1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys' moves create $23 million in space

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboysooner, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,327 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    Jerry said they could not offer what he would get on the open market. He did not say that Spencer was gone. Big difference.

Meaning, if you franchise the guy he never hits the open market.
  2. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,515 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Honestly is rather let spencer walk and release free and make other moves. Spencer isn't young and doesn't warrant a huge deal. We can pick up another free agent to replace him for cheaper
  3. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

376 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Ahh yes I'm reading about the rules for designation June 1 cuts, thanks...
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,860 Messages
    1,510 Likes Received
    No, they have not. Cherry picking quotes in the smokey season is fun though.
  5. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,931 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    Exactly - I don't know what it is Erod but I agree with just about every post you make.

Anyhow, there are two kinds of guys in sports - those who need a pat on the back and those who need a kick in the *** and Spencer has always needed a kick and even admitted dogging it a couple years ago.

Bottom line is you can't trust him with a long term deal. Franchise him and keep him guessing until he retires. It's his only motivator.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,552 Messages
    1,551 Likes Received
    If rather let Spencer walk and spend that money on Levitre, Bushrod, or Melton.

Then draft on the an o lineman or d lineman in the first round.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    they made these moves so that there would be no pressure to do a deal with Romo. Clearly that one is going to be a little tricky and you do not want a deadline there.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would prefer to tag Spencer for 1 more year, if possible.

But I understand was JJ was saying. If we don't tag Spencer, or if his asking price is too high and we extend him anyway, we could instead land a couple of other players in FA.

For example, maybe a guy like A Branch in FA from Seattle (just throwing a name out there) and an OG who could be a starter from Day 1.

So, we could potentially land 2 starters in FA if we don't extend/tag Spencer. That said, I think Spencer is really starting to come into his own, and I'd think twice before parting ways with an impact player.

But there are clearly two trains of thought here with respect to Spencer.
  9. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,057 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    i would franchise spencer. if the cowboys can keep spencer one more year it would help in the switch to the 4-3. maybe we can draft a defensive end in the middle rounds and get him or crawford another year of seasoning to take over the left defensive end spot. i think that spencer would be a good defensive end in a 4-3.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,626 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Heck yeah.....tag Spencer
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Last year for all his squawking about it Spencer had to love the tag since NO ONE would have offered him that kind of money.

THIS year he really would not like it because there is certainly some GM that will throw $10 million a year at him.

Now tag and trade is about the only reason we should do it.
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,974 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    holding onto spencer for another 10 mil...1 year deal?

Let him go
  13. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,692 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Spencer is a good LB and i'd love to keep him if we where still a 3-4 team, but i'm not sure he'd make a good DE pass rushing is not his strenght. I think it would be in everyone once best interest if we part ways
  14. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Tag and trade would be my route, that way we get something for him and the cap hit is gone.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,450 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    Cutting Free reduces our cap by 7 mil.

I don't think we can use the cap space until > Jun 1, so there's no benefit in cutting him before the draft and FA....from what I understand.
  16. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,412 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    If we cut Free prior June 1st we will save $4 mill against the cap 2013 and $9mill the following three years.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5011875&postcount=17
  17. TwentyOne

2,412 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Spencer didn't play at an elite level the last 2-3 years. You can give the argument last year he played at that level but at the same time someone could argue that he just looked so well because he was surrounded by backups most of the time. Shame on him if he hadn't looked good in that kind of environment.

I really doubt he'll get 9-10 mill/a. That's Mario Williams kind of money and he's a proven DE. Spencer played OLB at the NFL level and had basically one really great year. Anyways ... Handling the Spencer situation is a tricky one i have to admit.
  18. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Mario got very nearly 100mm. He got around 16 mm per year with 50 mm guaranteed. Spencer is making a huge number of tackles and tfl and is a very productive guy. Spencer will get at least a woodly deal.
  19. TwentyOne

2,412 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    That's not true.

Mario Williams salary was aprox $9 mills in 2012 and will be arround $11mills in 2013.

It will climb to $17mills in 2014 but i think they will rework that deal once 2014 comes by. Just because the Salary cap will stay constant throu 2014.

His guranteed money wasn't 50mills. He got a signing bonus of $19mills Dollars. Everything else is not guaranteed. In fact he has alot of options and workout bonuses in his contract.

You can't compare tackling numbers of an 3-4 OLB and an 4-3 DE. Usually 4-3 DE get payed when they are great pass rusher but strong against the run also. Later is the reason why Williams gets that kind of money
  20. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Cutting Free now would clear almost 3m, after June 1st another 4m would kick-in. Cutting Connor would free up 3m and Spears 2m. Add that to the 4m already under the cap and that's 12m.

That's enough to tag Spencer, but not by much. Romo would have to be extended to make any other moves when FA starts OR Spencer would have to be re-signed or traded in the week between March 5th and March 12th. Unfortunately it seems like too many moving parts. If they haven't signed Spencer to a new deal by now they probably never will.