1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys notes: Jay Ratliff’s future with club is murky

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Oct 14, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,380 Likes Received
    Yes, even bigger difference 19 years ago.
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Amen to that, just tell us the truth. Stop all this soap opera stuff, it sucks.
  3. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    While sitting in the car waiting to pick up my daughter from school I heard Mosley say Ratliff hasn't been showing up at all to the facility and the cowboys do not know what he is doing.

Umm. If that's true then it is over I guess.
  4. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

303 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Uhhh, what does Jimmy Smith have to do with a 32 year old Jay Ratliff?? Absolutely nothing...
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They may be keeping this situation quite while they look for ways to cut him and not be on the hook for the salary hit. Rat sure turned out to be joke after enjoying great respect from the fan base. His attitude seems to have been a problem for a while now.
  6. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,642 Messages
    690 Likes Received
  7. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,489 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    Ratliff's groin is in bad shape, but there is some debate as to how bad it is. The team thinks Ratliff could play through the injury and probably would end up doing so if he were playing for a big contract. Ratliff's camp is of the belief that the team is cutting him in a year anyways, so it is in their best interest just to get him healthy.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,954 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    This is one of those stories that you just can't wait for the season to be over so his injury and status with the team will finally be done.
  9. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    If I'm reading the chart right, it would cost us $5.9 million to cut him.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    5,659 Likes Received
    listening to the live presser. garrett sounds like he's making a decision by the end of the week.
  11. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

800 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    It wasn't spite; it was a business decision that turned out to go the wrong way. Businessmen make decisions all the time based on risk/reward. None of them are right all the time.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,556 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Ratliff not at Valley Ranch as Cowboys continue to look at options
    Defensive tackle Jay Ratliff was not at Valley Ranch on Monday, but coach Jason Garrett said he wasn’t expected as the Cowboys continue to evaluate whether he will be able to practice now that he is eligible to come off the PUP list.

“We need to see him do a lot of things,” Garrett said. “He hasn’t practiced football in a long time. So we’ll have those discussions tonight and tomorrow and figure out what our plan is.”

The Cowboys have until Nov. 4 to activate him from the PUP list or put him on season-ending injured reserved.

Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher said it would be great to get Ratliff back, but he knows it is not a sure thing.

"It would mean a lot. He’s an awesome ballplayer," Hatcher said. "Unfortunately, what I’m hearing, it’s not good news. I’m going to stay out of that subject. But I wish him the best in all he's got in the near future."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...eferral&utm_campaign=br_cowboys#storylink=cpy
  13. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,198 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Smith got cut because he had an appendectomy, and took a long time to recover from it. Jones wanted to put him on the NFI list, and not pay him. Things escalated, and he got cut. Smith eventually sued the Cowboys for workmans compensation, and won his case. This was in 1993.

You are correct on him being picked up by the Eagles, and being cut before he was claimed by Jacksonville.
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Jay's future is mud.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    They couldn't afford to cut him.

The altercation and the DUI. I seriously think they told him a long time ago he was done as a Cowboy but made a deal to pay his salary (because they didn't want to have to take a bigger cap hit in dead money) while he just stays behind the curtain for the year.
  16. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,559 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    I say IR him and not release him.
  17. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Well-Known Member

431 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    I'm sure the truth will come to light soon.
  18. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Leave him on IR and cut him next year- hit the road jack.
  19. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Then why has he been on the field during games and helping marinelli and leon lett with the defensive line during warmups in every home game but yesterday? That would make no sense if he was told to stay away.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I didn't mean they banned him from being around the team. Just let him know that he wouldn't play.

Sorry for being skeptical about a relatively minor injury that is currently taking longer than ACLs and Achilles injuries to recover from.

Now you say that he's not informing the team of anything and they don't know what's going on while he's skipping rehab.......we can expect fines then?