1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys name TE's coach and assistant OL coach....

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 5, 2013.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,348 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Oakland changed offensive schemes this offseason, firing the offensive coordinator and Pollack because the Raiders had trouble adjusting to the zone-blocking scheme.

Don't know if that means he's not a good teacher, the coordinator failed or not enough time was given for the transition.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    Maybe it means Callahan is the play caller.

Or maybe after moving Wes Phillips to TEs they just wanted to replace him. We had an assistant OL coach last year and Callahan wasn't calling the plays.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Well, Callahan is clearly comfortable with this hire. Not to mention he coached him in college . . . .
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,348 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    I know, but the Phillips position always seemed like it wasn't really necessary, just a way to keep him on staff. I wouldn't have expected Dallas to go out of its way to replace him since it has a line coach. ... Of course, since Callahan knows Pollack, maybe he just wanted to help him be employed ... or maybe he does like having an assistant.

I haven't bought into Callahan calling plays yet, but this move would certainly make it easier, if that's the way Dallas goes.
  5. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And here's more:

Pollack was Oakland’s offensive line coach in 2012 and played for Callahan at Northern Arizona. From 2007-11, he was the assistant offensive line coach for Houston, and he had a nine-year career as a player, including two stints with San Francisco (1990-91, 1994-98) and a two-year run in Denver (1992-93).

All of Pollack's experiences with San Fran, Houston and Denver were all WCOs I believe. And if he worked with Gregg Knapp in Oakland, chances are there were West Coast zone blocking concepts sprinkled in at the very least.
  6. Risen Star

21,901 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    I think Callahan will call plays. I'm just saying I don't think this move seals it.

I agree they made a position for Phillips to groom him but I also think, despite what some claim, Callahan did have more to do during the week as the OC last year and had to rely more on his assistant to pick up the slack. So that probably created a void that needed to be filled once they decided to move Phillips.

Of course I'm just guessing.
  7. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,494 Messages
    198 Likes Received
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, makes me wonder if we are going full ZBS. And running Callahan's offense instead of just having Callahan call plays from Garrett's playbook.

Seems like a big mess. Who knows what's really going on behind the scenes.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Let's hope that is what the plan is, Cally calling "his" plays, not Garrett's.

It make sense to bring on somebody familiar with his scheme. I wouldn't be surprised if the new running back coach isn't a disciple of him in some way as well. But who really knows.

If it were me I would want Cally to call his plays that he knows, etc. Garrett stands to lose a lot if Cally calls JG's plays and next year we are top 5 in scoring, and offense.
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I would be shocked if Callahan isn't using the already established terminology of the Coryell system that Romo and the rest of the players have been using since 2006. It would be pretty phenomenally stupid to make 24-28 players on offense learn new terminology rather than just have Callahan learn to playcall in it.
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    This makes NO sense! What happens when teams fire coaches and bring in new blood. Do they call the plays that they are use to?

Our defense has been in the 3-4 for the same amount of time and they are changing.
  12. Risen Star

21,901 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    I'm on record saying it's a mistake. Bill Callahan is not, in any way, a superior offensive mind to Garrett. Shifting the offense to Callahan doesn't address the issues on offense. It only makes it worse, IMO.
  13. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,623 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    Why would you make such a bold statement?

What do you have to back that up?

Btw, I'm shocked by this move. Been searching all night for a connection to Gruden :confused:
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,529 Messages
    722 Likes Received

Callahan has already said that he is quite familiar with the Coryell number system and is comfortable with it because Brian Schottenheimer used it when he was with the Jets.

I think some people are confusing the idea that Callahan calling plays means that he will switch this offense to his WCO from his Raiders days.

Not only does it not make any sense at all, but Callahan's offense from the Raiders is actually Jon Gruden's playbook.

If we were going to go to a WCO why not just hire Jon Gruden and be done with it already?

The other argument I have is why would you want to completely change the entire offense at this point in Romo's career?

The Ravens won the SB with the Coryell so it really isn't a system/scheme issue isn't it?
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,639 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    the defense will have to learn entirely different scheme. Maybe it will be good that everything is being revamped on offense and defense.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It makes perfect sense. The Cowboys don't believe the system is the problem, which makes sense given that the Ravens just won the Superbowl with it. They believe they need to take things off Garrett's plate and let him be a "walk around" executive head coach, like 90% of other coaches in the league are.

What makes no sense is to completely ditch your offensive system you've spent 6 years in and go through a transition year a new offensive coordinator who is playing head coach who is playing for his job next year when you have a 33 year old QB, and then go through the same exact process next year when the offensive inevitably goes through growing pains and then put the team through another transition year. This is how you become the Cleveland Browns.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'm of the belief that NFL offenses are largely homogenous, and 85% of the playbooks are the exact same plays called under the 3 different maor playcalling terminologies. The nuances between offenses come from the natural intuation/creativity of the man behind the steering wheel and (naturally) the talent level between the players. I just want Callahan to be comfortable enough with the terminology to adequately call his natural gut feel for the game.
  18. Risen Star

21,901 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    It's my opinion. Callahan has never impressed me as anything other than an OL coach. I don't think he's going to have any answers for no offensive line talent. The issue isn't play calling. That's a fan crutch.
  19. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I'm with you. Systems are changed all the time and players deal with it. These guys are professionals and have all day all spring and summer to learn the new terminology.

And in almost every case, if the previous system were so successful, the team wouldn't be making a change to begin with. This is hardly a Barry Switzer 1994 scenario where you don't want to change a juggernaut. Our O has been the picture of mediocrity the last few years anyway.

Personally, I think it would be good to put in a new system and give everyone a fresh look at things. Change can be a positive, especially if things have gone stale.

Though actually, I'm sure it will be Callahan who has to adapt. But that doesn't mean it's the best way to do things.