1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys considering moving Doug Free inside

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    Where was that reported? I hadn't seen that.

I have seen Callahan state that JP is capable of starting at T in this league, so I know he sees ability in the player. But he's also publicly very supportive of Doug Free's effort in games and, especially, during the week.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I would think it is more likely Free will get released. Had the Cowboys known ahead of time he could be moved to the inside then I could see keeping him but it appears they are unsure if he can or can't and given his pay I don't think they can take the risk to find out.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,219 Messages
    5,459 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones is incapable of being embarassed.

He has never owned up to bad trades and contracts (see Williams, Roy) in the past and it is doubtful he will starting doing it now.
  4. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received

This. Jerry chases one bad mistake with another.

For example:
    Trading for Roy Williams is compounded by extending Roy Williams which is then compounded by continuing to play him when he perpetually sucked.

Mere stupidity isn't Jerry's style. He's got to wade into...deeply.
  5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received

You are right, he doubles down on stupidity.
  6. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Jerrys incapability to overcome himself is holding this team down and trying Free at Guard is probably a good example of what successful teams rarely have to resort to doing.

Painting the Dallas Cowboys into a corner is a common problem for Jerry Jones, we Fans are used to covering up pimples with scabs around here, it just doesn't fly around the rest of the league.
  7. Idgit

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    And...the Doug-Free-Moving-Position thread takes a sudden right turn to instead be a thread about Jerry Jones. :)
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,658 Messages
    5,813 Likes Received
    I would love to have another Forum for all Jerry related posts.
  9. Idgit

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    We call that the 'Fan Zone.' Or the 'News Zone.' We're working on getting more Jerry-related threads in the 'Off-topic Zone,' but Risen Star hasn't figured out a way to do it for us, yet.
  10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Who gave Doug Free 4 years 32 mil?

It's impossible for things to not 'turn into Jerry' threads - when the man has his fingerprint all over the entire franchise.

Socks to jocks, right?
  11. xwalker

13,658 Messages
    5,813 Likes Received
    I would seriously love it if all things Jerry were banned in the FanZone and forced into another forum.

I don't agree with many things that Jerry has done, but it just gets very tiresome hearing about it in every thread.
  12. xwalker

13,658 Messages
    5,813 Likes Received
    If cut, Free's contract will be a 2-year 17M contract (8.5M average). That's not that bad for a player that almost everyone thought was going to be a decent Left Tackle.
  13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Had we not already drafted Tyron Smith a couple months before the contract it would've made more sense.

Tampa Bay was interested in Free and drove up the price from what I understand.

You're right though, it's easy to bag on Free but most of us, almost all of us - were completely sold on him. Especially after how he played in the 2nd half of the 2009 season stepping in for Colombo. Almost seemed like a different player, perhaps having better guard play had something to do with it.

I'm not sure, Free has always been a hard worker and doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to pack it up after he got a big contract. Guys just don't forget how to play football, which is why I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet.
  14. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,219 Messages
    5,459 Likes Received
    So Doug Free switching positions as a last resort salvage move has absolutely nothing to do with the idea he is overpaid to begin with?

As for the tiresome portion, well the truth does hurt.
  15. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,170 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Unless it's "inside" another team, I'm not interested
  16. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I didn't want to lose Free and thought the signing was near perfect. Young bookend Ts for at least 4-5 years. Not many saw this rapid a decline coming. You're right that the 8.5m average isn't terrible, but the 8.3m in dead cap money is pretty brutal.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    Hope is free gone.
  18. xwalker

13,658 Messages
    5,813 Likes Received
    My theory is that the dead-money makes people feel like the contract was worse; however, the dead-money is all within the 2-year, 8.5M per year contract. It just happens that under the salary cap it looks like 4-years at 4.25M per year.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    It's one way to look at it. It was great that we got 2 years of a starting T for only a cap hit of 8m total. But when his play is so bad that you have to cut him after 2 years, the dead money hurts a lot more. Best case was that he was solid starter for years to come, who we could restructure this year to get some cap room.
  20. Idgit

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    Any Cowboys topic, literally, can be related to Jerry Jones given his role in the organization. That doesn't mean the guy has to be the black hole around which every single offseason thread should orbit.

I mean, he can be, I guess, if that's what you guys really want to talk about, but it seems like there are enough treads that have been sucked into that particular void. Here's a perfectly good topic about DF's fitness, or lack thereof, to play inside. Can't really blame people for preferring a bit of variety in their daily Cowboys fix.