1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys ALL TIME 53 man roster...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Deb, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That is true, but still, at this point, I would rate a number of our former 4-3 DE's ahead of Ware. That's not to say Ware won't be better, but as it stands Jones, Martin, Haley, Andrie, Jeffcoat and Tolbert have all been much more accomplished Cowboys than Ware.

I just can't, in good consience, replace a player with a history of success as a Cowboy with a player who has the potential to be better, but hasn't yet had the time to prove it.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,641 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    That was my point and why I don't mind you placing Coakley in for Ware as a 4-3 LB. Ware is just too young to be on a all time Cowboy team at this point. Especially at a position as 4-3 DE, which he can play, but as you pointed out is filled with great players. He doesn't fit the 4-3 LB scheme at all. Perhaps, he will have a long distinguished career as a 3-4 OLB and will have to be squeezed on to the future all time great team. I hope so.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    Most guys don't get Widby. I think he only played like one season, maybe two.
  4. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good points Stautner. Taking my normal 7-year requirement off meant that some guys were options that weren't available to me before.

I wasn't sure about Ware but I was trying to incorporate a few guys from the current team like Roy, Newman, & Witten and figured Ware would be a good pickup. I think he could have been a versatile player in any system with his athleticism but he actually replaced D.D. Lewis on my usual team.

Cole could play either DT or DE and had a knack for making plays at key moments, no all-time team of mine could be without him. Jeffcoat and Tony Tolbert are usually on my team but I replaced them with Haley and Glover.

Yep, I meant Kevin Smith, not Williams (DOH!) thanks for picking that up. K-Pup was one of the best CBs in the league before he got hurt and was never the same afterwards.

Again, I usually have Walt Garrison on my team but I wanted to get Herschel Walker on as he was extremely versatile and could fill a lot of roles.

Good points.
  5. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,546 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Hmmm, sounds like you're drafting Hennings specifically to be a backup.

I think that strategy has already been tried. :D
  6. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is my All-Time 53-man Cowboys Roster based on my usual criteria of having had to play at least 7 years as a Cowboy:

OFFENSE:
    QB:
    Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman
    RB: Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett, Don Perkins, Walt Garrison, Daryl Johnston
    WR: Bob Hayes, Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson,
    TE: Jay Novacek, Billy Joe DuPree, Frank Clarke, Doug Cosbie
    C: Mark Stepnoski, Dave Manders
    OG: Larry Allen, John Niland, Nate Newton, Herb Scott
    OT: Rayfield Wright, Erik Williams, Pat Donovan, Mark Tuinei

DEFENSE:
    CB:
    Mel Renfro, Cornell Green, Michael Downs, Everson Walls
    S: Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Darren Woodson, Dennis Thurman, Bill Bates
    OLB: Chuck Howley, Dave Edwards, Jerry Tubbs, D.D. Lewis
    MLB: Lee Roy Jordan, Bob Breunig
    DE: George Andrie, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin, Tony Tolbert, Jim Jeffcoat
    DT: Bob Lilly, Randy White, Jethro Pugh, Leon Lett, Larry Cole

K: Rafael Septien
    P: Danny White
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    A pretty solid list, but Michael Downs was a safety, not a CB.
  8. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I gotcha - I misunderstood what you were saying.
  9. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He played both positions at times though he was mostly a safety. I wanted a tall group of coverage guys who were solid tacklers as well. Besides, I was pretty limited in my choices of CBs who played for 7+ years for us. Benny Barnes, Ron Fellows, and Mike Gaechter were the only other ones to choose from.

On my actual roster they are all listed as DBs since Cornell Green, Dennis Thurman, Charlie Waters, and Mel Renfro, as well as Downs, all played various DB positions at times. Landry liked guys who were interchangeable at the DB spot. His CBs had to be solid tacklers and his safetys had to be able to cover well.
  10. eduncan22

eduncan22 Benched

2,384 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You need to add Tom Rafferty to this list.
  11. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The 7 year criteria does limit things. I understand why you set that criteria though - I personally hate to include guys that were just "rent-a-player" types that were hired just to help get us over a hump for a few years (like Deion Sanders).

But I also hate to include Downs at CB. I do recall he played a little CB - I believe that was his position when he entered the league. But I don' recall him being very effective at CB - hence the move to safety, where he was a solid player for a number of years.

I personally would rather have Fellows at CB and Downs at safety, and remove Dennis Thurman from the list.
  12. joseephuss

21,641 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    I would remove Bill Bates from safety before Thurman.
  13. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If just playing safety were the only consideration I would probably agree with you, but considering what Bates brought to the nickle defense (playing MLB and making huge plays regularly) and to special teams (do you recall that the NFL actually added the special teams spot on the Pro-Bowl for him?), I would have to say Bates wins the spot hands down.
  14. joseephuss

21,641 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    I would keep him considering special teams. Thurman did more as a DB. Bates did not make huge plays regularly as a DB either starting or playing in the nickel. He was a good player and solid, but not a playmaker outside of the special teams.
  15. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He had an INT in the playoff win over Chicago, but I don't remember much other than that.

Bates was a fan favorite and a Madden favorite, but I would take Thurman any day.
  16. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I disagree with you about Bates making plays in the nickle defense.

If you are thinking that he didn't intercept and/or defend a lot of passes as a nickle DB - you're right ....... BUT .......

the thing to recall about Bates is that he didn't play DB in the nickle, he played LB. His impact was in blitzing and making tackles behind the line of scrimmage and jarring the ball loose from TE's and RB's to them to prevent the 1st down reception, or tackling them short of the 1st down marker .........

He was a bigtime player in this role.
  17. joseephuss

21,641 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    Sorry, but that just is not the case. He had his moments and was a great Cowboy, but he was not a big time playmaker on a regular basis.
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    IN THE NICKLE....... I didn't mean as an every down player.

I'll be the first to admit that when Bates finally got the chance to start at safety he was very average at best.

But he was a hell of an asset in the nickle taking over the MLB spot - he made a real impact as a situational player.

BTW - do you think Thurman was a big time playmaker in ANY role .......?
  19. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thurman had five career touchdowns ... which ties the club record for defensive players.

Yeah, I'd say he made some big plays.

Also, Gene Stallings once said that Dennis was the smartest player he ever coached.
  20. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bates makes my team mostly for his STs contributions and because I really liked the guy. He was also a valuable player on the nickle and dime packages.

The reason I took Downs over Fellows or Barnes is because the guy was a ball-hawk with 35 INTs to his credit compared with 17 for Fellows and only 14 for Barnes (over a 12-year career that isn't much). Downs was also a very good tackler. Also, he wouldn't be a starter so having him come in for the nickle or dime package would be nice.