1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys give undrafted free agent Magee bigger bonus than any 7th rounder last year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Apr 28, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,666 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys gave undrafted free agent linebacker Brandon Magee a $70,000 bonus to sign with them after this weekend's NFL Draft, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com.

As Florio points out, that number is higher than any 7th-round pick received in 2012 (Justin Anderson, the first pick in the 7th round last year, got $69,124 from the Colts). It's also significantly higher than the $10,000 bonus the Cowboys gave Tony Romo as an undrafted free agent in 2003.

Magee was one of 15 undrafted free agents the Cowboys came to terms with this weekend. He was also one of the 28 players the Cowboys brought to Valley Ranch for pre-draft interviews, which could explain why they were so eager to get him signed.

Magee was one of the captains of the Arizona State football team last year, totalling 113 tackles, 12.5 for loss, 6.5 sacks and 2 INTs as a senior.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...s-than-any-7th-rounder-received-last-year.ece
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,666 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Got to like his chances to make the 53
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,257 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I agree,he will fight it out with Hollowman.He may have been drafted but he had injuries issues(ACL and concussions) .
  4. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

930 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    They signed 15 players,and not a one of them are OL or DL.
  5. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Broaddus says he and the team really liked this kid. IMO the SAM is gonna be a hotly contested position in camp.
  6. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,442 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Are any of these LBs slatted to be DEs?
  7. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I'm not sure that we gave him that big of a bonus or guaranteed 70k of his 405k base salary.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I'm thinking he's a weak.
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Well hey, Jerry can only change so much. Actually addressing a need in the first round is about as far as he'll go, you don't ACTUALLY expect him to dole out a modest contract, do you?
  10. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I think a large chunk of it would have to be guaranteed money. I seem to remember last year the teams had a total of $70,000-80,000 in bonuses to split among ALL their udfa's. I'd expect the number would be about the same as last year. They'll probably do it like they did Leary's money last year.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Nfl limits signing bonus. That was a Jerry Jones rule. So Jerry gets around it for certain guys by guaranteeing the money. He did it last year to get Leary.
  12. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Right you are. I still believe my quote just not including him.