the latest in a string of events over several months in which family members have tried to harass Smith for their financial benefit, according to Schorsch and Cowboys sources.

Frankie Pinkney denied any family demands for any money.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ort&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    But momma luvs her little meal ticket.
  3. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,676 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Family can be so sickening.

They don't care about you, only your wallets.

You never let family have control over your money. Ever!
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    i gave my family everything.

they did the same in return.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Seriously though.. this is a really sad story. I can only imagine how heavy that is weighing on his heart.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I feel the same way. I only wish that I could give them more. They are my biggest treasure in life.
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,966 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Difference in freely sharing with your family --then it being demanded from you because you have more then them.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    I can think of a bunch of DBs in the NFL that deserve this.

Tyron certainly does not. From all accounts he is a truly great guy.

Which of course is why the family got away with it.
  9. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    some family member begin to expect more and more also.....it becomes a issue when you finally cut it off.....

its just a microcosm with Smith.
  10. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,942 Messages
    246 Likes Received
  11. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I'd like to hear more details before making an assessment. My recollection when we drafted him is that his upbringing was seen as a boon. His parents, as I recall, were credited with instilling a strong work ethic, among other values, in Tyron from a young age. Could be that his family is comprised of parasites but it's hard to square that with the early impressions we were given. It may also be that his lawyer and other advisers are the real problem here and that they're encouraging the kid to be unduly vigilant in protecting himself against his family.

Btw, iceberg, your contribution to this thread is signature worthy. Would probably even make a pretty good epitaph.
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I know what you're saying...

I think when you're talking about big-time money like you are here... Well... All I can think of is the old saying:

"Money does not define character, it reveals it."
  13. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Well you started out with nothing,
    And you're proud that you're a self made man,
    And your friends, they all come crawlin,
    Slap you on the back and say,
    Please.... Please.....
  14. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,294 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    He gets graded on an additional curve, youth and low down family. He needs help and he needs it fast. The guy is 21 years old. Do you remember when you were 21? Now and $100 million to that.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    really doubt that lawyers are responsibile for them showing up and demanding money.

Really doubt that if what you claim is true that Tyron would have had to call the police.
  16. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a momma, she has every right to be her son's meal ticket.

Momma loves all her kids probably and she's caught in the middle... Momma probably ain't worried about herself, she's worried about her other kids.
  17. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received

You should read the original story...... this whole mess was started by his momma and her new hubby.
  18. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You may be correct about his step-brothers and step-sisters and father-in-law.

But in respect to his mother alone, she has every right to be his meal ticket.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,392 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    I understand, but I'm fairly skeptical of the family. And in this economy we've seen some things with people and money that I thought would never happen. Many people going broke that you never expected and then the things they do because they are going broke are even crazier.

Take somebody who owns a dry cleaning business...while it may not be a multi-million dollar enterprise, there is a lot of money tied into owning a business like that. With the economy as such, the business may be hurting and his family may feel like Tyron owes them the money. He gives them money and then they waste it and come back for more.

Or there's just the general misconception that once Tyron got drafted, they were set for life and the money was going to be endless. Take Bernie Kosar. His father was in charge of his finances early on his career. While Kosar was raised by a good family, his father took money and paid off his mortgage and bought things for himself w/o Bernie's consent. Then once he starts buying a few things w/o consent, he's more apt to continue to do it. Not a bad person per say, but for him...the money changed him from being a responsible adult to being a less than responsible adult.

YR
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    :confused: