1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Are a Rudderless Ship

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,128 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    We are fast becoming the laughing stock of the NFL. Jerry cuts the legs out from under his head coach. We have no identity. There seems to be long term plan. Just a bunch of band aids on gunshot wounds.
  2. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    In your opinion
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    This post is wholly without merit.

The team had a very clear identity and very clear direction for the past several years. The problem is it just didn't work. So they've changed directions on defense. I think if any coach in the history of defensive coordinators brings with him a "direction" and an "identity", it's Monte Kiffin.

The only real question right now is what's going to happen with the offensive coaching staff. And that's being worked out right now. You CANNOT say they do not have a direction or an identity, because you simply don't know what the direction is yet. They're mid-stream in the process of hiring and firing.

What you're experiencing right now is merely ignorance -- that is, ignorance of how this process will shake out.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh, we have a rudder. It's just broken. We need a new rudder.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,871 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Oh, we have an identity and its just the one Jerry wants. Its his face and his fingerprints everywhere and on everything that is the Dallas Cowboys.

As far as a direction, we have that too. Jerry has a $$$$ compass and whichever way that points, thats the direction. Now if he can fit in a decent football product too thats just a bonus.
  6. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Oh it has a direction. At 5-11 direction.

Hire a bunch of has-beens as solutions because you are out of answers.

With Jerry Jones it’s the blind leading the blind.
  7. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Too soon for this. Too many uncertainties still. Give it some time before you make that conclusion.
  8. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Wanna bet?
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No they're not.

Just because the details of an internal plan are not revealed to the public, that should not be misinterpreted as a lack of a plan.

The way I see it is that management and the head coach came to the conclusion that continuing down the same course on defense would not yield futur success.

So why can't we praise them for being proactive and implementing their contingency plans?

That's on top of last year's decision to forego supplementing talent on offense to get talent on defense. That's not a wasted effort now that they're changing on defense; rather it will require a redirection of that course, and the realistic possibility that it can be successful is what factored into the philosophical shift on defense in the first place.

With all that, they can stii redirect personnel attention to the offense this offseason, as was the plan over the last 3 years - to transition frome Wade Phillips roster in 2011, upgrade defensive talent in 2012, and now do the same on offense in 2013.

There's your rudder!
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,547 Messages
    5,477 Likes Received
    I don't agree with a single word of that. The last two years have been spent rebuilding the roster and changing the culture.
  11. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,465 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    So tired of logging in here and reading stuff like the OP.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,905 Messages
    1,319 Likes Received
    I've lost faith in Garrett but he should be making the coaching changes if he is going to stay. He becomes a lame duck coach next year. He's lost whatever power he did have.
  13. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,401 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    Frankly, your post lacks merit as much as you accuse the anchor post. There are a great deal of assumptions in your rebuttal.

The defense was more a problem because of health than it was poor play. Had the offense not been a turnover machine with a porous offensive line, and Dallas could have had any type of run game, this would have been a different season.

So Jerry, in his best GM wisdom hired a DC who will now change the scheme.

So any identity the team had, and improvements they would have made on offense is now being diluted on retooling if needed.

I have yet to understand in all the time I have been reading your posts why you feel the need to attack posters with acrimony.

Jerry Jones is flailing at making changes for change's sake, and the OP had a point.

As long as the guy who is not a football mind keeps churning the coaches box, this team is running strictly on talent alone.

That talent gets the fans about 8 wins a year.
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,100 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    If we ever win a sb again it will be in spite of Jerry
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    No, you just don't like who has their hands on the rudder. I can't say I'm loving these moves myself. The last time the Cowboys ran the Tampa 2, there was a fanclub on this board called GROZ.
  16. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,699 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Yea I don't agree with the OP on this at all.
  17. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    posting it is one thing...thinking his ground breaking opinion needed a NEW thread when it could have blended in well with the other 50 just like it....thats the problem
  18. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,602 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    When the Captain has no idea what he is doing, you might as well be rudderless. Such is the case in Dallas.
  19. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys Coaches and Co-Ordinators since 1998:

1998: Gailey (HC/OC), Campo (DC and HC in waiting forced on Gailey by Jones)
    1999: Same
    2000: Campo (HC), Jack Reilly (OC), Mike Zimmer (DC)
    2001: Same
    2002: Campo (HC), Bruce Coslet (OC), Mike Zimmer (DC)
    2003: Parcells (HC), Mo Carthon (OC), Mike Zimmer (partially forced on Parcells by Jones) (DC)
    2004: Same
    2005: Parcells (HC), Sean Payton (OC), Mike Zimmer (DC)
    2006: Same
    2007: Wade Phillips (HC), Jason Garrett (OC and head coach in waiting forced on Phillips by Jones), Brian Stewart (DC)
    2008: Same
    2009: Wade Phillips (HC/DC), Jason Garrett (OC)
    2010: Phillips/Garrett (HC), Garrett (OC), Paul Pasqualoni (DC)
    2011: Garrett (HC/OC), RR (DC)
    2012: Garrett (HC/OC), RR (DC)
    2013: Garrett (HC), TBA (OC forced on Garrett by Jones), Kiffin (DC forced on Garrett by Jones)

Finally tally: 5 head coaches in 16 years, 7 OC's in 16 years, 6 DC's in 16 years. 4.5 Co-ordinators forced on coaches by the GM (I'll count Zimmer as a half), and 2 HC's in waiting hired and forced on the HC.

Seems rudderless to me. In my opinion.
  20. scottsp

scottsp Well-Known Member

2,289 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Ah, the things people here don't wish to read. I guess it comes down to expectations. The identity has everything to do with being mediocre. There are some good things, some bad. Some things are accounted for while other details are typically ignored.

If the plan centers around changing coordinators, a few staffers, and little more, well... I would expect more of the same. The Cows won't be scheming themselves into the playoffs. That's not much of a plan, IMO.

A better job of procuring talent, especially at the point of attack would go a long way in forging an identity.

I would agree with the OP. This organization spends a lot of time reversing field when the previous blueprint fails miserably.