1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Draft Prospects: Would They Regret Drafting Dontari Poe?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 29, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,149 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    59 pounds. That's the difference between Dontari Poe, Memphis' freakishly athletic Nose Tackle product, and the Cowboys' current answer at the position: former All-Pro Jay Ratliff. Cowboys fans have long been clamoring for the addition of some beef to the defensive line, and, after impressing a national (international?) audience earlier this week, many believe Poe could be the answer. The Cowboys are selecting 14th in this year's draft, and, after disappointing ends to the last two, three sixteen seasons, can ill afford to miss. Poe, originally expected to be a late first- to early second-round pick, has seen his stock rise meteorically in the hours, and days, since.

In this year's draft, the only other notable behemoth is Washington's Alameda Ta'Amu. Poe, physically, blows him out of the water, which leaves his performance as somewhat of an outlier. Thus, I propose a comparison, to evaluate Poe alongside other, previously drafted, mountains. The first comparison player, and a name that's being invoked quite often when speaking of Poe, is Haloti Ngata. Ngata appears destined for the Hall of Fame, and plays every Sunday like he plans to rip the heads off of his opponents. The second player I've chosen is Paul Soliai, a stud Nose Tackle who has received very impressive PFF grades over the past few seasons. Of great interest is not only Soliai's similarity in size to Poe (within 2 pounds and half an inch), but also the fact that he is currently a free agent. The Cowboys, therefore, may opt to pursue the 28-year-old Soliai in free agency (although he won't come cheap--he's coming off of a $12M+ Franchise Tag season) rather than invest a first round pick in Poe. The decision they make will likely affect the franchise for years to come.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...spects-would-they-regret-drafting-dontari-poe
  2. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Poe is definitely a risk, but imo, you have to take that risk, given Poe's immense potential. When was the last time Dallas had a chance to draft a player like Poe?
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I would rather just sign the known factor in a 3-4 defense vs NFL OL Paul Soliai
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I really want soliai (and brandon Carr) then Nicks in no particular order please..
  5. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I think Nicks is about to be tagged. I think Brees will either sign a deal soon or the saints will match what ever any team offers him. YOu know Brees isn't going anywhere and doesn't want to.

I would rather sign Carr, Soliai, and resign Spencer and draft DeCastro if Nicks is tagged.
  6. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    agreed. If we were guranteed decastro in r1 i would as well just going to be a nervous 2 months till the draft :D
  7. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    if he isn't there are still some damn good OGs left. Glenn in a small trade back to 17 wouldn't be bad a #2 pick.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I heard from a friend of mine that's a Saints fan that it actually looks like Brees will be tagged.

It's just a fans view, but it's worth noting that a Saints fan hasn't heard much about a Brees' deal being forthcoming.
  9. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope Brees gets tagged, but you would have to think it is more likely for Nicks to leave than Brees. What are the odds that Brees leaves for, say, Miami?
  10. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about we quit drafting players based on "potential". :bang2:
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    When we drafted Dez Bryant instead of Terrence Cody.
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,436 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    Because they all are based on potential.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    At 14, you don't take risks.
  14. supercowboy8

5,234 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Even if he hits the market I dont see him signing anywhere else. He gets an offer form another team the Saints will match it.
    Brees loves NO with everthing he has done there and loves playing for Peyton.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Cody isn't like Poe.

I liked Cody as well, but people were too preoccupied with his man breasts. Now he's the starting NT for a team that may know a thing or two about running a 3-4 defense.

Who, Brees? He's not going anywhere.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You're right. Cody was actually an impact player in college for a major program. His stock wasn't completely dependent on his workout results.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I guess it depends on where you agenda is. At the time, there were plenty of detractors based on Cody's physical attributes. Now, there are a lot of detractors based on Poe's sack totals.

If you've got something against a guy, you can spin it however way you wish and end up sounding justified. Same thing if you're pro a guy.

We're just fans. None of us really has nearly enough insight to be as definitive as we tend to be.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Did the C-USA coaches have an agenda when they collectively decided Poe wasn't worth a 1st team Conference nomination?
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Most draftees are drafted on potential.
  20. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Bryant was considered a steal at 20, with the only red flags on him, being his immaturity. IIRC, Cody had red flags on him for his weight. I haven't read anywhere about Poe having weight problems like Cody. And having watched Poe at the combine, he looks in great shape, which was confirmed by his impressive combine showing.