1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys and Garrett Against Quality Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Apollo Creed, Jan 16, 2013.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    nope, he is here becasue

1) the person evaluating him is a football idiot but doesnt want to admit his latest idiocy

2) he is in the family portrait
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    17 years no SuperBowl = ignore common sense.

Gotcha.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    We just need to play to win and stop playing to everyone elses level.

Our playcalling isn't really built to demolish teams.

Most of the time we're winning these games simply because we can just out athlete teams.
  4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,615 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    Of course I based it off the team's record at the end of the year.

I'm not going to go back and look at each team's record for every game we played, that's for nerds - or people with a Manti Te'o like lovelife.

So I went by final record, duh, the only thing that matters.

And regardless of what the robot and spindoctors try to suggest - we suck against good teams.

Case closed.
  5. hmcorp

hmcorp Member

701 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    So did the pats and the giants last year...your argument means nothing...
  6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,615 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    But the Pats and Giants have proven for 5 years now that they are capable of beating quality teams when it matters.

The Giants did it twice, beating playoff teams 4 times in a row during both their runs. I don't think we've beaten 4 good teams since I was 5 years old.

The Pats have been beating quality teams for over a decade now.

Cherry picking two seasons doesn't make their ridiculous rebuttle anymore right.

This place makes me feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Has this team won 2 outta 3 Super Bowls or something? Am I missing something here?
  7. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

895 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    No, the Giants beat 5 winning teams and the Pats beat two. You only mention the wins, how many losses did they have?
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Final record equals big picture, small picture, and every picture in between. If 'you play to win the game" what else matters? Never heard of coaches getting fired over statistics, but I have heard of coachs getting fired over record.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    We have not been able to consistenly beat the better teams and that is why we are where we are.

Teams that get it done when it matters like the Pats and company are in the playoffs and we are not.

Bottom line is that we are not good enough.

This year the NFC east was clearly down. We could not win even a weak division.

That says it all.
  10. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,278 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    To me, a trend like that demonstrates talent issues more than coaching issues. I was actually ready to see Garrett go, but now I'm not so sure.

IOW, if a team handles top competition but struggles against weaker teams, that bespeaks issues with preparation, taking teams too lightly, that sort of thing.

A .500 team that consistently loses to good teams and consistently beats bad teams is doing pretty much what it's supposed to do. You can argue that the talent here should have enabled Dallas to beat the better teams and the weaker teams, but I find it hard to believe that a coaching staff would hold back a talented team that much. If Dallas was really talented, that talent should have shown up enough to beat quality teams more often even with the worst coaching staff.
  11. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    That's how you get to 8-8
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    You must be counting the playoffs, because they combined to beat only one winning team during the regular season.

Five. They combined to go 1-5 against "winning teams" during the regular season. They also lost four games against "losing teams."

We had just as many wins against "winning teams" as they did -- combined -- during the regular season, and we went undefeated against "losing teams."
  13. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Also, I just noticed that the original post counts teams that finish 8-8 as "winning teams" when we lose to them and "losing teams" when we beat them -- probably intentionally, just to make our record look even worse.

In reality, it should be just the opposite. If you beat an 8-7 team, that's better than losing to a 7-8 team, even though both of them would be 8-8.
  14. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...I think the case may have been closed and caught your sloppy hand.

We now get it. You don't like this team. There are others to follow.
  15. hmcorp

hmcorp Member

701 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Just keep destroying this horrible posting... Love it Adam!!?
  16. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...beginning to wonder if the forum is forgetting specific details on which coaches spent so little time in prep and missed meetings?

Hard for players to give it their all when the coach isn't. At least in my limited view of sports that what I have witnessed.
  17. benson

benson Active Member

630 Messages
    230 Likes Received

I think what the original poster was trying to say was that Dallas does not beat teams who are capable of playoff contention, have proven themselves to be of playoff caliber, in general the more successful franchises.

The OP tried backing it with some stats that may be a bit skewed, but there is an eyeball test that will tell all you need to know.

2012 Wins - Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Panthers, Bengals, Buccaneers, Browns

2012 Losses - Seahawks, Ravens, Redskins, Giants, Saints, Falcons, Bears

The Steelers was our quality win, they didn't make the playoffs this year though they have proven to be a franchise warranting respect and are yearly playoff contenders.

The Seahawks, Ravens, Redskins, and Falcons are all playoff caliber teams and will be for years to come. The Saints are recent SB champs and have proven to be playoff contenders for the past few years and will likely return when SP returns.

_________

Now I'm not saying that the originally posted stats arn't skewed to favor this point, but merely looking at the W and L column one can see the Cowboys are not fit to contend in a tournament with the big dogs. And the results match the eye-ball test, we either missed or been one and done in the playoffs every year in the Romo era excluding a win against an Eagles team which was clearly overacheiving and thus has been absolutely BLOWN UP by management.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    yeah I was remembering some of the same squawkers in this thread making noise about how if we got into the playoffs anything could happen.

yeah sure
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,889 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    unfortunately, you are not likely to convince him with facts
  20. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...what the other side is saying is you can't use convenient stats to summarize a team's season and their ability to be competitive and win games.

Wins are wins and losses are losses. Often times an opposing team's record is not an indication of the quality of team they are. It's just an indication of how they have done in past games.

It's not a given that if during the regular season you beat the Superbowl winner for the year that you are better than the SB team.

It just means you won during the regular season. That's all.

Using a win/loss record is not the only way to assess a quality team, and often early in the season it's a poor method to evaluate.