1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys current DL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Mar 18, 2014.

1. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,833 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    There has been some speculation that Carter is bulking up a little and may be a pass rusher in the nickel package similar to Avril for the Seahawks. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
    Risen Star likes this.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,087 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    They must like something about Rayford's potential because they didn't waste time cutting lots of other DL. They had the rights to guys like Everrett Brown this season but let him go.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    I just worried he end up on IR all year again wasting money.
  4. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,849 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    I would think Melton would be as the 3 tech until we add more talent on the outside edges. Selvie is a good stop gap/rotational player and like his game. Crawford really doesn't have enough body of work to judge accurately.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    McClain was miscast in the 3-4. He is not a 3-4 NT.
    He's better than Hayden and has some upside in this scheme, imo. This guy has a burst but can anchor ok too for a DT1. He's only 25.
    I'd put him in as a JAG with upside at this point, but we'll know soon enough.
  6. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Josh Brent was not even mentioned 1 time by you nor anybody else in this 110 + post thread. And I see that Bozo has 7 posters liking him. Clowns love clowns.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,002 Messages
    5,037 Likes Received
    You belong in stand up. My sides are hurting.
    MichaelWinicki likes this.
  8. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

653 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    As far as Melton and Selvie go we sort of "know who they are" unles they fall off their cliff they should be good for a few sacks but no more than 6/7 a piece. and that was being hopeful. Crawford is the wildcard he could go for 2 or 10. He will be a nail bitter
    BigStar likes this.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,449 Messages
    3,015 Likes Received
    At this juncture I'm not expecting much more than a couple sacks per game.

However that doesn't mean the pass defense has to be as bad as last season.

One of the best defensive performances this team has mustered was in 2003, featuring a defensive line with folks like Willie Blade, which was deep into the 20's when it came to pass rush, but was yet one of the very best vs the pass (and run).
  10. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,378 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I agree, but I'm also concerned how much muscle can Carter gain without negating any of his speed, which is his best asset. Hopefully, Carter can bulk up without having a Felix Jones-like regression in speed.
    morasp and Kaiser like this.
  11. rwill784

rwill784 Active Member

110 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Don't......just don't.......
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    the only reason the D was so highly rated in 2003 was that we faced virtually no offenses that were high powered. When we did they got worked; Carolina ate us up pretty good. Outside of them we did not run up against many O's that were all that. Which was shown in 2004 when that same D got worked badly on many occasions. True we had lost Woody but pretty much everyone else was back.
  13. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    I keep seeing these comparisons of Barr to Ware. First of all I don't see it at all. Other than size they aren't the same player. Also note that Ware came into the league as a 3-4 OLB. When he was drafted Parcells commented that he didn't think Ware had the bulk to play with his hand on the ground as a 4-3 DE. He said he would get worn down too quickly.

Now, we only have one season's worth of footage with Ware as a 4-3 DE. That season was injury riddled and at the tail end of Ware's career so it would be hard to honestly gauge how Ware would fare throughout his career had he played that way the whole time but this one wasn't good at all. I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have the same numbers that he does if his whole career was spent as a 4-3. Hell the guy might even be out of the league by now. Who knows?
    Kaiser and dwight like this.
  14. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    We can't fix the entire d-line in one offseason, but I could live with this for one season

RDE- George Selvie, Jeremy Mincey
    DT- Henry Melton, Ben Bass
    DT- Terrell McClain, Nick Hayden
    LDE- Kony Early, Tyronne Crawford

This still leaves DE as a need next year, however, I think *if* Melton can rebound, he can be the answer at DT and outside of a few value picks sprinkled in between rounds 3-5 this year and next, we may be fine.
  15. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,833 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    That's always the question. I think he could be good at it.
  16. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,571 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I have a feeling that DL is NOT going to be the pick in round 1.
  17. dogunwo

5,571 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Michael Sam is going to be available much later than rounds 3-4. I am thinking 6-FA
  18. dogunwo

5,571 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Isnt that what happened to Bradie James?
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,087 Messages
    5,407 Likes Received
    No, Bradie James was always slow and got slow as he got older.