1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys center Phil Costa: Patriots' Vince Wilfork 'more like a speed bump

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jblaze2004, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,238 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Cowboys center Phil Costa: Patriots' Vince Wilfork 'more like a speed bump' than a mountain

By
    SportsDayDFW sports
    websports@dallasnews.com | Bio

5:54 PM on Wed., Oct. 12, 2011 | Permalink

One of the biggest -- both literally and figuratively -- challenges the Cowboys will face this weekend is New England defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. The 6-foot-2, 325-pound defensive force is one of the league's most dominant nose tackles. One player who doesn't seem intimidated is the man who will be going head-to-head with Wilfork, though -- Cowboys center Phil Costa.

Costa fielded a question about Wilfork on his verified Twitter account last night and didn't show any signs of fear. When asked "You ready for Wolfork big guy? He's a mountain. Good luck on Sunday Phil," the Cowboys' starting center responded with the following: appreciate it...of course im ready hes more like a speed bump than a mtn...#cowboys are ready to roll!
    You can follow Costa on Twitter at @philcosta67.
    HT: *********.com

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews....costa-patr.html

I know some people will be mad by his statement but I love a confident offensive line. You don't back down from a challenge. If he can block suh then he should do ok vs big wilfork (even though he is a bigger player).
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Phil you better be ready for that "speed bump" come Sunday because he's going to bring it... SMH
  3. MackNorth

MackNorth Member

164 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I realize that it's great to have some self confidence going into a game vs the top team in the last 10 years, you should really show a little humbleness there Phil. Two games removed from 4 terrible snaps and you're chirping about a defensive stalwart such as Wilfork? May the force be with you this Sunday Phil, you're gonna need it bud....
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,099 Messages
    976 Likes Received
    I hope this wasn't actually him typing that.

Seriously?

Did you so soon forget about your multiple brain farts two weeks ago?

I'll try to keep thinking that it's not him typing that.
  5. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,036 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    whats he supposed to say you play humble people say duh of course, your outmatched, if he says im out matched and i just hope my qb dont get killed, people scream bloody murder.

hes off the field right now and Vince isnt staring him in the face, come game time he'll be humble and scared.
  6. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Im pretty sure suh is better than wilfork overall...tyron will help.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,470 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    So this is real? He really said this?
  8. Romo_To_Dez

Romo_To_Dez New Member

1,941 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Costa better protect Romo and not snap the ball ten feet away from Romo's hands.
  9. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Costa should be feeling even more skittish based on Wilfork’s response. According to Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, Wilfork was informed of Costa’s comments earlier today.

“That’s fine,” Wilfork said. “I play on Sundays. I’m not a media guy, getting back and forth. I’ll be there Sunday. He can tell me that then. I don’t care about all that stuff.”

We’ve got a feeling Wilfork cares. But he’s not going to say he cares. But he’s going to show he cares.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/14/vince-wilfork-responds-to-phil-costa/
  10. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Apparently the comment was made by his publicist. She stated that she didn't intend it to be derogatory. With a publicist like that... :confused: The account has since been closed.

If he can keep Wilfork from being a game changer, heck, I'll add him to a sig showing offensive players. He can be right there with Tony, Dez, Witten and Austin.

All he has to do is earn it on Sunday. I'm pulling for him. I'll bet Tony is too! ;)
  11. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,034 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Wilfork is arguably the best in the league at his position. Wilfork is going to bring it on Sunday regardless of what Costa or his "publicist" says. Let's hope Costa is ready.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,946 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    He has a publicist? My respect for him just took a downturn.
  13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I read this earlier in the week. This is how it went down.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No, the best in the league is Raji in GB. I'd put Wilfork #2, Hampton #3, Rat #4 and Garay #5.
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I thought publicists were supposed to be diplomatic instead of inflammatory (at least for footbal players).
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like how you just totally forget about our guy Jay Ratliff.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,323 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    Yeah, they make stupid comments, too.

Remember T.O.'s publicist w/the $20m reasons to live comment?
  18. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,034 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Notice I said arguably the best. You ranking him #2 pretty much is in agreement with my statement.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No I didn't - I put him #4. You need to get your eyes checked.
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I agree that he is good but Raji is in a different league than everyone else.