1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys must Win Division or Bust!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rwalters31, Nov 13, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,388 Messages
    1,885 Likes Received
    Cannibalism at it's finest.

To me, Seattle is the main obstacle. That tie-breaker is killer. I see them going 10-6 or 9-7. So it looks like winning the division has better odds for us.
    They will be favored at home for all games--even against SF. The road games are at Miami (long trip, so tough), at Chicago (but missing Cutler), at Buffalo. They already have 6 wins, so 10 wins are very doable.

Tampa Bay will probably go 9-7 or 8-8. They would have to win their homes games then win at either, New Orleans, Denver or Atlanta to make it interesting.

Minnesota looks like 9-7 or 8-8 team to me, but being at 6-4 right now sure helps.

Our head-to-head game vs New Orleans could be huge. We're in similar situations, each with 3 very tough games ahead of us. But their overall schedule is a bit worse.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,388 Messages
    1,885 Likes Received
    Yeah, our schedule is better for sure.
    I just saw the latest NFL.com rankings.
    All 5 of our losses are to teams in the top 11...and 3 in the top 5.
    Things do get more managebale going forward.

One key to that list you posted, as you know, is that it would only really be apples-apples if we all had the same record.
    THREE of those teams have won TWO more games than we have. And another has won one more game.

So remove the two easiest games from our slate going forward, take an average of the remaining team records, and then you have a true measure.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Look at it in terms of how many more games we've lost than each of those teams.

Lions (71%) - 5 losses
    Vikings (69%) - 4 losses
    Cardinals (59%) - 5 losses
    Packers (57%) - 3 losses
    Saints (55%) - 5 losses
    Buccaneers (54%) - 4 losses
    Seahawks (49%) - 4 losses

Only 4 teams in the race have fewer losses than us, and 3 of those 4 teams have only 1 fewer loss. Now add on top of it that they most of those teams play each other. Someone has to lose those games, so there are built in losses.

Oddly enough, we're right in the mix.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    True, I was thinking the same thing about the saints. Right now it is just talk because unless the Cowboys can get out of their own way for a change that game will not mean anything.
  5. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I think you need 10-6 to get in as a wild card - that is pretty much the standard. I think history shows 10-6 teams usually get in.

That said, 10-6 will win the division as well and at the current rate 9-7 might win it!
  6. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,861 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    I think it's going to depend on how the Giants play after their bye. They usually play well in December and we usually play really bad.

Giants do seem little different though this year. Their defense doesn't look as good and look little "old". I think Osi and Tuck is on a decline and their secondary is bad.

Their defense usually carried them late in the season when Eli was playing bad. I'm not sure if they can do that this year.

I think we are going to be the same team we've been in the past. We'll most likely go 8-8. Maybe with some luck (key injuries to other teams) we may be able to go 9-7.
  7. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Can we please just try to win 2 games in a row...
  8. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Remember last year when we thought Arizona was going to be a win down the stretch. 1 game at a time.
  9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    This season is very likely going to be a repeat of last year. Cowboys need the Giants to go on a losing streak while the Cowboys put together a winning streak of their own that puts Dallas in the driver's seat for the division title. And just like last year, it may all come down to the season finale on the road against a bitter rival - this time against the Redskins at FedEx, not the Giants at MetLife. (Not that the Redskins would be in position to make the playoffs, but rather, that the Cowboys would likely need to win at FedEx in order to get that NFC East title.)
  10. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    They could do a lot of things. Mathematically they could go 11 and 5 and write their own ticket. It looked bleak at 3 and 5. It looks like we have more life at 4 and 5. If we beat the Browns and get to 5 and 5, we don't look so much like a wounded duck.

If we beat the teams we are easily capable of beating, we can easily get in the playoffs. If we were 4 and 5 with the toughest part of our schedule coming up, it would LOOK a lot different than where we currently stand ....with a weaker schedule coming up and a majority of the games at home.

If we beat the Browns, the mentality of this board will shift and if we win the following week, posters will be evaluating the odds of getting a home game in the playoffs. That's what makes the NFL fun.
  11. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    True, but what does a post on a message board have to do with winning or losing a game?
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,721 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Remember when everyone thought the Giants were done for after 5 straight losses?
  13. TOCowboy

TOCowboy New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I worked it through guys, we're fine:

Cowboys df Browns
    Redskins df Eagles
    Giants bye

Cowboys df Redskins
    Packers df Giants
    Eagles df Panthers

Cowboys df Eagles
    Giants df Redskins

Ravens df Redskins
    Cowboys df Bengals
    Saints df Giants
    Bucs df Eagles

Eagles df Bengals
    Redskins df Browns
    Falcons df Giants
    Steelers df Cowboys

Giants df Ravens
    Saints df Cowboys
    Redskins df Eagles

Cowboys df Redskins
    Giants df Eagles

Final Division Standings:
    Cowboys 9-7
    Giants 9-7
    Redskins 6-10
    Eagles 5-11

Cowboys div record: 5-1
    Giants div record: 4-2

Cowboys win tiebreak and the division
  14. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,315 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    exactly, WE DON'T PLAY THE GAME, we can look ahead and it won't affect a thing.
  15. rwalters31

rwalters31 Member

429 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Good points made in this thread. Even though I started the thread, it is not an endorsement that the Cowboys will be the Division Champs. Right now the Giants are sitting on the thrown and waiting to be crowned. The Bishop has the crown in his hand and turning to put it on the Giants. The Cowboys are the only team in the Division that can stop the crowning. The Cowboys will have to fight their way into the chamber to stop it.:eek::

Giants chance of to be Division Champions . . . . . . . . 75%
    Cowboys chance of being Division Champs . . . . . . . . 25%

Things can change now but the plants need to be in alignment, the Pope has to bless the Cowboys, the Jerry has to chance his ways, etc.:( :eek:
  16. rwalters31

rwalters31 Member

429 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Some corrections that did not happen when I tried earlier:

Giants chance to be Division Champions . . . . . . . . . . 75%
    Cowboys chance of becoming Division Champions . . . . 25%

Things can change in our favor, however, the planets need to be in alignment, the Pope has to bless the Cowboys, and Jerry Jones has to change his ways, etc.:( :eek:
  17. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,571 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Check with Sam I Am about the planets, the Pope is just a man, he can't bless anybody, and you can forget about #3.
  18. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,086 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Cowboys win the next 2 and the chances go to 50/50
  19. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,116 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Seattle's schedule is easy, the dolphins,bills, cardinals, and rams all blow, and they almost beat san fran in san fran, no question they can beat them at home.
  20. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

685 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I love your pessimism really.

With that remaining schedule, you should go at least 9-7.

Things aren't looking good for us right now. Osi and Tuck aren't the same players. Our secondary can't cover anybody. Pass rush is non-existent. Cruz has a lot of tape on him so he won't repeat what he did in 2011 for us. Nicks is banged up. Our schedule is brutal. Eli is not himself this season either.

At this point, I would be surprised if Giants finish better than 9-7

Most likely both teams will be at 9-7 and Dallas will win the division.

I hate to say it but Big Blue won't be in the play offs this year.