1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Lead the League in Least Amount of Interceptions

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyskid29, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I'm not going to say the 3 man rush is always bad, you should always look for variety in schemes, and always rushing the same 4 guys makes it look too much like a 4-3 and decreases the advantage of running a 3-4.

Perhaps Ryan has been using it too much lately, especially in the 4th quarter where he has a tendency to get real conservative (something Browns fans complained about also before he came here).
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    I see way too many plays we have given up using the 3 man rush. Sure if we are up 2 or 3 scores late in the game then rush 3 but I think Ryan does it way too often and it allows the QB to sit there and the WR to find a seam to work in. I expect to rush 4 guys and on occasions send 5 to 6 on the rush but 3 man just has not been very good to us.
  3. Deep_Freeze

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well dropping an extra guy in coverage can throw off a QB occasionally, but I agree Ryan does it a lil too much, especially late in games.
  4. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. It doesnt matter how many guys you have in coverage when the Qb has pretty much ALL DAY to find someone open. Seriously, I think there are times when 10 seconds goes by before the QB throws it, and thats not because he is gonna get hit. Its because he has found an open man. It seems the other teams' o-lines would be able to keep those 3 guys away for minutes!!! - or forever!!
  5. Doomsday101

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    It can but Weeden was able to stand there, when Dallas rushed 4 guys he was having to get rid of the ball much quicker and not as effective. We did that vs NY were on a 3rd and 10 and ran 3 man rushes just to give up 12 yard passes and 1st downs. I like Ryan but hate the 3 man rush, it just does not rush especially now days since you can't touch a guy without getting flagged
  6. Doomsday101

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    5 on 3 is a losing battle up front.
  7. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,938 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    I think they have more dropped & dimissed (due to penalty) INTs than actual INTs.
  8. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Maybe but turnovers aren't a sure thing every week. The bears got taken apart by the niners.. there is some luck involved.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,648 Messages
    3,567 Likes Received
    if you expressed this opinion 5 months ago on this board you would have been ripped to pieces.
  10. Doomsday101

75,058 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received
    Why we are talking 3 man rush that is a bit different than sending 4 to 5 rushers. Any QB given enough time will find an open man. On the flip side Defensive front will tell you if a CB can give them a spilt second more by taking away the 1st or 2nd option on a pass rout the DL can get there to make the sack.

It is not one or the other, you need a rush but you better have good coverage as well.
  11. Deep_Freeze

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Never understood why both can't be seen, seems like around here we have to choose sides.

A combo of both coverage and pass rush makes for a good D, shouldn't be that hard to understand.
  12. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,082 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    when did last place become leading?
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Hey, c'mon. It makes for a better thread title when the last place is first place and first place is last place. We win at losing, Cajun. Get with the program!
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Put down the pipe, Humphrey.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Uh no. I don't know what games you've been watching. But it's not like we've been behind all the time. And rarely behind by much.

And on top of that we've had top 5 offense in recent years...playing with the lead...and still had the exact same issue: bottom of the league in INTs.
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I have to wonder if it's Jerry. I'm not joking. It *might* really start with him.

He may convey to the DCs and the secondary coaches that he doesn't like a high risk type approach.

Think about it. We are currently watching Rex Ryan rush only 3, 4 guys a lot of the time...And rarely is he bringing 5, 6.

Jerry may be pushing for defensive conservatism across the board.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,235 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    This is really not this hard of a problem to figure out guys, when you absolutely suck at rushing the passer, an NFL caliber QB is not going to throw picks.

Picks come from the QB being rushed, hit, hurried, ect.....very few NFL QBs with a clean pocket are going to be throwing the ball straight to a defender.

Thats why when you look at the top defensive units in the league, the one thing they can all do is rush the passer. Until we fix this problem, we are not going to get picks.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,917 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Lead the league in least amount of interceptions.............

Is that another way of saying "fewest"?
  19. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    So you need dominate players at every level of your D to create turnovers?

The following is a list of the players who started nearly all of the last eight games of 2010.

Igor Olshansky, Jay Ratcliff, Marcus Spears, Anthony Spencer, Brady James, Keith Brooking, DeMarcus Ware, Gerald Sensabaugh, Alan Ball, Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins

In those eight games the defense generated 20 turnovers.

Give me the names of all the dominant players on that group?
  20. THEHEREAFTER

THEHEREAFTER Active Member

2,370 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe it's our rush 3/drop 8/soft zone defense Rob Ryan seems to LOVE. Problem is opposing Qb's also love it.