1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Are a Rudderless Ship

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,875 Messages
    8,964 Likes Received
    That's the fan rallying cry this year. Teh Garrett sucks. He's holding back all our talent.

The truth is the play calling has nothing to do with why we don't win. A lack of talent does. At the most critical areas on the field.
  2. Holdenteller67

Holdenteller67 Benched

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I want a change at the top. That is the only one that matters. Jones is the issue and I believe that is the point of the original post. No coach will succeed with Jones meddling and under cutting them. Change the GM and the culture changes.
  3. Risen Star

21,875 Messages
    8,964 Likes Received
    We're just not structured that way and you're not taking into account the distinct advantage of having a GM who can make bad decisions over and over again and not be fired for it.

Did I mention it's all about winning?
  4. Holdenteller67

Holdenteller67 Benched

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Show me the winning. I've been a fan of this team for almost 40 years and I have never been so disheartened. The culture of this team has been created and directed by one man and it's his fault the franchise is in the shape it is in. Hire whatever coach you want it can't change because Jones must have his say, his hand involved. I don't get excited about any coaching changes because it all feels forced by one man being reactionary. A man with no plan or vision, but a man who reacts because he has no idea what he is doing or how to do it.
  5. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Dallas needs a good GM, then a good head coach and consistency will come into play.
  6. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,382 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Please don't tell me you actually think coaching only plays a little part in a team's success? :lmao:
  7. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,173 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Criticizing playcalling is one of the most ridiculous things in the world. The coaches generally understand down, distance, personnel groupings and tendencies far better than anyone not associated with the team. Most of the complaints are due to the results, not the call per say.

The offensive line absolutely has impacted how Garrett can call a game. This needs to be addressed with talented guys who are scheme fits. When they drafted Smith, it appeared that they were going with a more mobile line profile, with Smith and Free being very good foot athletes. Then, last year, they add Livings and Bernadeau, neither of whom are good foot athletes. Adding players without considering the strengths of the entire unit is as bad as not addressing it at all.
  8. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,273 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    Coaches are only as good as the talent they have on the field.

If they devise a plan and part of it requires a player to read and execute something specific, and they don't, then whose fault is it.

Or have you forgotten the Dez Bryant Tony Romo interception in the Chicago game where Dez broke off a route and Romo threw a pick.

Now I am not defending play calling by Garrett. I think he outright sucked. And I would imagine some of the best plays Dallas performed were due to Romo audibling at the line.

But to assume a coach has some magic wand that makes players play beyond their ability is a myth.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,682 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    Well, is that something that we already did not know?

:confused:

Since the season is over, we don't know what coaches will be with the team yet. But, It would be good if the Cowboys do get an OC.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    The rudderless ship is exactly what Dallas is.

Post 1995, it has a .500 record. High turnover at all coaching spots. One of the lower drafting success rates in the NFL and always seaching for the new solution. No stability or team identity. The OP was correct.

The FO is going back to a Tampa scheme they forced on the DC back in 2002. Think about that. 10 years and 5 DC later and its full circle. Meanwhile, your drafts (which are normally poor) are nearly two DC's behind what you want to do. For example, by the time Wade go his "guys" in his system, he was fired. Lol. Ryan has to play with his system with Bills/Wades guys now he is gone after getting some corners to play his scheme.
  11. Holdenteller67

Holdenteller67 Benched

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's our Jerry. :banghead:
  12. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,476 Messages
    1,258 Likes Received
    The fan rallying cry this year is that we will be just fine once Garrett gives up play calling. Now, it seems Jerry has even bought into it.
  13. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,763 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    Of course he did. Never mind that HE fielded perhaps the worst OL in the league.

It's like as soon as he makes a decision, he regrets it or second guesses it.

He has the resolve of a 2-year old, or he's playing a game of problem-solving-whack-a-mole.
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,273 Messages
    2,100 Likes Received
    Read the quote in my post, Goober.
  15. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    LOL...........that was great for a laugh. LOL

Thanks for that one!

We had a plan and a direction, it just didnt work. LOL

Its time for you to face the music. This team is lost and flailing in the wind. Jones doenst know what he is doing, Garrett doesnt know what he is doing, our Oline is soo bad, its going to take several years of getting it right in order to fix it. By then, Romo will be toast and have nothing left. Witten and Ware will also be toast. With Jones not smart enough to find a young QB to groom before its too late, we will be stuck with Jones getting desperate once Romo is gone and throw ice cream against the wall and hoping it sticks. Most likely he will look around the NFL and see all these rookies making the playoffs and think he can have a rookie to do it too. He'll pull another Quincy Carter move and draft the wrong guy and hand him the keys to the franchise without ever earning it. We will spin in the wind for another 4 years before Jerry accepts its not right guy. Then he will go out and sign some veteran journeyman QB for a shortcut and that will be another two years wasted.

Welcome to Jerry's world.

Maybe by then Garrett will have learned how to coach. LOL
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    We have a rudder, it is just stuck in a locked position aiming for dry land at max speed. If we can run aground and make it another 20 yards we'll hit open water and be fine.

Jerry listening to Lacewell is drove us to three consecutive 5 win seasons. IT was so bad Jerry gave Parcells power and authority to actually make football moves like hire people.

The day Lacewell left VR offered me so much hope.

To hear him being quoted now makes me want to climb a friggin bell tower.
  17. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    We have a winner.
  18. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    When I read that article about Lacewell I could not believe that. It's seems that this team is going back to those five win seasons.

Dallas fans have to hold Jerry accountable by hitting him in the pocket.
  19. Risen Star

21,875 Messages
    8,964 Likes Received
    I think that our coaching is fine. I think we have no NFL talent at 4 of the 5 spots on our offensive line and no matter how frustrating that is as a fan, I can not check my brain at the door and just assume coaching can overcome that.

You need a talent base to work with. We don't have that there. No offense will hum in that situation. I don't care who the coach is.
  20. Risen Star

21,875 Messages
    8,964 Likes Received
    Good post. If Garrett was truly behind the OL additions last year, now there's a real reason to criticize him. I just can't know that considering the front office he deals with.

Complaints about play calling is a fan crutch. All fan bases do it. 90% of the time it's complete nonsense. Like refs cheating us.

Just give Garrett an average OL and you'd see one of the highest scoring offenses in the league on a yearly basis.