1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys OL in 2012

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You know my thoughts on this and I really don't think it would be a wise long-term move .
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,873 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I agree-think it's ridiculous to think of spending so much of your resources to essentially one position and especially not guard. It either a solid FA or a high pick...not both.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,847 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    Exactly right.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received

why not take a position of extreme weakness and make it a position of extreme strength by only using one FA and one Draft pick?

This will insure that not only is Romo protected, which should be priority ONE no matter what, it will finally help us be able to run the ball on short yardage situations, a weakness that has plagued us for years.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,029 Messages
    7,513 Likes Received
    Well that might be what we do, but that doesn't mean it's what we should do.

I think you have to pounce on an opportunity when it presents itself. With the OL in such glaring need, you don't go into the draft hoping to address it. Because the players could be gone before you're on the clock. So you're setting youself up to either reach for need or fail to address this critical hole and having no shot to contend again next year.

So the only way to go about it is to make the big splash in FA to make sure you've upgraded. Then...with that done....now you're on the clock at 14. Your entire scouting department is telling you this G is head and shoulders better than any other player on our board. He's a freak. A 10 year dominator. What do you do?

You take him. That's what you do. And now you're completely tranformed a glaring weakness into a tremendous strength. You've instantly made Romo and his bag full of weapons better.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,376 Messages
    2,002 Likes Received
    the problem with this thinking is that the draft is after FA

so if we dont address OG in FA and decastro is drafted before #14, suddenly we are in a position we dont want to be in

we either have to reach for a OG there who does not deserve to be picked at 14 or try to trade down (but may not have a trade partner) or take a defensive player there

now, we have still not addressed our OL problems

i think there is no choice but to address our most glaring weakness in FA (with a top tier OG or OC) and then let the hips fall where they may in the draft so we are not left scrambling at the last minute
  7. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This.
  8. MichaelWinicki

31,847 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    It all depends on what the Cowboys feel about Arkin, Nagy, Costa and Kowalski.

You simply can't buttress all of the Cowboy's weak positions through free agency.

At some point you have to rely on young players as opposed to taking the free agency route and spending another $60 mill over 5 years or whatever it is.

If Garrett and Callahan feel that one of those youngsters can contribute at a satisfactory level at the guard position this year then I'm fine with that.

The other option if one of these guys isn't going to be ready is resigning Holland to a one-year aggreement for a couple mil.

Holland was the 16th rank guard this season.
  9. MichaelWinicki

31,847 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    How many holes are you going to try to fix through the free agency route?

Guard
    Center
    CB
    Safety
    OLB
    Back-up QB

You can't fix'em all through free agency.

Guard depth in this draft is very good.

And you have the 16th ranked guard from last season who can be resigned for a mere pittance as compared to Grubbs or Nicks.

And you not giving any of the young lineman any chance of progressing.

Again, we'll see how this spins out.
  10. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    • Holland played 10 games because he came to camp fat and can't stay healthy. And he's 31. I think he's had one full season in his entire career.
    • Costa and Kowalski are centers and this conversation is about OGs, unless you want to argue that the play of either one of these guys is likely to *enhance* the guys next to them or should be penciled in for a successful switch to OG.
    • Nagy was a 7th rounder who apparently graded out as the worst run blocker in the league in his six games before going on injured reserve.
    • Arkin shows promise, has fans on the coaching staff and will likely get much stronger, although there is no guarantee he will be ready this year. You can make a good cobble-it-together case for Arkin, which would look almost identical to every cobble-it-together argument that's been made over the last 15 years for every Tom, Dick and Scrub who has started games on the OL for the Dallas Cowboys, the franchise with arguably the worst OL in the league during that same time period.
    Please, find me a Dallas Cowboys OL that has played consistently well for more than, say, 10 games at a time in the last 15 years.
  11. MichaelWinicki

31,847 Messages
    2,575 Likes Received
    Like I said you can't rely on free agency and quick "patch" jobs like the Roy Williams fiasco and the Bigg Davis mess to cure all of the Cowboy's woes.

At some point they're going to have to figure out this draft thing.

And you need to have some faith in the current coaching regime.

And if you don't want to do that, then so be it.

Like I said before, this will sort itself out one way or the other.
  12. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    What in the world does Roy Williams have to do with this? Terrible analogy. Bigg is much closer but Nicks is much more highly regarded now than Bigg was when we took him. Grabbing Davis really was a part of the patchwork system of building OLs and was a chance. One reason I want Nicks is that he seems to be relatively safe for a FA opportunity.

At some point you have to figure out the draft thing? Well, yes, and part of that is taking BPAs even if they happen to be OL guys. I would say that a big part of figuring out this draft thing is coming to the understanding that good things cost money and that while OGs may not be as revered as most of other positions, they do tend to pay off in the first round.

Faith? I have faith, given the selection of Tyron last draft that they may have figured it out. Otherwise, I would say that I'm cautiously optimistic of this coaching staff. I certainly wouldn't say one has to have faith that coaching staffs will get it right since we have, to repeat a point, had consistently sub-par offensive lines under multiple coaching staffs for a decade and a half.

Here's what I will give you, and I've made this point elsewhere. We have a lot of holes and, regardless of how aggressively they pursue a better OL, we will most likely be able to fill some holes pretty well, thereby improving as a team, as long as JJ is willing to shell out some money.
  13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Me too, though I wouldn't object to Brewster either.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Some people miss this very important fact:

Tony Romo would not survive another year like this one.

Getting pounded and injured.

We cannot wait until the DRAFT guys figure things out.

That is total BS.

We get either Nicks or Grubs in FA and then go after DeCastro.

As regards our scrubs we have now; who cares?

Some of them might make good backups which is a good thing to have.