1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys headed 6-3 or 3-6, nothing in between

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Oct 11, 2012.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I believe we've arrived at the nexus of the season, this five-game gauntlet lying directly in our path.

And I think this season will take a dramatic uptick or downturn in the process. I just don't feel a 2-3 or 3-2 stretch coming. I think it'll be 1-4 or 4-1 coming out of the Philly game in five weeks. This team feels like it wants to implode or explode, one way or the other.

That makes it ultra critical for the Cowboys to find a way to beat the one NFL team it's never beaten in Baltimore on Sunday.

The Ravens aren't the Ravens anymore. Yes, they're good, but in an entirely different way. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are showing their age, the run defense is shaky, and the best pass rusher is out for the season most likely. The mighty Baltimore defense is there to be had.

On the contrary, the offensive is much more explosive, not relying on the run game nearly as much. Frankly, it can't with the defensive struggles.

The Cowboys MUST figure out a way to get this game, or I see a steep slide to 3-6, which would basically end the season in early November. Another game like the last three, and the finger-pointing and mailing-in will begin.

But back-to-back wins headed into the New York game could be the launching pad for the resurrection of this franchise we're waiting for (which I don't honestly think happens until 2013).
  2. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,817 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    In a 16 game season, every game is critical. Given the struggles the Ravens offense has been having lately coupled with their defenses inability to stop the run, makes this a very winnable game for the Cowboys. Having said that, at this point, I'm not very confident the Cowboys will win.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Imagine if Ray Lewis plays 17 years in the NFL and can leave saying he never lost to the Cowboys.
  4. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,994 Messages
    1,745 Likes Received
    If our offense shows signs of life this week, we will win the game. I have said it for a couple of weeks now, we will beat Baltimore. The offense can't get much worse so there is the probability of getting better. I just hope the defense doesn't collapse, we are just a couple of injuries away of disaster, especially in the secondary.

These next 5 games will set the tone for the remainder of the season. At worst, we have to come out at 2-3. Going into our next stretch at 4-5 is not as bad as it could be. We really need to win at home vs NY in a few weeks, we have to go at least 4-2 within the division. Those two losses are probably at Philly and the last game at Wash.

If we do go 1-4, we are pretty much done. They have to find a way to get at least two in these next five and the best chances are at home against NY and at Carolina. But I still think we win in Balt, so 3-2 is a real possibility IMO. I don't see winning in ATL or Phil, but we never know which team will show up.

When the nation, gamblers and media is saying we get blown out this Sunday, that is a recipe for a Cowboys win :)
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying, Dexter, but I think this thing is teetering on going north or south in a hurry. And yes, I include the north in that equation, too.
  6. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What if we actually play a good, clean, hard-fought game but still lose a really close one to a very good team in their house? Think there is any chance that would lead to them continuing to improve and not just implode because they lost?
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Sure, that would be encouraging, but what have you seen the last three weeks....

I think if we play a good, clean, hard-fought game....we win.
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,994 Messages
    1,745 Likes Received
    That would be real impressive if he played us every season, but as it stands now, he is only 3-0. I think those are the correct stats anyways, not far off if it isn't.
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yea, I would hope and think we would, too, but the Raven are good. We could lose while still playing well. Do you think the team still implodes if that happens? That's what I was wondering...
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    I believe people are right in that we will have a great season (12-4) or a terrible one (6-10). Either we blow it up in the offseason or people are talking about us repeating.
  11. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,885 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    well I see it a little differently. I think its either 7-2, or 6-3, or 5-4 or 4-5 or 3-6 or 2-7. I can't see us outside of that.

:laugh2:
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    No, you don't blow it up.

We already did that. Columbo, Gurode, Davis, Kosier, James, Brooking, Ball, Newman, Barber, Williams...

We need 4-5 more players, and this thing is ready to go for a while. Just not likely they can do it now.

The only chance is that Garrett can somehow scheme around that offensive line. He searching, but I'm not sure there's a way around it. Gonna take another offseason.
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Call me crazy, but I'll wait til we get that next win or loss before counting out 7-2 or 2-7.:D

But I agree with everything else you had to say.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,779 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    You haven't counted out 12 wins yet. :laugh2:
  15. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Problem is Romo will be 33 next season, Witten 31, Ware 30?. It's almost time for our 3 best players... (although I think Lee's better than Romo and Witten at this point.)
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,210 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received

Or that he got away with murder....:laugh2:...killing Romo in the backfield that is....

Bet ya'll was thinking I meant something else...:laugh2:
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    It is actually EXTREMELY likely Dallas is 4-5 or 5-4.

5-4 is actually a good result that sets them up reasonably well for the stretch run where there appear to be many winnable games.

In fact even 4-5 doesn't look too bad when you consider the rest of the season. They could easily go 6-1 in that final 7 games.

And if I were Garrett I'd preach two things right now.

1) Us against the world.
    2) fight and claw for everything now because we will perform well in that final month and we need it to be meaningful.
  18. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,541 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    If we lose this one Jerry will not be able to keep his mouth shut and will undermine any chance Garrett has of finishing strong.

If we lose this week, a top 10 pick is a given.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    i think you are failing to look at the actual schedule.

this team has 2 wins already. it needs about 4 more to insure drafting outside the top 10. 2-3 is hardly a death sentence.

while i agree this week is very big for momentum and confidence we are a long way from declaring it a one game season.

many of those teams the last month will be more interested in losing games and drafting high we will.

if we lose to bmore, which is very possible, we only need to beat carolina to be back at .500. not exactly impossible.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,779 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    They'll be done at 4-5 no way would they go 6-1 in their final 7 games with the schedule they have and their Dec history.