1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys Camp '13 -- Kid Watch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    -- Travis Frederick: Your starting center. That's set. The team continues to work him from time to time at the guard spots, but when the team scrimmages 11-on-11, he's the guy feeding the ball to Tony Romo.

Every. Time.

He's been steady. He and his fellow guards had some trouble coordinating in the first couple of days and tripped each other on stretch runs. That has disappeared. Frederick is still working on handling really quick DTs. Ben Bass can swim past him in 1-on-1 drills. When the play is live, Tony Romo's inner pocket has been sound, and that's due in great part to Frederick's presence. That part of the Cowboys offense is far ahead of last year. He's been pulling on flanker screens, another benefit from his spot. Having another interior who can pull adds flexibility to the running and passing games.

-- David Arkin: We're still waiting for Mackenzy Bernadeau to challenge him but at the moment Arkin is the starting right guard. Phil Costa is working at this position, but he's taking all his reps with the 2nd unit. Arkin has always been able to pull and the Cowboys are using his quicks to flip their run balance. In their glory days, they put Nate Newton, their best power puller, at left guard and ran power, their inside counter, to the right, behind RT Erik Williams, their best straight-line blocking tackle.

These days, that power OT is LT Tyron Smith. Dallas is now running power, for the first week anyway, primarily to the left, with Arkin pulling behind Smith.

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2013/07/cowboys-camp-13-kid-watch.html
    Irvin88_4life likes this.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    Want to see this versus some of the better DTs in the league but Vela has a lot of credibility IMO.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    While it means little at this point, the overall play of the offensive line has been much better in this camp than it was at this point last year.

I'm encouraged... Not confident, but encouraged.
  4. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,813 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    It seems the best additions to this team were through subtraction. Namely losing Hudson Houck and Dave Campo. Does it not seem awfully coincidental that suddenly prospects are cropping up on the OL and seconday once they left.
  5. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    How do u know this?
  6. MichaelWinicki

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    I've been reading the reports.

Free has been playing well... Better (by some accounts) than Smith.

Fred has been solid in pass protection.

Arkin has gotten props. Kowalski has gotten some himself.

It hasn't all been perfect, but better than last year at this point.
  7. davey999

1,399 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Oh, reading the reports. I get it.
  8. MichaelWinicki

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    Like the commercial says... "It's not that complicated."
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,185 Messages
    760 Likes Received
    For some it seems it is.
  10. davey999

1,399 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Point is. You won't see many reports from around the league about how bad teams look.

Everyone is 0-0.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,994 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    Nobody is more skeptical about this team than me. However most of the reports we have been reading are coming from some of the more respected bloggers (Vela, the guys at BTB, Jon Bales) none of whom are not paid house schills or drinking buddies FWIW. Like you I want to see it on the field. Until I see Arkin at least holding his own out there I truly woont believe it.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,760 Messages
    1,192 Likes Received
    The combination of health and Frederick in the middle is the reason for that I would think. Makes everything else easier.
  13. MichaelWinicki

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    Not true.

The start of camp last year gave many ugly reports on the performance of the offensive line. Smith was bad early. Free was bad. One guard wasn't close to playing. And centers were dropping like "flies".

There's a whole host of people that go to these practices and report on stuff.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,885 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    Yep. Things look a good bit better these days.
  15. davey999

1,399 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    They will have to prove it in games. Not buying the hype yet.
  16. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,309 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    you have to put the first step down to get to your destination...I would say, so far, that the OL has walked a little...they aren't close to getting to the end of the journey, but they are moving in the right direction.