1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys falling in love with Upshaw?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Jan 14, 2012.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    According to Broaddus, the Cowboys are falling in love with Upshaw and his versatility.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,664 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    When i watch him I see a solid guy, more solid than Spencer, but not a difference or play maker. 14 has to be a difference maker not an upgrade.
  3. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I like Hightower more than I like Upshaw. He's bigger, he's got far more experience as a leader/playcaller, and I think he may be just as good at rushing the passer.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,484 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    did you hear this on the radio?
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,908 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    spencer looked better in college then upshaw. Idk if he is in play at 14. Seems like a reach. He is a good all around guy but is not a beast rushing the passer. Basically he seems like another spencer. Just a rookie. Maybe he has a better motor. IDK.

But he is probably the most ready to play SOLB as a rookie.
  6. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I actually got it from a tweet from another former poster on here. Tim Macmahon verified it. I'll try to post the podcast later.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Well said.
  8. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Link please
  9. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yeah...............on January 14th.

And again, we have Upshaw, his name is Spencer.
  10. jblaze2004

8,908 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    wes bunting on upshaw

A physically imposing put together linebacker/defensive end hybrid who will stand up and play with his hand on the ground. Displays only average straight-line speed when asked to close from the backside. However, is quicker/more coordinated than fast in tight areas and gets up to speed quickly. Generates a lot of natural power on contact as a tackler. Is long armed, has a snap through his hips into contact and consistently exhibits the power to strike and wrap off his frame. Reads and reacts well in space, deciphers information quickly and doesn't take many false steps trying to find the ball.

He doesn't get much depth in his drop vs. the pass game. Is coordinated and keeps his feet under him, but is tighter in the hips and isn't going to hold up at the next level in space or man consistently.

Is extremely violent/powerful with his hands when attacking downhill. Consistently is able to take on blocks, disengage and make his way toward the football vs. both the run and pass game. Is at his best as a pass rusher standing up. Looks more sudden/shifty laterally off the ball from a two point stance and can win with power on his bull rush, with his hands or side step a block and fight through contact. Plays down in most nickel situations and when run at has the power to anchor at the point vs. SEC offensive tackles. Is violent/coordinated when asked to shed, has a good motor and can disengage consistently and make plays off his frame. Isn't as natural a pass rusher with his hand down at this stage. Is a bit inconsistent getting off the snap on time and is more of a power player only. Does a nice job sitting into his stance, keeping his base down off the football and generating leverage for himself vs. the bull rush. But doesn't do a great job suddenly changing directions and shedding when engaged. Loves to work the club/rip when trying to reach the corner both when down and standing up, can keep himself clean and works hard to close, but again displays only an average burst in pursuit.

Impression: I like him as a 34 outside backer who can play on the strong side, take on linemen at the point and also rush the passer. He's at his best attacking downhill, using his strong hands to disengage and always is around the football. Looks like a year one starter to me at the next level with scheme versatility.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=38714
  11. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,012 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Remember, Spencer played DE in college, NOT OLB. So, that's like comparing apples to oranges.
  12. jblaze2004

8,908 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    yeah but they both rush the passer. They both a basically on the LOS. Spencer was still better. Had more sacks and TFL.
  13. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not a fan of Upsahw @ 14. I would not pull the trigger but I see the logic if Spencer walks and DeCastro is gone.

I will say this. I think Upshaw and Ingram have a higher & more consistent motor than Spencer. For what it's worth, I would keep Spencer for 4-5 million/year.

And I think Ingram has more versatility. He's played DT, DE and OLB.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Jerruh has his smokescreen machine going early this year
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,641 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Yep to a certain extent.

The only difference is that I would consider one of the top corners at #14 also.

If the top corners are gone and DeCastro is gone, I'm looking to trade down.
  16. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    god i hope not, that would set us back immensly. The guy is AVERAGE
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,523 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    IDK, it depends on how everything plays out.

I agree with not taking Upshaw at 14.

I'd give serious consideration to Melvin Ingram or Brockers from LSU as both have potential to be impact front 7 defenders in a 3-4 defense.
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,523 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I'd consider him in the 2nd round but he is not worth a 1st rounder. He doesn't have enough burst to be an impact pass rusher and that is what you want in a first round OLB in a 3-4.
  19. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    melvin Ingram ...Please:D
  20. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Well, that depends.

How many legitimate potentially " difference play makers " are in this draft ?