1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TwoSteppinJJ, Oct 26, 2006.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, I had a UTEP fan on one of these boards tell me that early in the season, most of the picks he threw were deflections off his receivers' hands...
  2. TwoSteppinJJ

TwoSteppinJJ New Member

1,167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah 2 or 3 have been like that. But the majority of them have been poor reads. I've watched all of their games this year except for one and have attended a couple live at the Sun bowl. I also believe that Palmer has decent Mobility in the "Pocket" to be more specific, he can avoid the rush off the edge from time to time.

You make alot of great points silverbear :).
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,843 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    If we went WR, it would be for a guy like Calvin Johnson, a cant miss top notch stud.

Theres not one gaping hole IMO, bc we still have to take a look at a lot of young guys. Romo especially

can we stick w/ Watkins or do we have to draft someone there?

LT, RT, and RG all could be 1st round options

1st-LT
    2nd-QB
    3rd-RG
    4th-RT
    5th-FS/PR
    6th-LT
    7th-Nose
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,389 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Are you assuming that the Cowboys go into the draft with only Romo on the Roster ?

Also I realize that the Cowboys need to infuse youth at the WR position, but at the same time a first rounder, when OL is still a position of need ?
  5. MarionBarberThe4th

11,843 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    If for some insane reason Calvin Johnson was sitting there, we'd have to take him, but as it is now were not satisfying all of our weapons.

Through draft, free agency, trade, new coaching staff whatever it takes we got to get this o line thing fixed. If Romo is what I think he is, the line will be the only thing holding us back IMO
  6. YoungBuck

YoungBuck New Member

205 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we're going to pick a CB I'd much rather it be Aaron Ross from Texas. Not only is he one of the top corners in the country, he's also one of the top punt returners in the country.

I think the priorities are off. I like Rice, and I think we need to adress the WR position, but OLine has to be the #1 priority. When guys like Levi Brown and Justin Blalock will be available in the neighborhood of our pick, I'd hate for us to pass on them.

I'd then select Aaron Ross in the second round. He'd serve as a punt returner for now, and will be able to take over for Aaron Glenn when he retires in the next few years.

3rd I don't have a real problem with Jordan Palmer. Others to look at are Trent Edwards and Tyler Palko.
  7. YoungBuck

YoungBuck New Member

205 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just because you've never heard of him doesn't mean he isn't any good, or worthy of a 1st round pick.

Scott Wright, one of the most highly regarded draft scouts has him as a 1st round pick

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Here's a site with him projected as a top 10 pick

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

What do you know, another site with him as a 1st round pick..

http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

Do I need to continue??

6'4, 205, 4.4 speed. Gosh, why would we want a WR like that. :rolleyes:
  8. MarionBarberThe4th

11,843 Messages
    69 Likes Received
  9. YoungBuck

YoungBuck New Member

205 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That was just to support the scouting report I provided before it.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I really DOUBT that WR is even on the radar with the FO. With Hurd, Austin still to figure out I doubt that any first day picks go there.
    O line- depends on how the year goes. RIvera I think is definitly out of here- so we need to find out about Proctor. Kosier and Columbo and McQ need hard looks as well. We need to know if they can be solid players. I think Kosier will be fine; Columbo and McQ are very raw. Same with Proctor.
    As long as the FO thinks that they will develope I see no high picks on O line unless someone falls to us. QB of course all depends on how Romo does.
    SO once again I see D getting the picks. NT still a need; and probably a top young CB unless Jones and Reeves really show something. Of course, we might take care of several things in FA as well. Actually, I would rather go FA on the O line if we can get someone really good like Steinbach. Same on NT, if we can get some wide body with experience and nastiness. Realistically, with all the young guys we need to find out about its hard to see where the needs will be come march.
  11. Cowboy Bill Watts

Cowboy Bill Watts Member

706 Messages
    1 Likes Received

i really don't like this draft. if the only high draft choice we spend on OL is a 2 for a guard, i would think jerrah would make a run at someone in FA. we clearly need more OL help than this draft scenario provides.
  12. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Hmm, that might work to our advantage. You guys are right about him throwing a lot of ints. He doesn't have quite as much experience as Carson did at this stage. Then it took Carson till his 2nd or 3rd year before he was ready. I still think he'll go no later than round 3...but then again I thought Witten was going first round as many had him labeled as the top rated TE of that draft...and that worked out. Way too early to tell for Palmer, but it's fun talking about this stuff...QB is probably my fav position so I really hope we take one on day 1.
  13. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Live in or around El Paso, do you??

I really miss that area... I loved the desert when I lived down there...
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,045 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    I take it you don't watch much college football if you have to ask who Sidney Rice is.
  15. TwoSteppinJJ

TwoSteppinJJ New Member

1,167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I live in the Dallas area just in the suburbs. But I get around Texas to alot of High School and College football games. Its quite nice...

Do we need to go FS on the first day? Im not saying Watkins isnt good or going to be good but we have really been exposed in the secondary this year. More so in the safety positions.