1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys Camp '13 - Kid Watch (Defensive Edition)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,039 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    - Matt Johnson: the once invisible man is becoming more and more visible. He's playing the free safety role on the second team, dropping into the deep middle when the team runs cover 3, while J.J. Wilcox patrols the box. He's been solid in support and keeps the top of the shell. The offense has had problems completing deep passes on any of the Cowboys zones thus far, and Johnson's play is one reason why. He's started with the do-no-harm (to your unit) philosophy and has slowly expanded his range and his risk taking.

Yesterday, he made Tony Romo pay for a lazy throw in a full scrimmage. The offense lined up in a "tight" I right, with Dez Bryant as the X and Jason Witten as the Y, and Gavin Escobar in front of DeMarco Murray in a straight-I. The formation was tight because both receivers were set much closer to the open OT and the TE than normal. The formation hinted a power run was coming and Romo hoped to spring Bryan open up the left sideline off a play action fake. Romo's fake held Morris Claiborne and Bryant blew past him. Romo's throw was high and on the numbers, left for Bryant to snag. Johnson held his half of the deep zone, undercut Dez and intercepted the pass. He tweaked a knee on the return, but walked off the knock andcompleted the session.

With Will Allen playing a surprisingly good FS for the first unit, Johnson's steady emergence suddenly gives the team options at the free. Knock on wood and find your rabbit's foot. It's been ages since we've able to say that.

-- J.J. Wilcox: He looks comfortable going down-hill, and the strong safety duties fit him. He got a well-publicized correction earlier this week for jacking up receivers in drills. Wilcox clearly wants to show off his aggressiveness and he looks like a player. The scolding goes farther than possibly causing an injury. Wilcox has a hair trigger on his charges and this scheme requires discipline and control.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/07/cowboys-camp-13-kid-watch-defensive.html
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  2. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,322 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Appreciate all the information and articles from you, Woody, et al.
    Excited to see Wilcox in the preseason games, he can hit other people outside of his own team.
  3. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,854 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    It seems as if all the starting LB's are excelling so far. Great signs with the switch to 4-3.
    Zordon likes this.
  4. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,322 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Agreed. Just hope they stay as healthy as possible throughout the season.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,384 Messages
    2,274 Likes Received
    Luv reading this stuff... Good or bad reviews I greatly enjoy reading them.
    Zordon likes this.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,880 Messages
    3,924 Likes Received
    I'll add that on today's Talkin Cowboys, Broaddus said for all the Cowboys training camps he's attended, he's never seen so many turnovers and so much emphasis on turnovers.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,384 Messages
    2,274 Likes Received

I think we have some reasons to be encouraged defensively.
  8. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,854 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Hopefully the increased turnovers in our practices will help Romo cut down on some in game turnovers. It could be our insane lack of turnovers recently makes him more comfortable than he should be at times. I know Romo has shown the ability to limit turnovers previously but it can't hurt.