1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys LB Anthony Spencer continues hot play with 1.5 sacks in win over Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MissouriCowboy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    By Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com
    10:22 pm on December 16, 2012 | Permalink
    ARLINGTON – Linebacker Anthony Spencer had 1½ sacks Sunday to push his career-high season total to 10. DeMarcus Ware leads the Cowboys with 11½. Over the last six games, the Cowboys have 18 sacks and Ware has seven of those. No other Cowboys player has more than 2½ over that span.

This is the first season since 2007 – and the fifth in team history – that the Cowboys have had two players reach double digits in sacks (Ware 14 and Greg Ellis with 12½).

Spencer will be an unrestricted free agent for the second consecutive off-season. The Cowboys wanted to sign Spencer to a long-term contract last off-season but settled for placing their franchise tag on him that has him making $8.8 million this season.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...r-pittsburgh-to-give-him-10-this-season.html/

Spencer sack production going up is solid and he always been a solid run stopper.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I have been pleased by Spencer this season this has been his overall best season in Dallas. 10 sacks on the season and 2 big games coming up Cowboys need Spencer to keep up the play
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,235 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Franchise Tag and Trade.
  4. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Especially with Ware banged up. Dooms you guy used to post at ranch report btw?
  5. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    at times also Austin360
  6. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Hoping they can get a long term deal done as I did last season.
  7. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,305 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    Probably this. I don't see any other way. To sign him to what is shaping up to be a $10m/year contract is untenable. You'd have 1/6 of the entire cap tied up in a pair of 30+ year old OLBs.
  8. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,305 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    Price has gone up probably $3m/year since last season. Last year he could have been had for $6-7m/year. Now you are looking at $10m.
  9. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :D cool. I left that place after found this board. This board seems more logical and love the format.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,422 Messages
    6,477 Likes Received
    It's really a tough call at this point with the way he's playing.

I would still move on and get younger. Use that money for an OL or DL upgrade.
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,024 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I thought I saw a mean streak in Spencer last night. Refreshing.
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,856 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Can we franchise him again?

Honestly being a boilermaker I don't want to see Spencer leave but I can see how trading him for an early pick could be useful. However, with him and a healthy Lee/Carter we easily have one of the top linebacking cores in the league.

If we trade we get younger/cheaper though... We aren't going to be able to pay all of our LB's top dollar.
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,089 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    It's the toughest decision facing the team going into the offseason, regardless of what happens. We don't have any OLBs in a backup role that seem capable of doing what Spencer does. Butler is a nice role player and pressure player but he just doesn't have the same all-around game that Spencer provides. At the same time, we need help at Safety, DL and OL (in no particular order).

For me, it has more to do with capology. How can we structure his contract and restructure other contracts in a way so that you can have your cake and eat it to. The next best option is what others have suggested; sign & trade.
  14. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Until they sit down and talk contract I don't know what the offer will be.
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,412 Messages
    2,294 Likes Received
    Yes.

It's just at a higher rate than this season. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $11 mil.
  16. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,390 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Have to grant Spencer's real impact this year, I have detracted and rightfully so from him in the past, but he is putting it together on the field for us this year, and deserves recognition and respect for it. His age does make for a murky future though - as does our future defensive scheme. We go 4-3 and we no longer need him and he can go. We stay 3-4 someone has to play out there - just not sure him at 30 and $10+ million is tenable.
  17. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    Does Austin360 still exist?
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    The boys made NO attempt to negotiate or sign a deal during the offseason.
    They made no offer at all. As usual no fact check by the mediot.
  19. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,228 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    They need to keep him if at all possible. A 4 person LB unit of Ware, Spencer, Lee and Carter... Oh my!!!
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ware better watch out. Spencer has 6 1/2 sacks in the last five games. Spencer could end up leading the team in sacks considering how hot he is.

I read on Bob's blog that Spencer trails only JJ Watt and Aldon Smith in 4th Quarter sacks this season.

4th Quarter sacks are clutch.....and some people want to trade him. :lmao2: