1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys break 1/23

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 23, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,940 Messages
    2,828 Likes Received
    It always surprises me that the media guys that work for the Cowboys can't present clear and accurate numbers when it comes to the salary cap.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,950 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    he was not pretty good

he just sucked less
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    I think I've made the point before that screaming about how we have no cap space is a really easy story to tell. Judging from most people on this board, they don't need to work any harder b/c even when things are explained in detail, folks don't understand the cap
  4. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    It's been so long since we've seen consistently good line play that people's standards have really lowered.
  5. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    His post seems fine to me. I'm on an Android smartphone.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Its stupid to cut free or Ratliff.

unless we have proven replacements.

Right now we do not. Free could bounce back and have a great year and since the team will be paying him a lot anyway, or at least in cap numbers...

I would rather he have a great bounce back year here instead of KC where who knows I bet andy reid would have interest.

same goes with Ratliff, the last thing we need is him cut and ending up in ny or philly and he has a bounce back year.
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Easy decision for me. Cut Free and never look back.

Word is Jamarcus Russell is attempting a comeback. Bring him in to play RT. At 6'5" 308 lbs and solid athleticism he'd be a perfect fit :D
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    I agree on Free -- except that he knows that no one is going to pay him 7 or 8 mill or whatever it is next year. If cut, he'd not earn anywhere near that. I'd like him at a reduced salary.

Ratliff... that decision cannot be made based on need. Given everything that has happened over the past few weeks, Ratliff needs to be cut. It just has to be that way
  9. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

472 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Completely agree. Free is a pretty good tackle as long as he doesn't have to play a full game. Him switching off with Parnell might just work.
  10. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Was a bad attempt at a joke. I was just commenting on your writing style. It's more in short lines going down than it is sentences going across horizontally.
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    why not draft a RT in Day 2 of the Draft, for example, let him compete against Parnell?

If we cut Free post June 1st, use the cap savings on solidifying other positions including Safety, LB/DE depth, etc.

The caveat is that Callahan thinks that Free's mistakes can be remedied and Free can somehow return to top quality form. On that, I have no idea. I have to think that's the main reason Free would return if he, in fact, does return.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,940 Messages
    2,828 Likes Received
    Callahan was reported to be the one that "pushed" for Parnell to get more playing time.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If that's the case, maybe the best option is to draft an OT who also has the versatility to play OG.

Get the 5 best guys on the field.

Let the rookie compete against Parnell first. If Parnell is doing well, let the rookie compete against the OGs for a starting spot.

Use the Free savings on improving our other problem positions and depth.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    You've just made a case to never cut any player. Ever.
  15. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

119 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Much more will be lost by the message sent by not cutting Ratliff than could possibly be gained by what he gives you on the field.

An organization like Pittsburgh cuts a productive young player like Chris Rainey, and it sends a no nonsense message to the rest of the team.

Our team?

One player kills another while driving drunk then a month later someone else it at it again.

A message needs to be sent: drive drunk and you're gone.

That's WAY bigger than DEPTH at defensive tackle for crying out loud !!
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,950 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    sad but true
  17. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    And they said on Talkin' Cowboys last week that Bill Callahan was pushing to get Jermey Parnell on the field long before it actually happened near the end of the season.

Bryan Broaddus also mentioned that Doug Free and most of the big money contract players have built in clauses allowing the team to convert large base salaries into signing bonuses in order to get salary cap relief.

Broaddus changed his tune from releasing Free to keeping Free because of that option.

The team did it last year because Free's base salary was already guaranteed.

His 2013 base salary ($7M) is not.

I don't see Dallas adding another $5.8M in guaranteed money (lower base salary to $1.2M and convert $5.8M into another signing bonus pro-rated at $1.45M per yr) to Free's contract in order to get some cap relief.

Will Free take a straight cut in base salary in order to remain with the team?

I doubt it.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    He should. It beats the hell out of getting straight up cut and then getting nowhere close to the money he's scheduled to make this year.

He's in line to make 7M this year. He might be able to get that much at his new stop but only after the signing bonus. From there, he'd have base salaries that probably aren't half of what his base salaries are in Dallas.

He best possible play, in terms of money, is to renegotiate the deal all together into a lower number for at least this next season and then to go out there and earn the right to not have to do the same the following year. He concedes he's not worth the amount, takes way less and then shows the team he's worth his paycheck the following year and is allowed to continue to play.

Dallas' best play is to designate him and move on.
  19. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,121 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    The Stealers really sent a message with their handling of the rapist
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Free and Sensabaugh would be my choices..

...and Ogletree!