1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys - Please Take a Late-Round Flier on Keenum

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SuspectCorner, Jan 8, 2012.

1. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,619 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Hopefully some of you saw the 'Ticket City Bowl' when U of Houston went against Penn State. This guy may go undrafted and initially looks like another system QB ala Mike Leach/Texas Tech system. But he throws a really nice deep-ball and has a quick release.

He eerily reminds me of another Texas high school product currently doing quite well at the NFL QB position.

Tony Romo is gonna be 32 at the onset of next season and Dallas needs to start grooming a few more young backups. Kitna is a geezer and it would be foolish to have Stephen McGee as the lone 'contingency plan'.
  2. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,042 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I'd rather go with Russell Wilson.
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received

Wilson has nothing on Keenum
  4. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Russell Wilson of Wisconsin, and G.J. Kinne out of Tulsa are my favorite late round/undrafted prospects.
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received

mine are Keenum and Chandler Harnish
  6. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Biggems, after the season debut of Ax-Men was over, I watched Harnish. He is an intriguing prospect. I know it's early, but I don't get the feeling that S. McGee has "it". And I want to be wrong here.
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i assume you are talking about brees and i agree. the guy will need to develop as an nfl qb but that doesn't change the fact that his release is as fast as romo and can check down 5 receivers in 2 seconds
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Name the successful quarterback in today's NFL who is under 6 feet tall...

I've always liked you as a devoted draftaholic, pal, but this year your posts are waaaay out there in left field...
  9. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Terrific player, but durability is a legitimate concern...
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    I like Harnish a little better. Just like his game and his escapability.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,241 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    None of these system quarterbacks pan out...idk why Keenum would be any different.
  12. cruz_aedo861

cruz_aedo861 Member

105 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Although Keenum looked great against a penn st team with no coach i just dont like him. being in houston i have watch him a ton. He is not as accurate on the deep as people think he benefits a lot from just chunkin it downfeild and letting his wr run under it the stop catch it then run again. plus he is not as tall as listed he might be 6-1 but he is more like 6-0 flat. i would be much more happy with picking up Aaron Corp as UDFA.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,376 Messages
    4,942 Likes Received
    Even if a QB is a late round draft pick or UDFA, the team is still going to be investing time, resources and a roster spot for multiple years to develop that player. Why put all of that into a player that does not have NFL measurables?

14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,923 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    I'm not so sure Keenum makes it to the late rounds.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,240 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    Same here. I like Keenum but I tend to shy away from Houston QB given the offensive system that seems to exaggerate the stats.
  16. sureletsrace

2,042 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Hmm. A guy named Drew Brees. Besides, Russell Wilson played this year behind Wisconsin's NFL-sized offensive line. Why couldn't he do it at this level? I understand the game is a step faster, but if he could see over those guys in college, why couldn't he see over them in the NFL?
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    I dont know what Brees is listed at but he was being interviewed by Aikman about a week or so ago before their game. Looked like Aikman standing next to a Pop Warner player or interviewing his son and I'm a Brees fan.
  18. sureletsrace

2,042 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    He's listed at 6'0", but he's not even that tall. He's 5'10-5'11.
  19. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,619 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    This is a BS excuse for a high-tier BCS team that just got WHACKED by a mid-major (Conf-USA) team that just plain had more talent.

As far as Keenum 'chunkin it downfeild (sic)', being as he is the Division I all-time leader in TD passes, there is plenty of visual evidence that he does just a little more than 'chunkin' it'.

I would submit that Keenum tends to have a good amount of spin on his deep ball and will gladly wager you that, for every instance of a 'wounded duck' Keenum pass of over 20 yards that YOU can provide - I can provide a 20-plus-yard 'tight spiral' visual example to the contrary. Hopwzabout a-buck-a-pop as the stakes?
  20. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Eager to see how this kid practices during the senior bowl and what opinion the coaches have about him.