1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys plan to be discerning shoppers - DMN

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Lord Sun, May 31, 2004.

1. Lord Sun

Lord Sun New Member

573 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Bill Parcells likes to call the NFL a talent acquisition business, and starting today the Cowboys will get another chance to sign players who had been under contract.

By releasing players today, teams can spread out the salary-cap hit over 2004 and '05, meaning some high-priced and aging veterans can be had for significantly less money.

The Cowboys have needs – cornerback, defensive line, running back and wide receiver – but they will handle this wave of free agency like the first: patiently.

"We have a couple of things in mind right now," owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "And I say at least one definitive thing. ... We just have to see if the opportunity presents itself."

The name connected most to the Cowboys is quarterback Vinny Testaverde, who is expected to be cut by the New York Jets. Because of his ties to Parcells, his familiarity with the offense and his ability to tutor the Cowboys' younger quarterbacks, Testaverde looks like a good fit.

The Cowboys cannot bank on Quincy Carter playing a full season again. Last year's backup, Chad Hutchinson, did not overwhelm in NFL Europe, which could lead to his release. Drew Henson has not played football since 2001, and Tony Romo has not taken a snap in the NFL.

"When it is over, we'll evaluate all the guys over there and see what we think, Chad included," Parcells said of the NFL Europe season.

Because Testaverde is under contract, the Cowboys could not comment about him.

The most likely candidate to be cut by the Cowboys had been Larry Allen, but the Pro Bowl left guard seems to have worked his way back into Parcells' good graces with his recent conditioning work.

Atlanta is expected to cut Tyrone Williams, who should be the most attractive cornerback on the market. But the Cowboys seem committed to Pete Hunter as the starter opposite Terence Newman. Two former 2001 first-round picks, David Terrell and Kenyatta Walker, are expected to be released and could pique the Cowboys' interest.

Walker started 43 games over three years at right and left tackle for Tampa Bay but has some off-field issues. Terrell has 86 catches for 903 yards and eight touchdowns in his first three seasons, but he and Henson had great success at Michigan.

A year ago, the Cowboys added 12 players after training camp began, but Parcells and Jones do not see that happening this year.

Said Jones, "I think our personnel is deeper and better than that."

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com
  2. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that's the first i've heard about terrell being released. he might be someone i'd like to see the cowboys sign.

[IMG]
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,704 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    He has been beaten out of a starting gig by Justin Gage. Gage was a 4th rounder, I believe, and a guy I wanted the Boys to target. He is 6'4" and a very strong athlete. A good player when the ball is in the air.
  4. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

1,067 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sounds like we're going to be frugal with our free agency shopping again. :rolleyes: ....move along...nothing to see here! :cool:
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,147 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    As I mentioned yesterday the Cowboys approach to this next wave of free agency will be......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  6. Kevlee06

Kevlee06 New Member

470 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Terrell would be someone the Cowboys should take a look at. But I'm sure there will be more WR hungry teams he'll end up at. Such as San Diego, ATL, or Baltimore.

Walker would be someone who could be used as depth and competition for the LT and RT spots respectively.
  7. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, I don't mind the frugal shopping - especially now. I hate to sound like Mickey, but these guys are available for a reason. ;)

I do like a couple of those guys though. I don't think they are world-beaters, but they would give some nice depth. I am never opposed to bringing in more guys. It just makes the competition that much more fun.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    If there is one criticism I have of BP is the fact that he hasn't addressed the CB position in FA at all.

If he is that lax again come June 2nd, and we wind up with nothing, then Hunter or TNew goes down to injury - I'm gonna be HOT!

:mad:
  9. billknows

billknows New Member

790 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed sarge, I could not see how we could let ross go,we simply do not have the depth in my veiw. But I was glad to see edwards gone w/ the tighter pass int. rulings comming this yr.
  10. Sarge

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    No doubt about Edwards. I was not an Edwards backer at all. He was simply not good.

I can't specualte as to why we cut Ross but the fact of the matter is, CB, and CB depth is a real concern of mine and we need to address it sooner than later.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,998 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received

Morning Sarge...

No, we can't have a pissed off Sarge! :)
  12. The Curly One

The Curly One New Member

587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [
    Time to go and move on. Take a serious look at Kenyatta Walker. Curly
  13. Sarge

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Morning Michael.

;)
  14. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I think he should tell Parcells to drop and give him 20 :D
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Ross was released because he questioned Bill authority when he told he him to run sprints and Ross said he didn't need to because he was already in shape.
  16. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ross was also a leader in missed curfews....Not a good way to make points with Parcells...Glad he is gone...

I wonder what Walkers off field issues are?

I am all for depth...Who knows what injuries might happen?

Oline could be an area that needs more players?...
    I still wonder what will become of Allen? He is still not lifting with the team as last I heard...
  17. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I would think that since the Redskins blew their wad early in the year, that they won't be very active now.....so that will slow things down considerably. :D
  18. hockix

hockix Active Member

1,017 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with you, Parcell and JJones are better getting a starter or depth at CB or we could be in real trouble in case of injury.

We are really thin at the position and that makes me really nervous.
    There were many good CB at the start of FA and and we got nothing. That makes our off season looks pretty bad.
  19. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,361 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I just wanted to say you've got some good taste. I have used that 5-trophies pick as my wallpaper and Randy White's my favorite player of all time. They don't make 'em like that anymore...
  20. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    appreciate the note man