1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys - Please Take a Late-Round Flier on Keenum

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SuspectCorner, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Seems many of the UH QB put up big numbers. I like Keenum and if Dallas took a flyer on him late in the draft I would not be upset but I admit I'm leery of the QB's that have came out of that program because it seems to be more about the system they play in as opposed to overall talent
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received
    Just curious: has the coaching regime that Keenum played under had any NFL QB prospects before him?
    Was Kolb one their guys?
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,300 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    I didn't get to see a whole lot of Russell Wilson this year but as a backup I could care less how tall he is.

For me I want a backup QB who is mobile and use that to their ability when they have to come in cold off the bench.

That's why I like McGee as the backup right now because he makes progress every year as a passer and he can run.

If we're looking for a starter then yes let's find someone more prototypical.
  4. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Yes Kolb was part of that program under Briles.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received

never mind. I looked it up.

Kolb played under Art Briles....same HC that RG3 has.

Keenum played under Kevin Sumlin--who was out of Oklahoma. That makes sense, as Houston's offense does resemble Oklahoma's, but they didn't have an A Peterson or DeMarco Murray.

I could see why some would be wary: as good as the OU QBs have been over the years at the college level (Heisman's, etc), Sam Bradford is the only one to pan out at the next level.

I do think Keenum will make someone's team next year.
  6. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I'm sure Keenum will get drafted and make someone team. Beyond that I have questions about his overall skills as a QB. Sumlin really did not come in and change much of what Briles did and had put in place.
  7. rooler

rooler Benched

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    give me Harnish
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I second that . I think he has a higher ceiling .