1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys have signed third-round pick J.J. Wilcox

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,302 Messages
    3,177 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 4m Cowboys have signed third-round pick J.J. Wilcox. That leaves just top two picks - Travis Frederick and Gavin Escobar left to sign.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,611 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    I wonder what the players get paid on a daily or weekly, monthly basis while not signed and participating in OTA's and whatnot?

:confused:
  3. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,335 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    good question.it is nice with the new system and having them all signed by camp
  4. 5Stars

25,611 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Adamjt could probably give us some of that info, but, it seems he stays away from here.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,603 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Somebody called in to NFL radio a week or two ago and asked that, and I want to say that Pat Kirwin told them about $1,000/month, or something like that. Might be completely off on that, though.
  6. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I think below NFL CBA applies to Rookies for last season.

NFL CBA, Article 21, Section 3: "Each player shall receive at least the following amounts per day for any workouts or classroom instruction in which he participates pursuant to a Club’s voluntary offseason workout program, provided the player fulfills the Club’s reasonable offseason workout requirements: $155 (2011–12 League Years)."
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,950 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    That seems low, although it could be correct for all I know... maybe $1000 per week? That seems more realistic.
  8. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Keeping in mind that the housing and meals are provided for by the team.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,919 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Cowboys Sign Another; Two Draft Choices Still Unsigned
    Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

[IMG]

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys have just two draft picks left to sign after locking up third-round pick J.J. Wilcox to a four-year deal on Wednesday.

The club will shift its focus to signing first-round pick Travis Frederick and second-rounder Gavin Escobar before the end of this week.

Wilcox, the 80th overall pick, is expected to compete for the starting safety position along with Matt Johnson and Will Allen.

Details of the contract were not revealed, but sources say the deal is very similar to the contract Cardinals cornerback Jamell Fleming signed last year as the 80th pick. Fleming got a four-year, $2.73 million with $586,000 guaranteed.

Rest of Article:
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Unsigned/fc838a73-a5e4-4c95-8e72-3ff5c7a5f4d5
  10. 5Stars

25,611 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Wow, that also seem kind of low, $155 per day, unless they get paid for a whole month then it would be something like $4,600 bones a month.

But, say if a player only has to get paid, say, for three days a week, $465, that is not even enough for a Hotel bill.

:confused:
  11. 5Stars

25,611 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Well, that would help...
  12. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    The team provides free housing and meals.
  13. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,295 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    My official pet cat can't wait for preseason.
  14. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Good move to get this deal done.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,941 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I think Wilcox and Johnson will battle for the other starting safety spot...
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,897 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Yes, Wilcox was my favorite of the draft picks. I liked him better than most of the higher rated Safeties. The coverage abilities that he showed at the Senior Bowl practices was outstanding.

I do really like the Frederick pick in terms of filling a huge need and I like all of the picks; however, I just think the upside with Wilcox is very high.