1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys' defense on pace for historic worsts under Kiffin

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,490 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    there is alot of blame to go around but none is bigger than Dallas having mind freeze at draft.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,130 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    Oh please explain.
  3. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,490 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Dallas took Escobar, Webb & Randle with solid DL prospects still on the board. It was complete miscalculation by Dallas.

Here is Kiper post-draft grade: Almost crystal-ballish:

Source Grade Comments
    ESPN (Kiper) C+ I'm pretty sure I described the Dallas draft as "a little all over the place" when I was asked about it midway through. But looking at all the picks together, I'll tell you it certainly improved in my eyes as we got into the later rounds. I was a little critical of the first-round pick, just because the Cowboys drafted a player I thought they could have taken at least 30 spots later. Travis Frederick was my 87th-ranked player. And yet they should get credit because he'll be a starter at a position where they were a total mess in 2013. Gavin Escobar is a good tight end and a great catcher of the football, and he can learn from Jason Witten, but Witten can still play. Similar story with Terrence Williams, an extremely productive wideout for Baylor, who offers depth with the potential to start. Now, those are players I like, but taking two pass-catchers without addressing safety or an aging defensive line seemed really odd to me. Then it got better. J.J. Wilcox has the potential to become a starter and was my No. 5-ranked safety. B.W. Webb is also a prospect at corner out of William & Mary. My concern with both of those picks is the jump in competition, so they'll need seasoning. Randle is a get at a need position late. The Cowboys made some good picks, but no help on the defensive line or depth at tackle out of this draft is disappointing. (Graded a B for filling needs and a C- for Value)
  4. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,658 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Surprisingly, Kiper's concern with the Cowboy's draft seem spot on.
  5. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

755 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I normally defend Jerry but I have no idea what he was thinking with Kiffin. His D was getting shredded before he went to college where it got completely demolished. I still have my hopes up but it's not looking good.
  6. beevomav

beevomav Active Member

274 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    That's because the Bucs-Tampa 2 had Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice rushing the passer.
    visionary likes this.
  7. beevomav

beevomav Active Member

274 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    20/20 hindsight..The defense would be much better with Ratliff, Spencer, Crawford and Ware playing instead of a bunch of no names. Hard to have an effective defense without a pass rush.
  8. beevomav

beevomav Active Member

274 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Last season the Cowboys defense was the worst in the history of the Cowboys. Rob Ryan was fired and moved on to the New Orleans Saints. He seems to be doing just fine. They are 4th ranked in scoring defense at 17 ppg..Last season they were 31st at 28 ppg..It time we recognized it's not the coaching, it's the players.

I think the Cowboys assembled a pretty good defense. Then in training camp Tyrone Crawford, who I believe was ready for a breakout year, tore his Achilles. Anthony Spencer goes down with a knee injury, followed by Ratliff's outright mutiny after a huge extension. Then a few games ago, DeMarcus Ware goes down. Ben Bass, another young guy, who was playing well injures his shoulder.

I know all teams have injuries, but name the other contending team that has their entire starting defense, aside from Hatcher, and a couple of high profile backups, gone for the year?
    TheCoolFan likes this.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Wouldn't go that far. We were far from good under Rob. Not as bad as we are now, but we still couldn't stop anybody when we had to. As for how he's doing now, this is the list of offenses and their rankings that NO has faced this year.

Atl 11th (yds), 15th (pts)
    TB 31st, 31st
    Ari 27th, 24th
    Mia 25th, 20th
    Chi 10th, 2nd
    NE 18th, 17th
    Buf 19th, 18th

With the exception of Chi, he hasn't faced a top 10 offense. Point being, I don't think he'd be doing any better with this D than Kiffin is. The excuse for Rob last year, was the injuries. Well, then Kiffin should get the same pass.
  10. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,970 Messages
    1,102 Likes Received
    and who should we point a finger at when the team is inconsistent from week to week.? I have my idea.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Players we could have drafted in rounds 2-5 (taken after the Escobar pick): *

John Jenkins 11 tackles, 0 sacks
    Margus Hunt 1 tackle, 0 sacks
    Jonathan Hankins 5 tackles, 0 sacks
    Bennie Logan 6 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jordan Hill 5 tackles, 0.5 sacks
    Brandon Williams 4 tackles, 1 sack
    Sam Montgomery 0 tackles, 0 sacks (released)
    Trevardo Williams 0 tackles, 0 sacks
    William Gholston 2 tackles, 0 sacks
    Mallicaih Goodman 5 tackles, 0 sacks
    John Simon 3 tackles, 0 sacks
    Jesse Williams 0 tackles, 0 sacks
    Montori Hughes 0 tackles, 0 sacks
    Quanteras Smith 0 tackles, 0 sacks
    Lavar Edwards 6 tackles, 0 sacks
    Stansley Maponga 0 tackles, 0 sacks
    Quinton Dial 1 tackle, 0 sacks
    Josh Boyd 0 tackles, 0 sacks

Players we've picked up: *

George Selvie 20 tackles, 5 sacks
    Nick Hayden 22 tackles, 0 sacks
    Drake Nevis 6 tackles, 0 sacks
    Jarius Wynn 2 tackles, 0 sacks
    Edgar Jones 5 tackles, 0 sacks
    Caesar Rayford 4 tackles, 0 sacks
    Jason Vega 1 tackle, 0 sacks
    David Carter 1 tackle, 0 sacks

All those "prospects" we could have had, aren't doing any more than the guys we picked up, and Selvie's better than all of them.

And the DL everyone said we should have taken in round 1: *

Sharif Floyd 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Decent production, but if we had taken him, you'd have to have a different avatar.

* per NFL.com
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,490 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    I think that was Kiper point...that is old group you just named outside of Crawford.
  13. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Can't be every DC, it is the HC.
  14. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    I respect the homework. The only argument I would give is drafting from this list doesn't prevent us from picking up the guys we picked up. Doesn't have to be a one or the other situation.