1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys only mock draft; rounds 1-5 only

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Manwiththeplan, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,404 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    1.) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    He's my first choice, but if he's gone, I'd take Brewster or even DeCastro in that order. He steps in at center, Kosier plays another year at guard, while Arkin/Nagy battle it out at the other guard spot.
    2.) Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
    Got off to a slow start this year, but he did prove last year he can produce with playing next to Suh (14.5 TFL and 9.5 sacks). When healthy Jason Hatcher was a great inside presence, but it appears he'll always struggle staying healthy and we could really use a guy with Crick's size that can get after the QB.
    3.) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    I really believe no team, GB, NO or PHI has the talent we have at the #1, #2 and #3 recieving threats (Witten, Miles and Dez), but we're pretty thin after that. Robinson and Phillips are okay, but we could really use a better 3rd WR or a better 2nd TE.
    4.) Ryan Lindley, QB, San Diego State
    I think they'll take a QB, and hope it's not before round 4. This is likely Kinta's last year in Dallas, so Lindley can compete with McGee for the #2 spot.
    5.) Casey Heyward, CB, Vanderbelt
    Ball hawking CB, with good size and decent speed. Hopefully we can squeeze 1 more year out of Newman. Almost have to, but so far, we've gotten good play from Jenkins, Scandrick and Ball. Tonight against Philly could be a determining factor on if we draft at CB early.
  2. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,096 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    This is pretty tight because it falls in line with a lot of my thinking. Although I havent seen Crick.

I also think we can sign Grubbs now that Schefter is already reporting that Rice will be tagged.

Tyron - Arkin - Konz - Grubbs - Free
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

12,096 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Just looked him up, thats a lot of picks by Lindey.
  4. Manwiththeplan

5,404 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    If I were Jerry, I'd send Grubbs a blank check, a pen and a ticket to Dallas
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,471 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I prefer Tannehill.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

15,590 Messages
    6,964 Likes Received
    Is Grubbs better than Carl Nicks?
  7. Manwiththeplan

5,404 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Tannehill at worst, will go early second.
  8. Manwiththeplan

5,404 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    I think so. But I'm really not a fan of 340 pound linemen. I think your body isn't meant to carry that weight and the bigger guys don't have the logevity of the guys that weigh 320 or less (Grubbs is 315, so he's not a small guy himself).
  9. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,044 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I like your plan as a whole. I'll offer this draft alternative...

1. Peter Konz (C) - Wisconsin
    Stud pivot man ready to start at the pro level.

2. Vinny Curry (OLB) - Marshall
    Big, fast guy who gets to the QB.

3. Coby Fleener (TE) - Stanford
    Great pass-catching TE who can stretch the field.

4. Geno Smith (QB) - West Virginia
    Accurate, big-armed passer with good size and excellent mobility. He dropped 463 on LSU

5. Casey Hayward (CB) - Vanderbilt
    Ball-hawking CB in the SEC. So far this season he has 5 INT's, 8 PBU's and 13 PD's.

6. Tydreke Powell (DT) - UNC
    Stocky DT who can prolly play DE or DT in a 3-4.

7. Matt Daniels (S) - Duke
    Daniels is my pet cat. The kid is 6-1, 210, covers extremely well and hits like a ton of bricks. He was a one man wrecking crew against VT. Through 8 games, he leads the team in tackles with 82, has 2 int's and 13 PBU's.
  10. Manwiththeplan

5,404 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    not bad, but Curry is going to go waaay before our second round pick.
  11. VACowboy

4,044 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Ya, prolly.
  12. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

4,020 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    Love, love, love the 1st round pick.

Not so much on the rest. Crick seems too inconsistent. Flenner is average but this is a very weak draft for TE's. I like about 8 to 10 QB's over Lindley and I haven't been impressed with Heyward at all.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

15,590 Messages
    6,964 Likes Received
    Ben Grubbs sounds like a good option. He is only 27.

The one concern is that he appears to have only played in 1 game this season due to an injury.

If they draft Konz and sign a top notch FA guard, then there would be numerous options for the other OG spot and they could have all young players as backups.

I hate having older players as backups because they take a roster spot that could go to a young player with future upside.

2012 OL:

LT - T. Smith
    LG - Top Notch FA (maybe Ben Grubbs)
    OC - Peter Konz
    RG - Preseason winner of competition between Kosier, Nagy, Arkin, Kowalski, Costa
    RT - Free

Crazy Alternate:

LT - Parnell
    LG - Doug Free
    OC - Peter Konz
    RG - Preseason winner of competition between Kosier, Nagy, Arkin, Kowalski, Costa
    RT - T. Smith

One of the local media guys said on the radio during training camp that some people in the Cowboys organization really, really like Parnell. I think it might have been one of the Cowboys writers like Mickey Spagnola. They think he just needs 1 more offseason to gain a little more strength/power.

Doug Free appears to be heavier this season. Maybe too heavy.
  14. VACowboy

4,044 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Wouldn't THAT be sweet.
  15. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,471 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    Oh I know. And I'm willing to invest a first on him.