1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Need To Draft O-line Due To Ryan's Defense...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by natesboys051, Feb 19, 2011.

1. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rob Ryan will FIX the defense and get additional players to FIT his scheme. We may even get Shaun Rogers to play NT and one or two other defensive players that Cleveland CUT recently. One or more could provide the necessary DEPTH for our defense at NT, ILB and other key defensive position lacking depth (and experience) at the moment.

Jerrah needs to address the OL in the early rounds in this year's draft due to our (unusual) drafting position of picking 9th in each round. Our 90's team had the BEST OL in the NFL and our D-Line had the best DEPTH and rotation as well. We NEED to get more younger and explosive at the Guard and Center position and draft the BPA OT in Rd 1. If we draft and upgrade our TALENT base in the OL THIS YEAR, we'll be a VERY DANGEROUS TEAM COME THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Hopefully, Jerrah will get us a BIG RB or two to help wear down teams and then HIT them with the BIG STRIKE to Dez or Miles going deep. This new strategy will also keep our DEFENSE more fresher and with Rob Ryan's scheme, I expect alot more turnovers (i.e. picks & fumbles) and more 3 and out by opposing offenses.

That being said, we'll need to ensure we have a PLAN in place to help our aging OL sustain the added minutes on the field due to Rob Ryan's defense getting it done (i.e. PLAN would be to draft young explosive OL talent who could step right in due to injuries and/or our older non-explosive O-lineman NOT getting it done like last year). So, we definitely NEED to get BIG and NASTY and YOUNG on the OL with a couple of BIG RBs to wear down opposing defenses and stay on the field LONGER (due to Ryan's defense giving our Offense additional minutes per game with turnovers and better 3rd down stops).

Trust me, NOBODY will want to FACE the Cowboys if we have a nasty OL with big RB's, big WR's, and Rob Ryan leading our defensive unit (especially is we're able to sign Shaun Rogers and rotate him with Ratliff at the NT position) and get more of Cleveland's recently CUT defensive players for depth (i.e. I hear they were slightly older and making TOO MUCH money for Cleveland's small market).
    :bow:
  2. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My Mock DRAFT:

Rd 1: Tyson Smith OT (6'6" 310lbs) or other BPA OT
    Rd 2: B. Ijalana OG (6'4" 320lbs) or other stud OG
    Rd 3: Jerrell Powe NT (6'2" 338lbs) or BPA at CENTER
    Rd 4: Curtis Brown CB (6'1" 194lbs, 4.36-4.44 40yd)
    Rd 5: John Clay RB Wisconsin (6'1" 260lbs) or BPA BIG Fullback
    Rd 6: Teejay Johnson FS (6'1"194lbs)...started 36 games at FS for best overall defense in nation (TCU) for 3 consecutive years.....coverage safety mostly with their plethora of defensive athletes in the front seven.
    Rd 7: BPA RB...there will be several BIG RB's available
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Maybe you didn't read where Ryan said that Rat is not changing positions.
  4. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I read that tidbit, too.....that's WHY the poster said Ratliff could rotate with Shaun Rogers at NT. Not sure what you're reading my man.

But, I like his thought process. Let Ryan fix the DEFENSE (who'll get Jerry to upgrade at ILB, NT, and FS....at the minimum). I also like the idea of drafting BIGS in the early rounds and big running backs like the Giants, Ravens, Packers, and other elite teams have on their roster. Heck, with a big young OL, big RBs, and big WRs on Offense, we'll finally have the balance that we've been lacking for the past 10 yrs. And with Ryan's tweaks to the Defense (i.e. different looks and schemes every game) plus adding defensive talent and depth at key positions, we could turn this time around next year.
    :bow:
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I really like that mock. You have two offensive linemen who can win at the point of attack, get a good push, get to the second level, and get
    Felix Jones to the edge and in space. That is your right side for the next 12 years. If you could nab Jason Pinkston in round 3, that would be your LG. That would give you three players who could help Felix Jones. You have converted OTs playing guard, and they are big, strong, and athletic.

Curtis Brown is a guy I'm tracking, too.
  6. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,120 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He would be a very good rotational player IMO. Ratliff is undersized, so we should try and limit his snaps to make him most effective, and keep him from wearing down. Shaun Rogers would be the perfect compliment to him. Ratliff could still get the majority of the snaps, and Rogers would get enough to maximize his effectiveness.

This would depend on Rogers not taking a large contract. Otherwise he wouldn't be worth it.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,254 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    I like Smith -- but he's not a #9 pick. None of the OTs are. Our scouting consistently places a low value on OT, we simply are not going to reach for one.
  8. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Yes he did say that fort but it will not surprise me if they draft a NT in the later rounds of the draft.
  9. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Umm, refer to the post, my man. I quoted what I was reading. Maybe if I drew you a picture. Shain Rogers ain't gonna come in here to give Ratliff a breather now and then.

Everyone pretends like this is Madden.
  10. romo_19_55

romo_19_55 New Member

53 Messages
    0 Likes Received

[/quote](especially is we're able to sign Shaun Rogers and rotate him with Ratliff at the NT position) [/quote]

Bottom line....no one really knows WHO the Boys will be able to sign as backup. If S. Rogers is smart, he would sign with the Boys and maximize his career by sharing minutes with Ratliff and playing for a coach that appreciates his physical abilities and talent to stuff the run and occupy two blockers plus rush the passer when the opportunity presents itself, i.e. he's in the game on 1st and 2nd down and the opposing Offense (QB) attempts to pass to catch the Boys in a 'Run defense'.
  11. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    (especially is we're able to sign Shaun Rogers and rotate him with Ratliff at the NT position) [/quote]

Bottom line....no one really knows WHO the Boys will be able to sign as backup. If S. Rogers is smart, he would sign with the Boys and maximize his career by sharing minutes with Ratliff and playing for a coach that appreciates his physical abilities and talent to stuff the run and occupy two blockers plus rush the passer when the opportunity presents itself, i.e. he's in the game on 1st and 2nd down and the opposing Offense (QB) attempts to pass to catch the Boys in a 'Run defense'.[/quote]

Draft Nick Fairly and sign Shaun Rogers to a 1 year deal with multi-year option with Brent playing End and Tackle.