1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Cowboys next move? Sign three low-salaried defensive players

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 11, 2014.

1. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

2,219 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I am, scared to death tbh.
  2. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,833 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    They're probably filling Hatchers spot as well.
  3. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

862 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    So u willing to give two firsts and more for him?
  4. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

913 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Here is another note for Jerry and McClay. Billy Bean and the Oakland A's haven't won squat. Just might want to note that. And It's nice to know we are adopting a philosophy of a small market team just so they can stay competitive.
    17yearsandcounting likes this.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind signing some older guys or lesser known guys on one-year deals. That way we get some kind of production this year but still have money to sign players next year. I think our goal is to change the way we do business, but at the same time we still want to see if we could win one with Romo. We're already rebuilding the O-line for the future. We have some great WRs for the future. We're trying to transition from when Witten retires. The defense is pretty awful but we'll probably start to address that now that the future of our offense is looking pretty good. Our goal is to build through the draft and free up all the salary cap from all the bad contracts we've made in the past. We've been ridding ourselves of aging players for years now. It started about 3-4 years ago when we got rid of guys like Gurode, Davis, Kosier and Colombo. Our O-line struggled big time for a few years but now it looks to be an area of strength for the next 10 years. It looks like we're doing the same thing with the D-line. Our starting D-line going into last season was Ware-Ratliff-Hatcher-Spencer. Now it looks like none of those guys will be on the roster this year. Our D-line will probably struggle big time, but in 2-3 years it might be a position of strength.

I don't know what people want. It seems like nobody is ever satisfied. We got rid of Ware and it looks like we're trying to transition to a young D-line. We'll see if we draft D-line early and often the next few years like we've been doing with O-line the last 3 years. Sure, it sucks parting ways with a guy like Ware, but it's necessary. Now we have enough money to sign 2-3 guys. The stupid thing to do would be to commit the money we saved on Ware to sign a few JAGs to long-term contracts. But the smart thing to do would be to lock up a few guys on one-year deals. That way we can at least stay competitive this year and still be able to free up salary space next year. I wouldn't be mad with something like Jared Allen and Justin Tuck on one-year deals. We can't expect our rookies to come in and play at an All-Pro level. As of now, the only decent DE we have is Selvie, who was a nobody 9 months ago. Give me Selvie, two vets on one-year deals, and two high-round rookies and I'll be happy with the state of the D-line. We won't be a dominant D but maybe we can be competitive enough for Romo and our offense to try to make one last run at a Super Bowl.
  6. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,248 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    You asked if you were the only one scared we were selling the farm for him. I said yes. Reasonable minds know we aren't moving up. Nor should we.
  7. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

862 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    And you said "reasonable minds" :)
  8. BigD5

BigD5 Active Member

292 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    The way the NFL is set up now all teams have to use a "small market" mentality. Being the most popular team and having the best marketing team doesn't do you any good anymore with revenue sharing. You can't build a brand around your team anymore. All teams are equal. Equally mediocre. Salary cap has ruined any advantage teams with tradition, popularity, great location etc ever had
  9. DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    He's been off the market for hours...
  10. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

750 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Wrote that before the Vikes signed him
  11. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

293 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Woodyard, Wooton & Melton.
    bkight13 likes this.
  12. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

550 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Woodyard on his way to visit Patriots, then Titans....
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Maybe not the only one but in the minority. He would have to fall like Aaron Rodgers or Dez to become a Cowboy.
  14. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Sounds like a good route to go. I'd be ok with that.

We need defensive line help bad.
  15. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,373 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    we are officially rebuilding .
    Wolf2k5 likes this.
  16. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

862 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I meant sell the farm like jerry trading it all away to move up is all.
  17. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,543 Messages
    1,225 Likes Received

Wasn't it 2nd worst in the history of the NFL? That's a safe bet, but doesn't mean there will be more wins
  18. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

285 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Melton and Carriker, those should come at a very affordable price.
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Those are the coaches and owner, aka Redball, Kiffin and Jerry.
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I agree with that too.