1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys are a soft team

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AmberBeer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    is it true this is still worst defense in nfl? They are alos like mash unit. Starters standing on sidelines all the time. Parcells wouldnt let players miss from injury lol. Toughness left when Big Bill left.
    silver likes this.
  2. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,201 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    The term Soft is one of those things people use when they have no idea what they're talking about IMO.
  3. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,598 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    How about Robert Brewster with his shirt off as a benchmark?
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  4. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

750 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    IDK if I would "Blame Jerry" based on liking "Flashy" players.. Dez was a "Flashy" pick and his is arguably the most physical WR in the entire league both prior to the catch and after the catch with the ball in his hands..

I honestly think part of the problem is the "RKG" philosophy.. there are a few examples of guys who are both RKG and extremely tough and physical like Sean Lee and Jason Witten but we also have a bunch of guys who were supposed to be "RKG" in terms of not having any off field issues, not having a bad attitude etc and a lot of them have been pretty soft.. Wilber is soft, Escobar is soft, Williams is soft even thought he is a good player so far, Miles is soft, Morris Claiborne is soft etc etc.

If you are unwilling to draft guys who have ever shown anything other than a choir boy mentality that is probably what you are going to get.. It's not every day a guy who is a great guy off the field and the sweetest guy on earth in the locker room is going to be a nasty football player.. in my experience with sports both playing and coaching sometimes the guys who are nasty and have a dont give a F attitude off the field are also nasty on the field..

I just watched 2 guys who are not "RKG" have a physical battle on MNF in Talib and Steve Smith.. 2 guys I would love to have.. Theres probably 2 or 3 non RKG guys on each team I would love to have on this team that would bring some toughness

Bottom line is the cowboys dont bully anyone.. EVER
    5Stars, tantrix1969 and Carharris2 like this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,992 Messages
    7,728 Likes Received
    I think the problem is the accumulation of significant injuries on defense, the continued liability in coverage by our Ss, the inability of some of our LBers to adapt to their coverage responsibilities in the new scheme, and, inexplicably, recently, our 3rd down offense. I don't think it has anything at all to do with 'soft' players.

Nor do I agree that some of the players you mention are necessarily soft. Escobar needed to add strength and work on his blocking from day one. Miles has chronic injury problems, but he's widely considered a very hard worker, and he's shown in previously on the field. Morris Claiborne---he's got some willingness-to-play-hurt yet to demonstrate, I'll grant you.

And I especially don't agree that Steve Smith is not a RKG kind of player. People mistake RKG to mean 'choirboy.' What it really means is smart players to whom football is important. That's Steve Smith to a tee, if I've ever seen it in a player. Aqib Talib is a knucklehead, and we'd rightly stay away from him, I'm sure.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,105 Messages
    1,959 Likes Received
    This team is so dysfunctional and disjointed on both sides of the ball, HC, OC, DC and owner, that it would be considered somewhat of a miracle to get this ship righted within the next 5 years. There is SO much work to do.
  7. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    It was funny when all the Garrett fans were talking about a tough new sherriff in town. He is a skinny version of Wade. We lose by 30 and he starts the presser saying we did a lot of good things today!
  8. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Let's give a cookie here to Captain Obvious.

The whole NFL is soft now, but, I do agree that these Cowboys teams of the past 10 years are the softest.
  9. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Your statement carries no value, other than pettiness, unless you back it up with some reasons.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    This team has gradually gotten softer ever since we moved into the new stadium. Probably coincidence rather than correlation.

Sounds ridiculous, but maybe it's the luxury atmosphere that's softening our side.

Who knows.
  11. AmberBeer

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    I think it's gotten softer ever since Jimmy Johnson left.
  12. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    True. But to be fair, that team is one of the more underrated 'tough' teams in league history.

When people think "Tough" they usually think of 70s steelers, 85 bears, 2000 Ravens, etc. That 90s dynasty is on the same level.
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,388 Messages
    1,355 Likes Received
    Even Romo has looked soft this season, afraid to take a hit. He could spend some more time in the weight room, too.
  14. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

968 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    I miss Roy Williams...Why can't we just have one player who strikes fear into offensive players...

The Cowboys are soft because the entire culture is soft. Look at the stadium...a marvelous architectural feat...but is there really any sort of home-field advantage? Whenever I watch games on TV, everyone is sitting on their hands...we need the freakin' big screen to tell people when to make noise...

Cowboys fans, in general, are horrible football fans. Most of them can't name 5 players on the team and those are the ones who attend the games...
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    I don't see it.

I think people are comparing them to the teams of the past without considering the modern rules that prevent kill shots and excessive physical play.

The way Roy Williams played in his first few years wouldn't be allowed today.

One player that trys to play aggressively is Ernie Sims. The result is that he has mulitple penalties just this season for personal fouls and is consistently out of position due to being overly aggressive.

The only player that I would like to have more of a mean streak is DeMarcus Ware; although, he's been one of the best at his position without the mean streak.
    Idgit likes this.
  16. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

968 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    If DeMarcus Ware was a mean person, or had a nasty side to him ALA James Harrison...he'd be hands down, the best player in the league.
  17. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    The defense already gives up enough yardage w/o adding roughing and un-sportsmanlike penalties to it. un-necessary thread IMO.
  18. AmberBeer

3,048 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    So you don't see other teams play more physical than the Cowboys? They all play the same to you?
  19. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,398 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    It is now largely a myth that we are a finesse team.
    I see no finesse in our offense, only awkward stop and go and sputter.
    If there is a finesse anywhere it is in our defense that has been immasculated to years of stupid "react" kind of defenses while the rest of the NFL goes to "attack" mode defenses such as the ravens last year and maybe the 49ers, also last year.

One of the worst things Landry ever did to the franchise is instill a classy/gentlemanly/technical/by-the-book type approach to football. Yes, we drafted generally good guys who were put in a system that was rigid and left little opportunity for improvisation. Case in point, the "No, Danny, No Danny No!" constraints by Landry.

This was held over until Jimma got here. He threw the Landry system out the window and drafted good guys, dirty players and marginal criminals who improvised and attacked and kept attacking. That was our zenith years. Smash-mouf football with the only finesse involving routes by Irvin and smart running by E. "Diamond" Smith.

I half said too much. And the great stuff I wrote above made me dizzy. I half to rest now.
    mrmojo likes this.
  20. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

665 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Do you halfs to?