1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys considering moving Doug Free inside

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,016 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are considering using Free at guard after he starting at left or right tackle over the last four seasons.

“We’re looking at it,” Jones said. “We’re going to un-turn every stone to get better. I wouldn’t rule him out at tackle either. He’s a pretty versatile guy. He’s smart.”
    He led the NFL in penalties in 2012 with eight false starts and seven holding flags, but he played what Jones called “his best ball of the year,” after moving to a platoon with Jermey Parnell.

Could a full-season rotation work?

“No one has ever done it but it didn’t mean you can’t,” Jones said. “But I think at some point someone would win the job.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705986/cowboys-consider-doug-free-position-switch
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,226 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    I'd really like for us to keep Free at a reduced pay.

He's a guy who can play at a high level. He's clearly got something wrong - maybe a sports psychologist can fix him. What I saw last year was a guy who would make a mistake and then have the game spiral out of control for him. That could be a confidence issue
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Interesting.

While I don't think he is strong enough to play the position, this is the time of the year where you try things you wouldn't normally try during the season.

Note to Free, when they start moving you around and benching you, don't buy a house. Question has to be is he better than Berny at guard.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,638 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    Not strong enough.

Sorry, not amount of salesmanship will ever convince me that Doug Free is strong enough to be a starter. He gets beat one on one every game by inferior pass rushers. Because EVERYONE knows his weakness.

You don't have to 'salvage' him because you gave him a stupid contract or because you want to use your draft picks on players who can star in commercials. Admit the mistake and move on.
  5. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Maybe not going to McDonald's anymore would help him.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,855 Messages
    3,336 Likes Received
    Free doesn't have the build to play guard. I wonder if this is just spin to justify that contract he got.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Free is too tall and not powerful enough to play guard.

I'll laugh if he's moved inside.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,295 Messages
    1,497 Likes Received
    Wow we truly are clueless aren't we?
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,269 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    He should have bought a house (or two) when he signed that contract and got a bonus. Dallas area (and the rest of TX) real estate is quite a deal compared to other major cities.

He'll be a better OT than a OG.
  10. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,362 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Hmmm let's see... he got physically abused by Ends on bullrushes so we're going to kick him inside where he'll face tackles? Sounds good.

:rolleyes:
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,619 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    I was hoping they meant inside the locker room. :(
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,067 Messages
    3,748 Likes Received
    Some of it could be mental, but Free's biggest issue is high upper body strength. He appears to have very weak shoulders. When pass-rushers get their hands/arms under his and just thrust upwards, he appears to have no ability to resist. He has tried changing his technique by keeping his hands lower, but this just causes other problems.

Justin Smith exposed this problem when the Cowboys played the 49ers early in the 2011 season. Pass-rushers have been exploiting it ever since.

Without good ability to use his arms, Free must keep his body in perfect position in order to block effectively.
  13. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah, everything is taken wayyy too seriously on CZ sometimes, so they are trying him there just like they tried Berny and Arkin at center. Or just like they have tried Carr at safety or wherever they plan on playing Crawford.

This is the time of year to try everything before you go randomly cutting people.
  14. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,505 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I think switching too guard at a reduced price would be ok, I'd sure like too see him pull and knock guys out like when he first came in
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    they should only consider this option if Free agrees to league min. salary
  16. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,640 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thinking this. Jerry doesn't want to eat that contract, if they release him.
  17. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,506 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I don't see him staying. Just him talking out his arse as usual. He'll be gone
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,813 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I will lose all faith in this organization winning anything before Jerry dies if Free is not released.
  19. Mookie

Mookie Active Member

256 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Wouldn't Smith make more sense at Guard? He does have an amazing build, strength and physique. He'd be the new Larry Allen.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,269 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    OG is the least important position on the OL, so no.

Now Doug Free is a horrible fit as a OG, he should be bull rushed to no end. Not a powerful guy.