1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Break 1/7/13... Speculates Denver will be Thanksgiving Day game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    Yes. Even though I would have in some circumstances. Though not with Tyron and Watt.

I wanted to draft Felix Jones. The Cowboys drafted Felix Jones. The Cowboys made a bad draft pick. What I wanted is irrelevant. What the results are is what matters.

This pass the buck, nobody's responsible, group decision mentality doesn't fly.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    To some extent, in the end it does fall back to those running the team even if 100% of the fan based hollered to get a certain player. If that player does not pan out then it is on management.

I would say any fan who hollered and screamed to get a player and the team did so they really do not have much to complain about since they got what they wanted even though it is not their responsiblity.
  3. Risen Star

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    No. I support a fan admitting he was wrong and criticizing his team for making a bad draft pick. They are held to a standard above fan.

What's the alternative? Just hope my team makes popular picks? Results be damned?
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,437 Likes Received
    I agree. We all know the organization had access to information we didn't. They should make the right picks. It's their job.

And there's no denying that Watt's a better player than Smith is so far.
  5. Risen Star

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    Do I consider players I didn't want bad picks regardless of what they do on the field?

Their play on the field will dictate your final opinion on the decision to pick that player. To absolve the Cowboys decision makers based on a popularity poll at the time of the pick and not the results on the field is just pure, blind homerism.
  6. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    Did not say that but to whine about a pick that you wanted because he does not pan out is pathetic. Yes management in the end was wrong about a player unfortunatly not all players do pan out even those whom draft pros think will be great. It is not a matter of passing the buck yes it is management who deserves the blame but piling on after the fact when they got the guy you wanted does not fly
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,437 Likes Received
    That gets back to tone. There's really never a need to whine about anything. But it should be ok to say, "I wanted this guy that the organization took, but the organization clearly made a mistake in taking him." Right?
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    and? you can't know for a fact what a player will do over time. period. end of story. to get all butthurt years later cause of what you "could have had" without knowing at the time is just...

well i can't say it here cause it could offend.
  9. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    Getting a highly touted player is hard to claim that as a mistakes it is a calculated risk on any player.

You check out the players you do your homework and you make your choice.

Sure someone has to take the responsibility when the player does not work out but where they wrong for taking a player who graded out high throughout the league?

I can deal with that mistake than I can with over reaching for a player
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    If we play Denver it will be on CBS.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    it's not hypocrisy because we don't have the resources that the scouts do. If we had access to all the tapes, interviews, private workouts and had the same amount of time to put into evaluations and came to the same conclusion, then we'd be hypocrites.
  12. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    And that is what guys like Kiper and Mayock do they view the tapes they talk with the programs and the kids and even at that some guys do not pan out as so called experts predict they will. There is no perfect formula that says a guy will live up to his draft status or not.

Now I do have an issue with getting a player like Quincy Carter 2 rds before most felt he should have gone to me that is when you more apt to miss than hit on a player but any player drafted from #1 overall to the last guy in the draft is a crap shoot.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    Miles is not on par.
    His yardage and catch total would be fine if they came in about 20% less targets.

Miles was WR1 for about 8 weeks as seen by his targets. NFL defenses deemed him the number 2 because he scared no one and eventually Romo agreed going to Dez more and more.

We've seen 3 or 4 passes in 2 seasons sail harmlessly over Miles head that a player with good speed goes and gets and scores on.

Right now Miles is not much different than Dwayne Harris. A solidly built WR that can break tackles. If he doesn't regain breakaway speed he offers us little.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    that's not complaining.

that is crying.

no one choosing players has hindsight to work with.

dallas should have drafted terrell davis, tom brady and victor cruz. they didn't so i am mad....

you can disagree about thought process or player evaluation but crying over the result after the fact is just that: crying.
  15. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,945 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    We're definitely playing on CBS next year cause we played on Fox this year and it rotates every year so it'll be Denver or Oakland.
  16. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Results are the last thing that matters, unless you're psychic.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,940 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    I would hope for once the Cowboys can have game 16 at home.
  18. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Not a hard thing to speculate on, its either oakland or denver, do people want to see peyton manning or the raiders?
  19. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,012 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    my good friend is a Broncos fan. We drove up to Denver for the Cowboys @ Broncos game in 2009. Would LOVE to go to see them play each other @Dallas. If it was on Thanksgiving, even better.
  20. munkee

munkee Member

342 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    That sucks. I live in Colorado and the local in-laws are of course Broncos fans. Denver-Dallas Thankgivings games make for a tense day.