1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys breaking the bank is a bad idea

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Are you saying resign him at all costs? Seriously?
  2. Verdict

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Why would you change my quote to something totally different than what I said? If you misunderstood my original point and paraphrased it, that would be one thing, but to make it appear like I said something I didn't should get you banned on this forum.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Lighten up, Spags. It was a joke. And I didn't change anything. I only responded to one part. And I think you'll find many who disagree with you about the banned part. You did write that, did you not? I guess humor is a lost art around here.

CowboyMcCoy :)
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Of course I didn't say that. You know that... You're a lawyer, right?

But it's kind of obvious when you refer to him as an average player. He's better than that, and it's not just people in Dallas who think so.

And I'm not saying we have to keep him. But if we don't, we better have a better plan than just assuming an untested second year player can replace him simply because he was a third rounder. A lot of third rounders aren't any good.

Crawford was drafted to be a 34 end, which is quite a bit different from 43 end. And we don't even know if he can play yet.
  5. Verdict

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received

Yes. I got the Spags part. Ha ha. It's not about you disagreeing with me or my thoughts. I'm cool with that. The part that you posted does not appear anywhere in this thread. I am well aware of your post count. But that has nothing to do with my original complaint.

Do you think what you did was appropriate? You may find it funny. I didn't.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Verdict, I merely took part of your post and commented on it. My post count has nothing to do with anything. If it makes you feel better, it could be a lot higher. But I was banned several times. But no one cares about my post count. I certainly don't. Do I think it was appropriate? Yes, I didn't think it was an issue. This is the first time I ever had any direct complaint from you and you obviously get that I was referring to Mickey. And the part I posted was from your original post, OP. Or did you not read your own writing? It's commonplace to respond to only part of a post. It happens all the time around here. Why isn't it appropriate? Feel free to send me a PM.
  7. Verdict

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Look, I will readily admit that was a Spencer basher prior to this year. I personally though that the franchise tag last year was a waste on him. I will admit that although I didn't focus on his play this past year, that most objective people would say he had a career year, and that at the end of the year that he was one of the bright spots on the defense.

With that being said, I think we would all agree that Ware and Lee are both more valuable on defense than Spencer. It is also at least arguable that Mo, and Carter are at least equally as valuable as Spencer, if not more so. In fact, some might make the case that Spencer is more expendable than all of those guys plus Carr on defense. That doesn't include the offensive side of the ball.

In the salary cap world, the cap is going to be 120 (plus a few million) and your QB is going to eat up about 15-20 million per year of that on average going forward. I personally think it was a bad idea to pay Barber, and Ratliff. I am for paying Romo. I was for paying Ware.

Spencer may be a better than average player. In fact for purposed of this discussion only I will stipulate that he is an above average player. Is he going to be worth 10 percent of your non QB related cap expense? Personally, I would say no. But if we resign him I hope that I am wrong. But I am concerned that I will be right.

Here is another thought .... when you resign a free agent and pay him big cap dollars it is really a break even/lose situation most of the time. If he performs up to his contract, then you are Ok. If not then you end up eating loads of dead money or riding out bad contracts. (Free may fall into this category). Very seldom do you pay a guy huge cap dollars and he outperforms his contract.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Spencer has been a baller for a few years that I can remember. He doesn't fair well with the fans' litmus test because their formula is that for every sack, his value goes up and whichever number of sacks he has, well that must define his numeric value to our team, etc.

This has been false for a long time. It's the things Spencer doesn't get credit for that makes him valuable.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,571 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    I care about your post count........

Because mine is higher than yours and thus I am more special.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm going to start my own board and you're not invited. :p
  11. Verdict

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received

I probably owe you an apology. I got the Mickey portion of your post. But I did misunderstand something about your post. I was looking at it from a different angle and I was mistaken. I am big enough to admit when I am wrong. Since I called you out publicly I think you deserve a public apology as well.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    You don't owe me an apology, but accepted anyway. I've been around long enough to know there are misunderstandings. It happens.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,338 Messages
    828 Likes Received
    I believe that "decent" DL get you 8-8 seasons.
    I am done with that.

That has been our achiles tendin: An infatuations with over-the-hill, aged, journeymen players like Hatcher, Ratliff and those other no-names you mentioned. Spencer is so overrated it is silly to talk about him as viable player for the money he will be demanding.

Ware and Lee, even when healthy, I am convinced, cannot do it by themselves. That is a fact.

And you are correct: our OL is garbage.